Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:46 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times

Advertisements

another gloomy dark dank day here in south Texas. Day 3 of thyroid meds and 6 of vitamin D. Where the hell is the sun??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 10:10 AM

39 posts, read 82,223 times
Can you suggest where to buy these? LED Bulbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I live with "S.A.D."...SAD is Seasonal Affective Disorder,and am bipolar {manic/depressive}, and get depressed every winter...

I replaced EVERY light bulb in our house with full spectrum daylight compact flourescent{?} bulbs, then changed to "full daylight" LED bulbs,when they came out. These have the effect of "adding" sunlight to the house. They work well,and are all turned on all over the house.

There are any number of "full spectrum daylight" lamps available online..type that into you favorite search engine or your favorite online e-tailer to find one. They may help you.
Finally, I try to take a vacation the last week of Jan and the first week of Feb to a warmer sunnier southern destination.

Best of luck to you in this coming winter!

Old 11-20-2015, 02:35 AM

11 posts, read 6,955 times
This may seem silly, but I started an indoor garden in a atrium and set up a metal halide light and ballast. It's so similar to daylight it shocked me. That light and life impacted me more than I'd imagined.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:41 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,101,913 times
Only way I'm trying to cope is by switching my driving job schedule to day-time pickups.
Leave when the sun is coming up and at least try to get back before it completely sets.
I would like to say that I'm a night person, but after dealing with the horrors of snow-storms and darkness that the headlights of the semi could barely pierce through, I feel the job is a lot easier with the added safety of visibility.

That said, I'm just putting in enough time here to get my EMT cert added and then it's off to Phoenix I go.

I also notice many people talking about going to the gym and working out around here, but that seems to be a no-go for me when trying to up my mood.
I go in feeling like nothing, leaving feeling sore and then not sleeping.
Only to get tired later.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:53 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey621 View Post
Can you suggest where to buy these? LED Bulbs?
They are called Daylight bulbs. You can get them where regular light bulbs are sold. They also sell 'sunlight' bulbs which are much the same. I use these two exclusively since with doing crafts you see the true colors.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:30 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Have been on vitamin D and new thyroid med for almost three weeks. I feel better. It's dark and gloomy and I'm okay!

Old 11-27-2015, 02:56 PM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
I LOVE dark and dreary days. A cozy fire, a good book (or movie), and something hot to drink, and color me happy!

Old 11-28-2015, 04:54 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
I like cloudier days with less sunlight, I dislike driving on wet roads at night with massive glare.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,101,913 times
The clouds and icy roads have been amiss in this part of the land for two days now.
Nothing spells a desperate day than a 25 mph top speed in order to not go spinning off into the ditch.

About the only thing that looks good on days like these is when you notice the freight train moving along, unmolested by weather conditions, at 55-70 mph.

All I could think is "What I would give to be the guy driving that locomotive instead!!"

Old 11-29-2015, 04:38 PM

203 posts, read 321,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's here again - those dark winter months where many people go to work in the darkness, and leave in the darkness. As I age, I seem to be having a greater difficulty adjusting to it.

I don't mind the cold that much, just the darkness! I left work tonight and it was pitch black, 50 degrees, raining, and hard to see. It was utterly miserable. During these months, I barely do anything after work, other than go to the gym two or three times a week, and basically come home and sit on the computer or play Playstation.

How do you cope with the winter months?
Very bright lights in my lamps at home (daylight ones) and good fish oil. Makes a world of difference for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology