Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 08:12 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times

Advertisements

Some people come to post and some come to write. IMO posting is not writing. Although it is in the best interest of the powers that be that a poster utilize the elements of writing, as it might be a reflection of the collective intellect of the forum, posting exist some were between written language and spoken language.

Many people get degrees in English and Technical Writing today not because they like to write but because many; scholars, intellectuals, and creative people can't write. And conversely, many people who have the fullest command of the elements of written language can not get up in front of an audience and speak.

I might also add that I really don't think people come to an anonymous forum seeking the Holy Grail. I will take bad writing any day over a long rambling manifesto lacking content but well written.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 12-05-2015 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 08:50 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Using bad grammar and/or misspelling simple words is the internet version of meeting someone while dressed like a slob. Makes you look lazy and apathetic.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:59 AM

484 posts, read 561,055 times
Writing is a way of conveying your thoughts/opinions to others. On computers, we can't see your non-verbal communication. We can't hear your tone of voice. All we have is your written words. As others have pointed out, poorly written posts with bad spelling and grammar give others the impression you don't care about how you look, and don't care if people can't understand you.

Some people, who communicate only by text messaging, have lost so much of their spelling and grammar that it's hard to even understand what they are writing.

For example:

bob he and she down with ROFLOL, see etwy and was gonna, like

This is a real sentence that was posted on another board. That's the total post. I copied it word for word and put it on my bulletin board.

Punctuation, often the first thing to be left out of a message, can change the meaning of your words:

Let's eat, Grandpa.
Let's eat Grandpa.

Commas save lives.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:09 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquring81 View Post
Writing is a way of conveying your thoughts/opinions to others. On computers, we can't see your non-verbal communication. We can't hear your tone of voice. All we have is your written words. As others have pointed out, poorly written posts with bad spelling and grammar give others the impression you don't care about how you look, and don't care if people can't understand you.

Some people, who communicate only by text messaging, have lost so much of their spelling and grammar that it's hard to even understand what they are writing.

For example:

bob he and she down with ROFLOL, see etwy and was gonna, like

This is a real sentence that was posted on another board. That's the total post. I copied it word for word and put it on my bulletin board.

Punctuation, often the first thing to be left out of a message, can change the meaning of your words:

Let's eat, Grandpa.
Let's eat Grandpa.

Commas save lives.
haha I chuckled at that.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:34 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Ocd.........

Old 12-05-2015, 09:44 AM

743 posts, read 766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Whats with people here mAking a deal out of spelling?
Its a forum where you create threads and get help and information
Some people on these forums are jerks and want to feel superior to others.
On the Philadelphia forum there's quite a few who can't wait to pounce when they feel somebody is 'wrong,' they just need to be right ... they're a very unfriendly bunch, but I give it right back to them.
I also get a kick out of the jerks who feel the need to mention their educational level and how often they travel, regardless of the topic.

Last edited by Steinish; 12-05-2015 at 09:55 AM..

Old 12-05-2015, 09:54 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Obsesive Complusiv Dissordur? Rood? Infearioritie Compleks?

I think some people just make mistakes when they type. So I don't consider grammar or spelling when considering what they have to say. I make mistakes too so, I don't bother pointing other people's errors. I consider it rude to make someone feel embarrased for an honest mistake anyway.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:07 AM

743 posts, read 766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
in b4 mod lock

gonna play devil's advocate here. I don't care about grammer either. sometimes, explorer autocorrects which is good. but I am usually at work and writing out rushed responses and I don't bother with grammer, capitalization, and all that crap. sometimes, ill try, but other times, I am either busy at work, drunk, or just lazy. im relatively successful otherwise so I don't care what people on here think. people can think I am dumb all they want, but I know I aint, and that's all that matters.

don't listen to these people. they have a superiority complex with the whole grammer thing. theres always something people are insecure about, so they find flaws in other and belittle them for it. lack of spelling or grammar is the easiest thing to call out someone on without actually knowing them.
I'm good with the spelling, but not so much with mechanics or technology. I wouldn't want someone who's good with these two things (or anything else for that matter) looking down on me for not knowing how to fix a leaky faucet. We're all good at certain things ...

Old 12-05-2015, 10:12 AM

54 posts, read 77,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
OMG, OP, if you're going to start a thread, at LEAST spell the words in your title correctly.

I know, I'm older and grew up with spelling bees and grammar lessons almost every day in school, and it bothers me to see such decline in spelling and grammAr. Modern technology (spell check, computers, texting) is NO excuse!

It also bothers me when someone doesn't care about them.

I find it hard to even read a poorly constructed sentence, poor grammar and miss-spelled words included.
^^ This. I lose focus when someone forgets Paragraph Breaks; it makes it hard to take it seriously.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:29 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
they always tell you to write to the level of your audience, and since i write on a fifth grade level, then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology