Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 05:23 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,950 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I don't know where to post this but I would like to discuss this.

I wanted to get tested to see if I have a learning disability, but the tests are too expensive, so I took some online that were free to get an idea if I have dyslexia. I have always suspected that I have moderate dyslexia. I struggled in reading comprehension and taking tests. I could read a simple line a couple times and still not understand what it really means. I have read books before and couldn't tell people what it was about. Strange thing is, I was good at spelling though. I was always slower than my peers. I wet my bed until I was 18. I was either a class clown or very quiet. I struggled socially in school because of my low self esteem in understanding people verbally. Even to this day I don't do well socially in school but if you take me outside of school with the same people, it's like I'm a different person. I still got by and did well in all of my classes because I can think strategically and see the big picture and have very intelligent thoughts. I'm also great at memorizing things so a lot of the times I would just memorize something without really comprehending it but this doesn't really help you get by in the outside world. I'm mentioning these things because that's what the test I took online asked of me. I didn't realize those were characteristics of someone with dyslexia. The test does say I have moderate dyslexia.

I'm a writer and while I can get the big picture and the concept down, I struggle with writing the actual thing and having it make sense. I do well with big ideas but if I had to actually write something, I feel like I'm just putting random words down on paper. I'm starting to think of changing my career path if I can because it seems scary to me to try and do something professionally that I struggle in. Or I can try and overcome it and have actual sentences make sense to me.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to deal with adult dyslexia? Are there careers out there better suited for people with dyslexia? I did some googling and it said that people with dyslexia are better at delegating tasks to other people and managing things. I do feel like I'm better at that than doing the actual thing myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 10:00 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,345,635 times
OP, dyslexia is nothing to be ashamed of.
Many well-known people have suffered. Actor Henry Winkler admits that he was dyslexic. Just keep following your dreams and ambitions. There is help out there. You are not alone in your struggle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology