Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I go to my local Church of Christ and read the Bible every chance I get....and I long for death because it will be the ultimate victory and sweet peace.....that is how I cope.....I also have pale skin and I am Transylvanian I kid you not.......death has always comforted me....
sounds like you're the life of the party......or just kidding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:49 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I've been working the night shift/10p-6a for close to 14 years, sleep every day from around 10a-6 or 7p, and I'm just the opposite, I love waking up to darkness!

If you ever work the night shift for as long as I have, you will want even more darkness, as my eyes, today, just can't handle all that day light anymore, it's just too irritating, discomfiting to my psyche.

It's now midnite, will be taking a 1-2 hour walk with my ferret at around 1:30 am, and then a 1-2 hour bike ride after that.

I'm 65 now, and I have no hopes I'll ever become a normal human being again, even after I retire. Darkness has become too seductive for me!

Old 11-11-2015, 03:11 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
SAD (seasonal affective disorder) lights, about an hour per day. Buyer beware.

Giving in to my harvest-season cravings and eating large amounts of food that are high in carbs and fats, so that I can fatten up in preparation for the winter famine season.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:54 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
I go to the gym a lot and try to still run or ride my bike despite the darkness.
Sometimes just a long walk.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:22 AM

445 posts, read 770,768 times
I too hate dealing with this.....one thing that truly helps is tanning. Even just a few minutes a few times a week. You can probably find a tanning place for like $20 a month, its worth it

Also, exercise in general helps, as well as getting up earlier and enjoying the early morning sun

Old 11-11-2015, 06:32 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
"Seasonal Adjustment Disorder" was called the winter blues not too long ago. I used to suffer the second week of December. Now I hang out in an extra-ordinarily bright sunroom. This is not rocket science. A lot of people need more sunshine/daylight than they get during the winter time.

aka: vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
I love the cold and the dark, it makes me happy. I can't stand the heat and extreme sunlight.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:17 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,803 times
Changes in latitude, changes in attitude.
I moved from New England to California to get rid of my depression and for my health.
Moderation of California wine helps also on the weekends.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:58 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Dealing with the dark used to be worse for me when I was younger and S.A.D. was an issue. I love winter and I have great snow gear so I'm out and about a lot. Learning to ski has also made me embrace the winter. There's nothing more beautiful then being on the slope at sunset and doing a little night skiing. I love riding my bike after 1230am when it's dark and the streets are empty. It was around 38 degrees the night before last when I rode for two hours. I take vitamin D as well. Summer is nice and I love when the sun sets at 930pm but I've grown to love winter even more. I can't wait for our next big blizzard. We were snowed in for almost three days once. It was so much fun. You just have to learn how to make your own formula of lemonade.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:19 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's here again - those dark winter months where many people go to work in the darkness, and leave in the darkness. As I age, I seem to be having a greater difficulty adjusting to it.

I don't mind the cold that much, just the darkness! I left work tonight and it was pitch black, 50 degrees, raining, and hard to see. It was utterly miserable. During these months, I barely do anything after work, other than go to the gym two or three times a week, and basically come home and sit on the computer or play Playstation.

How do you cope with the winter months?
I am just the opposite. I hate the glaring sunshine and heat. I look forward to this time when it gets darker earlier. The sun is still so bright during the day. We rarely have an overcast day. Can you not go outside on breaks and lunch? It doesn't get dark here early enough for it to be a problem, I wouldn't think, with anyone. You described the perfect weather to me, " pitch black, 50 degrees, raining,". The "hard to see" part would be bad. Otherwise, that's perfect reading weather. I know of someone who moved to Iceland, and it's dark a lot there, and cold, and they were from NY, and worried about the climate before they moved to Iceland, but they just love it there. That's where I need to live. Or Norway, somewhere around there. The Faroe Islands.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:52 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
I love the cold and the dark, it makes me happy. I can't stand the heat and extreme sunlight.
This. I also like the fog and the rain. It makes me feel alive and more energetic than ever. And just the opposite, too much heat makes me want to die.

Last edited by Norne; 11-11-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology