Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 08:31 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourdaywillcome View Post
gonna play devil's advocate here. I don't care about grammer either. sometimes, explorer autocorrects which is good. but I am usually at work and writing out rushed responses and I don't bother with grammer, capitalization, and all that crap. sometimes, ill try, but other times, I am either busy at work, drunk, or just lazy. im relatively successful otherwise so I don't care what people on here think. people can think I am dumb all they want, but I know I aint, and that's all that matters.

don't listen to these people. they have a superiority complex with the whole grammer thing. theres always something people are insecure about, so they find flaws in other and belittle them for it. lack of spelling or grammar is the easiest thing to call out someone on without actually knowing them.

Hmm..relatively successful guy writing like that. He sounds dumb as a bunch of rocks. Funny he's either busy at work, drunk..or just lazy. Gee..that says a lot for him.

I could muddle through his few paragraphs and put up with his lack of punctuation and run on sentences, but when he said, "I know I ain't"..I knew right away either he was a redneck..or talked like one.

BTW..one of my pet peeves!!
work hard play hard.

how can i "sound" dumb on a visual message board?

speaking of dumb as rocks, do you not know how to correctly quote someone? pot...kettle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 04:18 AM

216 posts, read 212,892 times
Quote:
Why do people on City Data Forum make a big deal out of spelling and grammer?
I feel it's a very petty thing to focus on when it's the message that's important. It's similar to when people get focused on an accent and think because that person talks differently, they must be dumb.

P.S. by the way "grammar" is spelled wrong

Old 12-21-2015, 08:03 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
Cool It's the Message that's important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse444 View Post
I feel it's a very petty thing to focus on when it's the message that's important. It's similar to when people get focused on an accent and think because that person talks differently, they must be dumb.
However, in this case it's true, because the message isn't really getting out.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:19 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
However, in this case it's true, because the message isn't really getting out.
The message is getting out and depends on the mood of the "receiver."
Har-har! ( writing thread is under w's with a sports thread in it's own special column)

I don't think others know when someone is keyboarding a phone, either.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
See, this is the problem, right here: People who think that spelling correctly and using proper punctuation and grammar is tantamount to a "superiority complex." This kind of thinking is similar to that used by people in the black community who ridicule other blacks for speaking proper English. They accuse them of trying to "act white." Here, you're suggesting that people who care about using proper spelling and grammar "and all that crap" are acting all high and mighty.
Wow, this is an an amazingly spot on analogy. (Forgive me for the one small edit made!)

Old 12-21-2015, 11:57 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
not sure what your racially charged rant has to do with the discussion, .
It's not racially charged. It's just an example of how people who have low standards want to drag everyone else down to their level by accusing the group with the higher standards of being "high and mighty", "white" or whatever. People with low standards in different groups just attack with different epithets, but it's all the same thing.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:15 PM

221 posts, read 282,808 times
In my case, whether or not I pick apart grammar depends on what is being said.

If a person is replying to me and calling me stupid, they'd better not write it, "Your stoopid."

If a post is poorly written to the point it would be annoying to me to try and translate, I don't bother reading it.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:56 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegubmintworker View Post
In my case, whether or not I pick apart grammar depends on what is being said.

If a person is replying to me and calling me stupid, they'd better not write it, "Your stoopid."

If a post is poorly written to the point it would be annoying to me to try and translate, I don't bother reading it.
I agree with this, especially the last part. If I see that you just willfully too lazy to capitalize and punctuate and check your spelling, I skip the post. Now there are A FEW posters who seem to have a genuine learning disability. One long-time poster is upfront about his dyslexia. Of course he can't help it.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:08 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Because it's a reflection of who you are.

Truly intelligent people don't "take off" and start misspelling because you're not "writing for work" or a grade. An educated person reaches a point at which it's painful to make spelling/grammar mistakes.

It happens, yes, and typing a lot on phones makes it harder, but being lazy and not even trying is 1) a negative trait, and 2) makes the reader's job harder.

If you really want help and information, you don't make your potential helpers work twice as hard by navigating your spelling and grammar errors.
That's your thinking in the matter. However, it actually shows a strong bias.

In actual fact, people obsessed with grammar and spelling are likely to be the same bastards that lock actual talented (yet unschooled) applicants out of job applications because their work looks wrong on paper.

In actual fact, judging people on the way they talk or write is highly elitist, and sometimes a type of covert racism. We should help people, not judge them on their style.

There is another issue here. Perfectionism.

And for the record, I do not consider writing style as anything other than expedient for the moment. I learned English grammar, and aced it all through college. I did persuasive essays, and have even written 100+ page books. I tend to prefer to use colloquial English, because I prefer to write how I speak (and Facebook has a great impact on this).

Old 12-28-2015, 10:33 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You're welcome, and thanks for not taking offense.
I'm always up for learning something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology