Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 07:29 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times

Advertisements

I wondered that also, but its rather easy to figure out. My guess is though CD has a mixture of people from all backgrounds. It seems to have a high percentage of higher income types, and I assume higher education. Plus some rather rude and angry types that appear from time to time. People that feel the internet gives them a way to say what they want. Even if it means having bad manners. We see it with the internet every single day, no matter what website we use.

The worst that has been said to me in reference to this subject was this. I was wondering if English is your first language, because my guess is it isn't. I assume it was meant as a slight or insult whatever the word. Well that person was partially correct. I learned both Irish and English as a child as both languages, were used in the part of Ireland I lived. So both languages were my first languages. I believe that person spotted some difference in a spelling or whatever and played on it. I believe they didn't like the way I spelled a word or two, as not being American enough. That if I lived in America I should know how, to spell in American English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 07:03 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
This doesn't even make any sense. Academic or not, if one has been "dumbed down" enough to not be able to use proper grammar, punctuation, and correct spelling to the point that I have to WORK to understand what they are trying to convey, I'm out. No response from me. Thanks for playing.
If a person tells you " you'er leaving your hat, and they'er leaving their hats, " do you require that they pronounce you'er, your, their and they'er differently? How can you be sure that they know there is a difference between the two? Would you not respond if their diction was not up to the level of convincing you that they knew the difference? I spent enough of my valuable time grading papers, or suffering fools to know an anonymous forum is the last place to pass judgment on a person based not on writing but posting. You can't judge a book by its cover.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:02 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
in b4 mod lock

gonna play devil's advocate here. I don't care about grammer either. sometimes, explorer autocorrects which is good. but I am usually at work and writing out rushed responses and I don't bother with grammer, capitalization, and all that crap. sometimes, ill try, but other times, I am either busy at work, drunk, or just lazy. im relatively successful otherwise so I don't care what people on here think. people can think I am dumb all they want, but I know I aint, and that's all that matters.

don't listen to these people. they have a superiority complex with the whole grammer thing. theres always something people are insecure about, so they find flaws in other and belittle them for it. lack of spelling or grammar is the easiest thing to call out someone on without actually knowing them.
See, this is the problem, right here: People who think that spelling correctly and using proper punctuation and grammar is tantamount to a "superiority complex." This kind of thinking is similar to that used by people in the black community ridicule other blacks for speaking proper English. They accuse them of trying to "act white." Here, you're suggesting that people who care about using proper spelling and grammar "and all that crap" are acting all high and mighty.

Anti-intellectualism in America is as old as America.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:06 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,416 times
Because people always look opportunity to show they are better than you. For people with gift of understanding grammar and or also other languages, they have grammar nazi syndrome..

But people generally should do their best with every language. Try to tell things that others would understand and not use new alien language from the newest star wars..

No need to be perfect but do your best.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:13 AM

366 posts, read 494,089 times
I appreciate correct spelling and grammar so I can read what a person is saying and understand them. Now this being the internet, I am happy to let lots of things slide. But overall, your writing should make your thoughts understood to others because that's the whole point of the thing.

I love silly phrases like the "I can haz cheeseburger" meme-talk and stuff like "teh" and "FTW!" etc. It's a sort of slang and silly vernacular of the internet.

I do hate when people use "should of" instead of "should've", though. Meh.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:49 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
See, this is the problem, right here: People who think that spelling correctly and using proper punctuation and grammar is tantamount to a "superiority complex." This kind of thinking is similar to that used by people in the black community ridicule other blacks for speaking proper English. They accuse them of trying to "act white." Here, you're suggesting that people who care about using proper spelling and grammar "and all that crap" are acting all high and mighty.

Anti-intellectualism in America is as old as America.
not sure what your racially charged rant has to do with the discussion, but if youre hell bent on using proper spelling/grammar then fine. but don't berate, belittle, or correct me if I don't place as much importance on it. if you are going to detract from the actual discussion to publicly call me out or correct my grammar, then yeah, I will think youre acting like a "high & mighty" douche.

as long as I get my point across and you can easily make out what im trying to say, then I don't see any problem. others may care about how they are perceived on the interwebs based on their grammer, but I don't.

it has nothing to do with blacks or anti-intellectualism(WTF??).

Old 12-17-2015, 05:14 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
not sure what your racially charged rant has to do with the discussion, but if youre hell bent on using proper spelling/grammar then fine. but don't berate, belittle, or correct me if I don't place as much importance on it. if you are going to detract from the actual discussion to publicly call me out or correct my grammar, then yeah, I will think youre acting like a "high & mighty" douche.

as long as I get my point across and you can easily make out what im trying to say, then I don't see any problem. others may care about how they are perceived on the interwebs based on their grammer, but I don't.

it has nothing to do with blacks or anti-intellectualism(WTF??).
My "rant" wasn't "racially charged" at all. I used that as an analogy only. But you're rather sensitive. What you refer to as being "publicly called out" is simply addressing the points you made on a PUBLIC forum.

I haven't read this entire thread, but I noticed that you seemed to "call out" other posters and "belittle" them for THEIR opinions. And, clearly, you don't seem to be able to hear other opinions without resorting to name-calling.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:20 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
My "rant" wasn't "racially charged" at all. I used that as an analogy only. But you're rather sensitive. What you refer to as being "publicly called out" is simply addressing the points you made on a PUBLIC forum.

I haven't read this entire thread, but I noticed that you seemed to "call out" other posters and "belittle" them for THEIR opinions. And, clearly, you don't seem to be able to hear other opinions without resorting to name-calling.
nah, you are incorrectly interpreting what i was trying to say and then bringing race into this. you don't even know what im talking about when i say publicly called out. im talking about being publicly called out for grammar, not on the points i am trying to make. how is someone directly addressing the points someone made on a particular topic when they are pointing out grammatical errors? by the way, wtf does grammar have to do with black people? the majority of black people dont even act that way, at least not north of baltimore anyway...lol. maybe you are listening to too much rap. that analogy made no sense. perhaps that is a "dixie" thing to make that connection. i only started in on this thread because every grammar cop on here seems to think they are better than everyone else with their holier than thou attitude. so then they correct & call out people while enclosing personal attacks, so why shouldn't i do the same? and they are making spelling & grammatical errors themselves! hypocrisy 101 in session! if you are going to hire a personal trainer, are you going to pick a morbidly obese person??? i think not. btw, i rarely namecall, i only tell people they're acting like a [insert expletive here]. there's a difference.

if you are offended so much be someone's grammar, just ignore them. they probably have already ignored you long before you ignore them anyway. they will not change for you so it is an exercise in futility.

Last edited by StAcKhOuSe; 12-18-2015 at 06:38 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 02:53 AM

161 posts, read 136,971 times
gonna play devil's advocate here. I don't care about grammer either. sometimes, explorer autocorrects which is good. but I am usually at work and writing out rushed responses and I don't bother with grammer, capitalization, and all that crap. sometimes, ill try, but other times, I am either busy at work, drunk, or just lazy. im relatively successful otherwise so I don't care what people on here think. people can think I am dumb all they want, but I know I aint, and that's all that matters.

don't listen to these people. they have a superiority complex with the whole grammer thing. theres always something people are insecure about, so they find flaws in other and belittle them for it. lack of spelling or grammar is the easiest thing to call out someone on without actually knowing them.

Hmm..relatively successful guy writing like that. He sounds dumb as a bunch of rocks. Funny he's either busy at work, drunk..or just lazy. Gee..that says a lot for him.

I could muddle through his few paragraphs and put up with his lack of punctuation and run on sentences, but when he said, "I know I ain't"..I knew right away either he was a redneck..or talked like one.

BTW..one of my pet peeves!!

Old 12-19-2015, 03:07 AM

161 posts, read 136,971 times
Sometimes it's not even the written word, but how people speak.

Nothing drives me crazier than to hear someone say, "I ain't got none" or "She don't like that"

Yes, I am a horrible grammar Nazi and can't help but notice when it's either on paper..or when people speak, as in my head, "YES..I am secretly correcting your grammar"

My husband is a well educated man but uses the worst grammar ever!! He's one of those, "I ain't got none", "She don't like that kind" grammar users. My comebacks are usually, "She doesn't have any? Oh, that's too bad" or, "She doesn't like that kind? We'll look for something else then."

I'm secretly correcting him every time and he knows it. Good. He needs to learn how to talk English instead of some backwoods Redneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology