Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:34 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,671 times

Advertisements

No one can tell me this isn't true. If you see a really good looking person (especially female) working at McDonald's or some other labor job most people's reaction is "what are you doing working here"? People also tend to trust attractive people more and treat as more deserving and such. I can't really explain it but I see how certain people interact with others. I never understood this because I'm not intimidated by attractive people and usually interact the same as everyone else but you will regularly hear "you should be a model" or something along that line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 11:41 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
No one can tell me this isn't true. If you see a really good looking person (especially female) working at McDonald's or some other labor job most people's reaction is "what are you doing working here"? People also tend to trust attractive people more and treat as more deserving and such. I can't really explain it but I see how certain people interact with others. I never understood this because I'm not intimidated by attractive people and usually interact the same as everyone else but you will regularly hear "you should be a model" or something along that line.

Not everyone is so shallow.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:56 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not everyone is so shallow.
Most all people are. Sad truth. We live in a very materialistic world.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
It's an actual thing:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...e-discriminate

Old 12-01-2015, 07:16 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
As humans, we are hardwired to be attracted towards certain traits in other humans just like how certain insects are attracted toward certain colorful blooming flowers.
As much as political correctness has tried to modify human behavior, deep down inside us all is a sexual gene that awakens when certain physical attributes present themselves.
We are now conditioned that you only can just be aware of it but not do anything about it for the fear that something bad will happen to you.
Your realization of what you see around you is the vestigial awareness of a bygone period in human development.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:37 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I've heard the golden coin of worth for a man is intelligence and for woman it's beauty....attractive men get advantages as well. I think we are programmed by our DNA to give deference to beauty and intelligence as well as physical prowess in men.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,043 times
About 40 years ago I read about a study done with a class of psychology students. They were all given a picture of a girl, about 10 or 11. The story was, she had been severely misbehaving, throwing stones at her brother, pulling the cat's tail, belligerent to parents.. etc. The students were asked to pick the phrase that they felt most apt.

But half the class got a photo of a very pretty girl, and other half got a photo of an ordinary, somewhat unattractive girl.

Unanimously, the students who got the picture of the better looking child, said "She'll grow out it - it's just a phase." The comment chosen by the students who got the other child, said "She needs to see a therapist as she is probably mentally disturbed."

I do think we are all capable of this prejudice. I try to be aware of it as much as possible and I think it helped me to read about such a study all those years ago but hey, there's a lot to be said for experience. Surely as we grow, through school, work, families, friends, customers, suppliers, etc. we all run into beauties with evil hearts, and unattractive people that we would trust with our lives?

Old 12-01-2015, 07:47 AM

215 posts, read 185,465 times
When there are no enemies in our lives we construct them
That's why the so-called ugly is made an affront and the beautiful are blessed

Old 12-01-2015, 10:05 AM

455 posts, read 388,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
This is so true and so sad on so many levels. Once upon a time i was fairly rotund (fat) and I was treated very badly, no one opened doors for me, generally ignored me in public. Then I got fit and fine and OH boy was I treated differently. Cars would stop to let me walk across the street, doors were opened for me, I got smiled at all the time, was always getting special deals at the coffee shop etc. Then I got fat again and the first cycle started all over. The great part is that I don't care and it gives me a personal perspective to ensure I never have those biases.

To somewhat add, it's interesting to work virtually. I am a high performer, well liked, high achiever, have a highly regarded work reputation UNTIL I go to an in-person meeting. It is so funny to see how some people treat with me. The day before we talked on the phone and I was your BFF but today you find out I'm fat and you act like you'll catch it! I just laugh so hard on the inside I find out fast who thinks with their eyes and who thinks with their head.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:15 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,151 times
And we absolutely get paid more for being attractive... even if we don't qualify for the job, ironically.

Lesson learned: never tell someone what you're making. Especially if you suspect its more than what they make.

I've unintentionally created some frienemies in the past by telling some women what I was making (mostly $15+/hour more than them.. and for much less work.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology