Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
You de. But I give and do for others because I am kind and nice and want to be a good person. Hopefully some day I will get rewarded for my effort.
That's one of your problems right there. You think you're supposed to be rewarded for being a good person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 05:16 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,203 times
Quote:
You do not know me at all. I sacrifice for others all the time. I am always doing for others. I have had two additional kids all day while I have painted two rooms in my house.

Last weekend I devoted all of Saturday helping a friend pack up and clean her entire house. Tomorrow I am volunteering at a charity. I give, give, give to everyone.

But I painted all by myself today. No one to be found to help me. But I give and do for others because I am kind and nice and want to be a good person. Hopefully some day I will get rewarded for my effort.
That's not nice. That's the thing. The way you talk, it comes off like "I am nice, so why isn't it paying off. Meanwhile others aren't as nice, and get everything." You don't do nice things in hopes of getting a reward. You do them because you're nice and want to. And that would be its own reward. It's like "nice guys" or "the friend zone" in dating. They do these things to themselves to get whatever woman they want, then when they don't, they get bitter and act like women are the problem.

Martin LK jr. did very great things. And how was he rewarded? With assassination. But he was trying to help other people, and it paid off for others. But it still had a tragic ending for him. People fought to put an end to slavery. A terrific thing, but some died trying to liberate people. So doing the right thing repaid them with death. And their families lost loved ones in the process.

So if you do all these nice things, but will be resentful or aggravated that you aren't getting anything in return for it, it's best to just not even bother. Because it's not genuine.

Last edited by HappyRain; 11-27-2015 at 05:41 PM..

Old 11-27-2015, 05:58 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times
You must look beyond Facebook and have Thanks that you live in the greatest country in the World. I forget the exact statistics but, over 90% of the World's populace live on $1.00 a day.

And, why are so many refugees, at great danger, running to the Western Cultures! It is amazing that the Media, with a straight face, can contend how awful the West is and how over the years colonized and harmed the indigenous cultures in the Third World. The Thirdies know where the opportunities are and are rushing to grab all they can.

So, the bottom line is, be very thankful you were born into this culture and have as much as you have. I bet you have a big-screened TV in your home? A smart phone? An automobile? And, other items the richest people in the World, kings and queens, could never have dreamed of a hundred years ago!

Old 11-27-2015, 06:24 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
What about trade school. You can just get training in a particular skill, and you don't have to go long. it's not like a 4-year school where you go, and take a bunch of crap that may have nothing to do with our particular job goal..

Clearly doing whatever you are doing isn't working. Why not give trade school a try? You can get experience in a better field that may be more in demand, and pay better money.
What do you suggest? And when will I find time to take classes? I already work full time.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:28 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,203 times
Quote:
What do you suggest? And when will I find time to take classes? I already work full time.
Some posters gave advice on that in one of your other threads. I think there's tons of assistance available. You just have to take the time and look into these things. Go to one of the other sub forums, and explain your situation and ask people who may be familiar with schooling as a single parent.

And it would only be a short while. Because some courses for trade school can be done in less than 1 year.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:42 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
I dunno.

How about all that time you spend dating because it's not fair that you have kids and they suck up all your life?

Old 11-27-2015, 06:56 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Quote:
Yes, this.

I just do the best that I can. It just gets frustrating when others have it way easier and then there is me. everything is 2 steps forward, three back. It gets old.

Next year is my year. I won't say it can't get worse, because every time, I have said that...it got worse. 2016 is going to be different. It has to be.
Okay, good start. So, what are you going to do differently in 2016?

Old 11-27-2015, 07:00 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
Quote:

I work full time. I'm in graduate school. I will graduate in May. My classes are at night. They also have online programs for people in your situation that may struggle to make it to class. I have a sitter that I use for my son, since I am a single mom as well.

I'm sorry that you are not thankful because you've been going through a lot.

I've told you this before, but you need to work on your beliefs... There are so many problematic beliefs I see that you've demonstrated in this thread that are really making it difficult for you to become the person you want to be and to have the life that you want. The statement, "seeing is believing", I believe it's opposite--" believing is seeing". Everything that you see right now in your life is a reflection of everything you've believed.
These beliefs that you have are limiting you from progressing, and probably also why you continue to have negative luck.

I wish you luck OP--I'm not in your situation, but I understand that it is difficult being a single mother and penny pinching. I have a friend who has 5 kids, and a 6th on the way, broke as I don't know what, with a husband that is like child--he loses jobs left and right and her situation is much worse if I would elaborate it--but when she's called me crying(numerous times) I've tried to tell her the same thing. The problem is people don't really believe that their beliefs influence their thoughts, their behaviors, their actions, and thus their reality.

Blaming others or something else, takes the burden off your shoulders, but you are the master of your life. If you don't like your life, you can CHANGE it.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:41 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
"The world is a joyful mystery to be contemplated with gladness and praise!" Pope Francis.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:27 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
Get off Facebook.
Stop trying to feel like you have to compete with others.
Concentrate on YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology