Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 11:14 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
I totally do not agree. I don't like kids - there are very few exceptions - but in general, no, I don't like kids. That's not the same as saying one doesn't like black people, or another race, etc - I don't see that.
It absolutely is. "Children" is a group of people that encompasses billions, spread across continents and cultures and varying in age from 0 to early teens... to say that you "don't like them" with very few exceptions is basically the same as saying that you don't like people of another race or culture, or old people, or sexual orientations, or whatever other metric we are going to use to isolate these people into a group with very few exceptions. You probably don't see it that way simply because you've told yourself that you don't like them, and who really wants to face the fact that they're harboring a bigoted social opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 11:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
I totally do not agree. I don't like kids - there are very few exceptions - but in general, no, I don't like kids. That's not the same as saying one doesn't like black people, or another race, etc - I don't see that.
Out of curiosity, what do you see as the difference? Do you not agree that in each case, one is writing off an entire subset of the population wholesale, with little, if any, regard for individual differences within that population?

Old 12-29-2015, 04:46 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
I'm in the "don't care to be around children" camp. I like the concept of children and all; I just don't like to be around them much.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:17 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
I agree. The groups he listed are protected classes to one extent or another, children are not.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I agree. The groups he listed are protected classes to one extent or another, children are not.
Children are indeed a protected class - there are many laws designed to protect children from abuse or neglect, which they are unfortunately at much greater risk of experiencing than adults for obvious reasons, and a sprawling social infrastructure in the US to this end (www.childwelfare.gov would be a start).

Old 12-29-2015, 10:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
This is a holiday workday, and kids are running around everywhere. Uh, take a day off work if your kid is out of school? I can only hope none of them is contagious but, invariably, one of them is. If they can bring their kids to work (everyone thinks they're "cute," or say they do, or are at least supposed to pretend they do), I should be allowed to bring my cats!

Old 12-29-2015, 11:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't think there's anything at all with not wanting to have kids, and that anyone who doesn't want them shouldn't have them. No one should be shamed for their desire to not have them any more than they should be shamed for their desire to have them.

I do think there's something wrong with not liking kids, which to me, is like saying that you don't like black people, the disabled, immigrants old people, Jews or Muslims, etc. If you are willing to say that you don't like an entire group wholesale, then you are probably a crappy person. It saddens me that saying "I don't like kids" has become an acceptable stand-in for saying that you don't want them, when they are two extremely different things.

Child molesters like children. I don't like kids enough to be around them for long. But even if I detested kids, that is a whole different thing from liking them and damaging them. Liking does not mean the liker is a decent person.

People should be free to say they don't like kids. I believe that was part of the OP's intention in starting this thread.

Last edited by pikabike; 12-29-2015 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-29-2015, 12:45 PM

607 posts, read 602,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
People should be free to say they don't like kids. I believe that was part of the OP's intention in starting this thread.
Exactly. I don't like kids, and I don't care whatsoever if anyone doesn't like me saying that - I'll continue to say it, because it's true, and if people don't like it, they can ignore me. Get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It absolutely is. "Children" is a group of people that encompasses billions, spread across continents and cultures and varying in age from 0 to early teens... to say that you "don't like them" with very few exceptions is basically the same as saying that you don't like people of another race or culture, or old people, or sexual orientations, or whatever other metric we are going to use to isolate these people into a group with very few exceptions. You probably don't see it that way simply because you've told yourself that you don't like them, and who really wants to face the fact that they're harboring a bigoted social opinion?
Lol, if it's a bigoted social opinion, so be it - I stand by what I say, and I have no issue with it. However, I don't think it is (a bigoted opinion).

Old 12-30-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Child molesters like children. I don't like kids enough to be around them for long. But even if I detested kids, that is a whole different thing from liking them and damaging them. Liking does not mean the liker is a decent person.
Liking them doesn't automatically make them a good person - of course. Automatically disliking them doesn't necessarily, either, though this implies that the person is at peace with being a bigot.

Quote:
They are free to say they don't like kids - just like people are also free to say that they don't like any other group of people. As soon as you go out there and say, "you know what? I don't like _____ people," don't be surprised when people start viewing you in a negative light. They're well within their rights to do just that.

Quote:
Exactly. I don't like kids, and I don't care whatsoever if anyone doesn't like me saying that - I'll continue to say it, because it's true, and if people don't like it, they can ignore me. Get over it.

Lol, if it's a bigoted social opinion, so be it - I stand by what I say, and I have no issue with it. However, I don't think it is (a bigoted opinion). [/quote]
No one can stop you from saying it or thinking this way, I just think it's sad for someone to be so willfully ignorant.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:30 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,649 times
Some kids I can kind of like -- as individuals.

I enjoy being around kids who have been exposed to little television, and have learned to play naturally outdoors. I can talk bugs, and dinosaurs, and trees and rocks all day with kids like that, and go climb trees with them.

What I cannot stand are the "entitled"-mentality kids who have already internalized that they "deserve" everything just for having been born, and style themselves off of what they see on Disney channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology