Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:40 AM

40 posts, read 26,346 times

Advertisements

I recently ended a relationship with someone who kept on pointing out the imperfections in me and always comparing me to other girls and complimenting them , sometimes just to make me jealous , the remarks were not only for me but for my friends and how this one is too skinny and the other has an ugly face and how would a man accept to be in a relationship with such ugly girl etc.

After much thinking i discovered that he chose to be with me because he thought i have better chances of having high social status in the future , all he keeps talking about is money and how rich families are living a luxurious life , he rarely offers to see me and talk about our relationship but on the other side kept on clinging to it ...I feel betrayed because i loved him for who he is but i failed to notice his real intentions , as a consequence i started feeling unworthy of love and how i should work on having a perfect body because his words repeart in my head every time i look in the mirror even after our break up , i'm not that beautiful nor ugly , i'm not skinny nor overweight , i just prefer a more natural look and avoid putting on too much make up , i know i should love the way i look and dress up but i can't do it , he really hurted me , so what should i do to overcome my fear of being imperfect and be able to trust men again ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 08:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
You have developed what is called a reflected sense of self. It's like other people are mirrors and your only idea of your worth is based on what you see reflected back to you. You don't want a reflected sense of self. That is like saying, "I am who I am in YOUR eyes. I need your approval in order to feel good about myself." That is NOT a good way to live.

Read through this page:

**We all start out dependent on a reflected sense of self

What you want is a solid sense of self.

After you read it, Click through the tabs on the side of the page to see how to work on getting that solid sense of self.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:35 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I went through a similar experience, and yes, you can and will get past it. I had a boyfriend in college who treated me that way. I would obsess over every little flaw I had because he would point them out, on me, or on other people, but then refer to me. I was naturally like 115lbs, but after having mono I went down to like 109, and he said he wanted me to stay at that weight, so I actually bought into it. He even had me obsessing about the tiny, almost invisible blonde hairs on my face and arms. He would enjoy having me stand naked in front of him so he could "inspect" me. Is one of your nipples bigger than the other? Did you always have that line between your a$$ cheek and the back of your thigh? I used to actually feel grateful when he would find something good to compliment about me!

I finally dumped him at the end of college, and I realized that this was his way of controlling me, and trying to ensure that I wouldn't leave him. After all, I had all these horrible flaws, no other guy would want me, so I was lucky to have him, right?

It's now like 20+ years later, and I do not regret that relationship. I'm grateful I had that experience, when young, so I could learn from it. It was him just brainwashing me, because of his own inferiority. Yes, you feel awful now, but in the long run you'll be better off now that it's over, but also having benefited from that bad experience.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:46 AM

215 posts, read 185,480 times
Rather than write the same old thing over and over again I kindly direct you to the end of this thread here, where I explained how I came out of my low/zero confidence funk

I feel 100% good with myself now by the way after nearly a lifetime of mental self-abuse

//www.city-data.com/forum/psych...l#post41987473
That's the link, on the last page

If I ever find Bob Griswold out somewhere I'll probably give him a bear hug and a kiss on the cheek (no homo)
The man saved me

His tapes on confidence, love, relationships were a life changer
I'd listened to them every day for months and months and months until all the mental **** cleared away

If your Google-fu is good you might be able to find his audios for free on the web
If not, his CDs and tapes are worth whatever they are

Good luck! They should teach this stuff in school, seriously

Old 11-23-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Read through this page:

**We all start out dependent on a reflected sense of self

What you want is a solid sense of self.

After you read it, Click through the tabs on the side of the page to see how to work on getting that solid sense of self.
Thank you for the link , i will check it later when i'm free , and yes i see myself becoming more dependant on what other people think of me .

Old 11-23-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I went through a similar experience, and yes, you can and will get past it. I had a boyfriend in college who treated me that way. I would obsess over every little flaw I had because he would point them out, on me, or on other people, but then refer to me. I was naturally like 115lbs, but after having mono I went down to like 109, and he said he wanted me to stay at that weight, so I actually bought into it. He even had me obsessing about the tiny, almost invisible blonde hairs on my face and arms. He would enjoy having me stand naked in front of him so he could "inspect" me. Is one of your nipples bigger than the other? Did you always have that line between your a$$ cheek and the back of your thigh? I used to actually feel grateful when he would find something good to compliment about me!

I finally dumped him at the end of college, and I realized that this was his way of controlling me, and trying to ensure that I wouldn't leave him. After all, I had all these horrible flaws, no other guy would want me, so I was lucky to have him, right?

It's now like 20+ years later, and I do not regret that relationship. I'm grateful I had that experience, when young, so I could learn from it. It was him just brainwashing me, because of his own inferiority. Yes, you feel awful now, but in the long run you'll be better off now that it's over, but also having benefited from that bad experience.
After reading your post , i realized too that feeling inferior is what drove my ex to behave that way too , and yes , i felt exactly like he was doing me a favor by accepting to be in a relationship with me because no other guy would , but the question is why would a man stay in a relationship that is making him feel inferior ?shouldn't moving on and finding his equal be the best solution instead of destroying a woman's self-confidence?

Old 11-23-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeliber View Post
Rather than write the same old thing over and over again I kindly direct you to the end of this thread here, where I explained how I came out of my low/zero confidence funk

I feel 100% good with myself now by the way after nearly a lifetime of mental self-abuse

//www.city-data.com/forum/psych...l#post41987473
That's the link, on the last page

If I ever find Bob Griswold out somewhere I'll probably give him a bear hug and a kiss on the cheek (no homo)
The man saved me

His tapes on confidence, love, relationships were a life changer
I'd listened to them every day for months and months and months until all the mental **** cleared away

If your Google-fu is good you might be able to find his audios for free on the web
If not, his CDs and tapes are worth whatever they are

Good luck! They should teach this stuff in school, seriously
I will look them up on google ,the CDs seem very helpful with such cases .

Old 11-23-2015, 03:46 PM

657 posts, read 407,761 times
Loyal Heart: Read that article that Wmsn4Life provided, read till you know it by heart and believe it.
Also read what I wrote for Norne in his thread; "How do I get rid of anger and hatred?"
"Thought Recognition' is the key.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:53 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
for gods sakes,,,,, why in hell would you live to seek approval or acceptance from someone else??
why give others power.control/judgement over you????????????????????

you aren't 10 yrs old,,,you are an adult,,,act like one,,,,buck up buttercup and be the woman you want to be

we may be the sum of yesterdays,,,,but we can be whatever we want to be today and tomorrow

Old 11-24-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
for gods sakes,,,,, why in hell would you live to seek approval or acceptance from someone else??
why give others power.control/judgement over you????????????????????

you aren't 10 yrs old,,,you are an adult,,,act like one,,,,buck up buttercup and be the woman you want to be

we may be the sum of yesterdays,,,,but we can be whatever we want to be today and tomorrow

Sometimes we accept some things that are unfair and unreasonable just to protect that love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology