Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 11:51 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
It's hilarious how so called Christians act at business holiday parties.
There's all kinds of sinning taking place.
Now I'm wondering how other religions act when they get together for their holy days.
God knows that we really don't set good examples for them.
hm... good point. OP, is the community where you live heavily into religion? Could explain the abandonment of propriety in the presence of alcohol, and her attitude about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 12:02 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I haven't even seen that behavior at my FRIENDS' parties, let alone my work parties. I'd say it was unusual. I've even attended office parties for people living out in redneck rural PA - guys who were forklift drivers and warehouse workers - and it didn't get crazy at all. Sure, at any of those parties a lot of people got drunk (I know of at least one post-party DUI) and a few people might have hooked up after, but nobody was groping each other or publicly making out or grinding. That's just weird.

I work from home in another state from where my company is based, so my coworkers and I have been known to get blitzed when we see each other after a long time. I've been with the company since it was a startup, and the atmosphere is very personable despite the mostly electronic communications. We all know each other's business. I suspect when you are so personally invested in your coworkers, they no longer seem like forbidden fruit and you're invested in their happiness and welfare. Plus, what I find interesting is that everyone at my company who is currently married is very happy with their current relationship. So maybe that keeps folks from straying and letting it all hang out.

I feel like when you're invested in your community (whatever type of community) at a personal level, you are less likely to cross certain lines within that community. For example, my one relative has a very close-knit co-ed group of friends that was built up during high school and continued to grow after. Exes are included in the group, interestingly enough - and everyone gets along. When her husband cheated on her, he did it with people no one else really knew.

I do wonder if the atmosphere at this particular company in the OP's post has a sort of isolating or highly competitive atmosphere.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:21 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
It's hilarious how so called Christians act at business holiday parties.
There's all kinds of sinning taking place.
Now I'm wondering how other religions act when they get together for their holy days.
God knows that we really don't set good examples for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
hm... good point. OP, is the community where you live heavily into religion? Could explain the abandonment of propriety in the presence of alcohol, and her attitude about it.

I must have missed the part where the person said that this was a Christian (or any other religious affiliated) party.

It was a Christmas party where it seems the majority of people got drunk and engaged in sexual behaviors.
This happens occasionally at parties but is usually limited to a smaller number of people who may or may not be called on the carpet and/or fired. Perhaps next year the company should forgo the alcohol (although from the friends comment that it was no big deal getting groped. it seems like this behavior happens a lot in this organization). What kind of company is this, OP?

Old 12-15-2015, 02:34 PM

971 posts, read 688,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hour and a half outside DC and no, not a super religious area.
To address other responses, age group of those involved 21-55ish, party started at 6pm ended at 11pm. NOT my coworkers, i was a guest.

I wasn't offended, merely surprised at how business professionals all making six figures (not that it matters) behaved like this, and the fact they did it in front of their wives/husbands and gf/bf.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:35 PM

971 posts, read 688,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I haven't even seen that behavior at my FRIENDS' parties, let alone my work parties. I'd say it was unusual. I've even attended office parties for people living out in redneck rural PA - guys who were forklift drivers and warehouse workers - and it didn't get crazy at all. Sure, at any of those parties a lot of people got drunk (I know of at least one post-party DUI) and a few people might have hooked up after, but nobody was groping each other or publicly making out or grinding. That's just weird.

I work from home in another state from where my company is based, so my coworkers and I have been known to get blitzed when we see each other after a long time. I've been with the company since it was a startup, and the atmosphere is very personable despite the mostly electronic communications. We all know each other's business. I suspect when you are so personally invested in your coworkers, they no longer seem like forbidden fruit and you're invested in their happiness and welfare. Plus, what I find interesting is that everyone at my company who is currently married is very happy with their current relationship. So maybe that keeps folks from straying and letting it all hang out.

I feel like when you're invested in your community (whatever type of community) at a personal level, you are less likely to cross certain lines within that community. For example, my one relative has a very close-knit co-ed group of friends that was built up during high school and continued to grow after. Exes are included in the group, interestingly enough - and everyone gets along. When her husband cheated on her, he did it with people no one else really knew.

I do wonder if the atmosphere at this particular company in the OP's post has a sort of isolating or highly competitive atmosphere.
Highly competetive.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:45 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
The best two ways to lose your job are:

1) Going to a company Christmas party, and

2) Drinking at a company Christmas party.

I HATE company parties, and Christmas parties are the worst. When I was forced to go, I made sure I drank diet Coke, ate a few snacks, and KEPT MY MOUTH SHUT ! I have seen people get a few too many and they start telling their bosses what they really think of them or of the company !

Pretty much this is why I don't socialize with folks I have to work all day with. Some things are best kept separate.

Don

Old 12-15-2015, 04:53 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
Highly competetive.
I really think that may have something to do with it. In days of yore, investment bank parties could get totally insane from what I understand. When people are in a pressure cooker all the time, it can get pretty intense even when they're letting off steam.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:15 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
I'm quite shocked by what you've described--and I've always worked with lots of type A young men who like women, and were very testosterone-driven. But I've never heard of groping, boob-grabbing, making out, almost procreating on the dance floor, etc. at any COMPANY (!) party.

I could see a couple going off to be by themselves for a while. But all that openly lewd behavior at your friend's Christmas party is pretty outlandish. I can't believe that people would behave this way in front of their managers. Wow...

I think that what you saw was quite unusual.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:33 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
I must have missed the part where the person said that this was a Christian (or any other religious affiliated) party.

It was a Christmas party where it seems the majority of people got drunk and engaged in sexual behaviors.
This happens occasionally at parties but is usually limited to a smaller number of people who may or may not be called on the carpet and/or fired. Perhaps next year the company should forgo the alcohol (although from the friends comment that it was no big deal getting groped. it seems like this behavior happens a lot in this organization). What kind of company is this, OP?
Good point ! Now I realize that just because it was called a Christmas party, it didn't mean that it was a celebration of Christ and his birthday which would dictate that people act in a Christian fellowship like behavior.
The party actually could have been a Pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice which would dictate that people get drunk and engage in sexual behaviors.

In that case, there was a lot of political incorrectness going on with that misrepresentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology