Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:55 AM

657 posts, read 406,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I wish I knew what quote you were talking about, so I could begin to mend my ways.unquote]
sakoz: By golly, your right, I could not find your reply to which I replied,"I for one, do not believe...etc".
Let me say this, before I address the rest of your quote.
"...mend my ways", you wrote. With that you 'tip us off' you don't 'get it'. That is, your not familiar with Einstein saying, " We can't solve problems we create at the same level we create them".
"..mend my ways," implies being at the level you created your "ways". All of us need to "shift" to a higher level perspective where the problem does not exist. Dreaming is an analogy to explain that; during a dream, (nightmare), your dream image/character is afraid and running from something, etc. But notice that scenario
is being witnessed impartially/impersonally, there's no danger to witnessing. When we are awake, "ego" functions like the image character in the dream. By shifting to higher perspective, 'ego' antics are witnessed.
We are not born with 'ego', it's constructed later, like the suit in the Iron Man movie with Robert Downing jr.

quote=
If I go to bed at night at peace with myself, and fall asleep quickly and sleep soundly with certainty that all is as good as it gets in my world, in what way are my beliefs defective or deficient, and why need I address them with an eye to bringing them up to some standard?
the 'certainty that all is as good as it gets in my world", comes from your 'believing' that thought; don't mess with that thought, it's working fine for you.
The only "standard" for your other thoughts, do they cause/elicit the same "certainty" and good feelings as the one you think when going to bed. (Maybe you "do get it").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:

If I go to bed at night at peace with myself, and fall asleep quickly and sleep soundly with certainty that all is as good as it gets in my world, ......
quote= "....and sleep soundly with certainty that all is as good as it gets in my world."=unquote

While asleep you are not thinking the thought; "all is as good as it gets in my world". Only after you awaken, can you think that thought in retrospect.
Dreamless sleep is as good as it gets; I certainly agree with that.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Have you considered the distinct possibility that you have suffered some type of stroke or traumatic brain injury?
Slow day to-day compared to yesterday, so I'll comment on the above "bait".
I'll start with the story of 3 umpires:
The first one said; "I call them as I see them".
The second;"I call them as they are".
The third; " They ain't nothing until I call 'em".

A insult is only a insult if you construe and believe your construction.
You don't "have to" replicate another's construction, especially if you recognize they want to hurt you.
Don't be party to their game, and they 'flop'.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I wish I knew what quote you were talking about, so I could begin to mend my ways.
see your reply #49

Old 11-12-2015, 07:46 AM

The title of this thread is; "Have you learned to regulate your 'believing' ?"
NO one has asked; "Hey sakoz; have you learned to regulate your 'believing?"
Thanks to rugrat (#54), you can decide whether I have or not. rugrat presented a question that both Miss Hepburn (#59) and homina12 (#60) indicate they 'believe' was intended as a insult.
If I don't 'believe' it's a insult, then I don't emote to it.
Think of rugrats question as a sugar pill used in placebo experiments. If the subject does NOT believe it's medicinal, they don't experience the "relief effect".
When 'believing' is not involved , then neither the pill nor the remark reacted to, not experienced.
Take the perspective of the third umpire. You 'can' avoid experiencing needless, unpleasant emotions.
You can decide whether you emote to what others say, not them. You are not a puppet; unless you concede to react like one. Even Pinocchio changed.
If you want to regulate your emotions, the key is to regulate your 'believing.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:28 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,170,420 times
Let's edit the word "believe" to just "be". Belief is superfluous to existence.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Let's edit the word "believe" to just "be". Belief is superfluous to existence.
If you edit the word "believe" to just "be" you won't have clue why you experience unpleasant emotions.
Most people already don't yet recognize the role of believing plays in their experiencing unpleasant emotions.
Please don't make it harder to recognize the 'problems' believing false thoughts cause.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:44 AM

The title of this thread; "Have you learned to regulate your "believing"?" You might ask; "Why?"
I found from personal experience and from hearsay, that "automatically believing" what bullies say is not pleasant. There are other contexts as well where "automatically believing" is not optimal.
Some times our own thoughts are not worth 'believing automatically' because of the consequences experienced.
False thoughts are typically dysfunctional, so why 'automatically believe' them? only to find 'after the fact' that they were not worth believing.
I'm not suggesting WHAT to believe; I'm pointing out that; "recognizing and regulating believing" is a way to avoid experiencing unpleasant emotions. (if you so choose).

Old 11-14-2015, 11:00 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,035,274 times
If someone told Hitler, "you're an a__hole!"

Who is correct?

Old 11-15-2015, 07:53 AM

When we "unknowingly believe", we don't/can't know the results we are going to get/experience; till after-the-fact.

If there's more than one way to interpret/understand this, please list it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology