Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2015, 03:04 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Whats with people here mAking a deal out of spelling?
Its a forum where you create threads and get help and information
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Did you come here for a discussion or a civilized discussion?

Touche!

Personally, I don't live in a gutter, and don't like to talk to people who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 03:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Have been having trouble with my autocorrect and go back to correct and as soon as I send it has auto corrected again. Then I have to edit the post. Many times the correction isn't even close. Yesterday it favored the word watercress!!! Have no clue how to fix this.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:01 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Have been having trouble with my autocorrect and go back to correct and as soon as I send it has auto corrected again. Then I have to edit the post. Many times the correction isn't even close. Yesterday it favored the word watercress!!! Have no clue how to fix this.
Yep auto correct on the iPhone is my biggest reason for editing my posts LOL

Old 12-06-2015, 04:44 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Good communication includes care for proper spelling and grammar as well as what one says with them. We should always care, in a public forum, to write well. It is respectful to oneself and to one's audience as well as to the topic in discussion. One should also respect that the nature of online communication is naturally more error-prone than formal writing due to its speed of delivery. However, one does have time to edit one's posts in these forums, so it makes sense to check your post for errors and fix them if found.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:58 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Good communication includes care for proper spelling and grammar as well as what one says with them. We should always care, in a public forum, to write well. It is respectful to oneself and to one's audience as well as to the topic in discussion. One should also respect that the nature of online communication is naturally more error-prone than formal writing due to its speed of delivery. However, one does have time to edit one's posts in these forums, so it makes sense to check your post for errors and fix them if found.
Yes Yoda.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:49 PM

172 posts, read 251,726 times
Different people have different skills. Some people write well but are terrible at, say, math or science. My dad was awful with things like spelling & grammar but was very smart in other ways. I might have a slightly better grasp of grammar, spelling, and punctuation than some of my co-workers. But they have other skills I only wish I had.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:16 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Speellinh iz dum,

Old 12-06-2015, 07:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Yes Yoda.
via Imgflip Meme Maker

Old 12-06-2015, 08:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBinkies View Post
Different people have different skills. Some people write well but are terrible at, say, math or science. My dad was awful with things like spelling & grammar but was very smart in other ways. I might have a slightly better grasp of grammar, spelling, and punctuation than some of my co-workers. But they have other skills I only wish I had.
This, pretty much.

If someone is posting on the Writing Forum, I expect a higher degree of literacy than I might from most any other.

For the most part however, on any forum, I try to focus on the core message and not necessarily how correctly it was presented.

I know my verbal/literary skills are above average but I'm not allowed near power tools.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I'm wondering when it became the norm to leave out the comma before "and" in a list...is this a new rule or just something people are doing now because they don't know any better? I've been noticing this a lot lately in professional writing, i.e., novels, magazine articles, etc. Every now and then I see it left out and it affects the meaning of the sentence, but I can't think of an example off the top of my head.

When I was in school (granted, a long time ago) we learned to write it this way: "...special guests, dancing, and games."

Any professional writers around that can answer my question?
If I understand it correctly either usage is correct. In other words, it is up to the writer. I was taught to use that last comma too. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I have it that the no comma usage is an import from Britain. But someone else may have better information about that. But I see no last comma usage all the time in well written stuff, so I assume it is now standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology