Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 06:27 AM

5,399 posts, read 3,589,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

How do you cope with the winter months?
I go for long walks. I've got to get out sometime and get some fresh air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 06:34 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,807,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's here again - those dark winter months where many people go to work in the darkness, and leave in the darkness. As I age, I seem to be having a greater difficulty adjusting to it.

I don't mind the cold that much, just the darkness! I left work tonight and it was pitch black, 50 degrees, raining, and hard to see. It was utterly miserable. During these months, I barely do anything after work, other than go to the gym two or three times a week, and basically come home and sit on the computer or play Playstation.

How do you cope with the winter months?

The standard joke in these climates is that we only have two seasons--winter and construction. I just accept the hibernation factor, and do a lot of cooking lol.

I really do like the changes, though. But I understand how oppressive these gray skies can be, especially when it's day after day. I have two friends who are seriously impacted negatively by these shorter days and gray clouds (they have S.A.D.). It doesn't impact me to that extent but I have to say that I, too, get tired of the dark, the dismal, and being wet so often. No wonder kids hate it around here.

My husband was making noises about moving to Maine (we have relatives there, too). I told him My God, we're going in the wrong direction!

Yeesh.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:02 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,245,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I have a small attached greenhouse which I have not used much in recent years. But yesterday, I purchased a lot of inexpensive house plants, plus inexpensive thrift-shop baskets to cover their plastic containers. The greenhouse will get cleaned and tidied up some more this afternoon and the new greenery will be installed by the end of this weekend. I have some outdoor fern baskets and similar things which will also go into the greenhouse to be wintered over, along with some violas which I never managed to get potted or into the ground. Now they can be potted in the greenhouse, and will add some color to all the green.

Thus, I'll have a convenient small green escape from winter's dreariness, when spring seems far away, nightfall comes early, and the sun stays behind the clouds for days on end.

I might even start seedlings, come late winter. I lack a green thumb, but I certainly can manage to water things once a week or so, and won't feel guilty about neglecting the greenhouse anymore.
Sounds lovely! What part of the country or larger world do you live in?

Old 11-14-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I make our home cozy for fall, then transition after Thanksgiving to make our home wintery.

Stupid dollar store decorations and holiday candles make a huge difference for me.
Interesting! I have started decorating for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Solstice in the last 5 years or so. I also buy stupid dollar store decorations. Decorating does lift my spirits.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Thankfully I'm not emotionally affected by the weather. For those who have to deal with SAD and live in extremely cold climates, it has to be very difficult for them.
My SAD didn't manifest until menopause. Then it hit me really hard. Suddenly, I understood why Mom had always said how much she hated winter. "Hate, hate, hate!" she would say about the long nights. I get it now.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:11 AM

Someone earlier made the point about not overdoing it with the light boxes, and that is a good point. Start slow, like 5-10 minutes a day, and work yourself up to 20-30 minutes a day. If you use it too much, it can actually be too activating and increase anxiety. Also, avoid using it from mid-afternoon on (assuming you don't work nights), because it can disrupt sleep patterns if used too late in the day.

But overall, my light box has made a huge difference in my winters. If anyone is curious to read more research about light as a treatment for depression, Colombia University has a group that has done a lot of work on light therapy:
Light Treatment Center | Department of Psychiatry - Columbia University Medical Center

Old 11-14-2015, 09:45 AM

10,541 posts, read 7,716,981 times
Latitude 58 here, and the seasonal darkness has never been a real adversary of mine.
A vacation to the tropics or growing plants with high intensity lighting may help.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,513,169 times
I have mostly northern European ancestry and like the lower lighting conditions and shorter daylight hours. I can't stand direct harsh sunlight, but would prefer a more northerly location to my present location at 38N, hopefully remedied in a few years. The one advantage of my current location is that it does have a decent amount of rainfall and clouds. I always take extra Vitamin D in the winter, regardless of where I live.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:02 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,521,066 times
Well, where I am living now, everybody likes to pretend they're really rough & tough & that SAD doesn't exist...but it does.

I'm trying a 10,000 Lux light. I tried "happy lights" before, but they were the cheap ones with the blue-ish light, and apparently they are not helpful.

When I'm able to walk safely, I do that, but I've had some orthopedic issues that have limited my mobility quite a bit, so now it's a little scary to walk on slippery surfaces, and there are a lot of them here.

I'm also taking more Vitamin D, but not sure how much to take.

I think the best solution is to try to get to a sunnier climate during the gloom, but not everyone is able to do that...I know I can't. I now understand the "snowbird" concept...it's not just about the snow, it's about escaping the gloom.

It also helps to know that you are not alone with this issue. I'm relieved to have seen this post. Now I'm going to go back and read what everyone else said.

There's a reason why places like Southern California & Florida are so popular.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:26 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,521,066 times
I think it's worth mentioning that some people just NEED more sunlight. I just found that out about myself.

I moved from a more southern latitude to a more northern one. I was one of those people who spent a lot of time in the sun, so much so that it damaged my skin & caused pre-skin cancer issues. I really couldn't take the heat and intense sun anymore, so I thought I would be fine in a cooler, cloudier climate. It took about 4-5 years of dark winters for it to catch up to me. Now it has.

Now I realize that I baked myself in the sun all those years because I really, really needed it to feel OK. Hope I can make it through another dark winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology