Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 04:02 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times

Advertisements

Here is my opinion about the personality disorders... They are essentially ALL normal parts and facets of the human condition that the majority isn't comfortable with. That's why they can't drug you out the gills for having these supposed maladies. At the end of the day, that is all they are, maladies. Professionals shy away from the personality disorders, generally because most people with personality disorders don't buy into a LOT the BS that gets shoved down our throats as humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 04:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
For starters, psychopathy is no longer a recognized diagnosis. Disorders previously known as psychopathy and sociopathy are a part of the umbrella of personality disorders in the current version of the reference for mental health diagnoses, the DSM-5, and the former psychopathy now falls under new terminology.

Antisocial Personality Disorder is now the designation. The word "antisocial" is not used in the colloquial context in this case (i.e. it doesn't have anything to do with the conversational meaning the lay person might assign to being "antisocial," such as being "quiet" or "withdrawn"... that's not the "antisocial" being referred to, here. It is the literal sense of antisocial, i.e. "against society."

The diagnostic criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder must include, according to the DSM,

A. "A pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three or more of the following:

1. Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors, as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest.
2. Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure.
3. Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead.
4. Irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults.
5. Reckless disregard for safety of self or others.
6. Consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations.
7. Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.

B. The individual must be 18 years of age minimum for diagnosis.

C. There is evidence of conduct disorder with onset before age 15 years (conduct disorder is basically the "baby stages" of antisocial personality disorder, and affects youth under 15. It's essential that the pattern of disregard for and violation of others rights must be present in childhood or early adolescence and continue into adulthood).

D. The occurrence of antisocial behavior is not exclusively occurring during the course of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, or those diagnoses would take precedence.

Those are the criteria for what was formerly known as psychopathy. It's by far more common in males than females, although it is possibly underdiagnosed in females.

Second, for your question, if you have these traits, sufficient for diagnosis in a full assessment, is it a bad thing? Does it matter?

Answer: Probably. It's called a disorder because it is maladaptive. Because people with this disorder tend to be consistently and extremely irresponsible, they often have difficulty keeping jobs, suffer extended periods of unemployment, can't/won't pay their bills, don't necessarily have a realistic plan for getting another job when one is lost, etc. So that's a bad thing, generally speaking. Irresponsibility can also lead to sexually acting out, which may result in high-risk behavior with harmful consequences. Due to irritability and aggressiveness, those with this disorder are prone to behaviors that often lead to prosecution and jail time. Not good things, really. Many with this disorder are impoverished and homeless, ultimately.

By adhering to a pattern of deceit and manipulation of others, and lack of concern for others health, safety, and wellbeing, those with this disorder will likely have a hard time making/keeping friends, will likely alienate themselves from family and peers, and, if they have children, may behave in ways that endanger them and may lose the right to see them. Now, a person with antisocial personality disorder may well not be fazed by lack of friends, peers who are avoidant, and may not care about not seeing family or friends. But most would find this type of isolation to be a bad thing.

You say that you do not feel you are manipulative; manipulation and deceit are major features of the disorder. An inflated sense of self-worth/self-appraisal may be indicated in this disorder, but it's also a part of many other personality disorders (see, narcissistic personality disorder, for instance, which wouldn't involve the aggression, deceit, or impulsivity of antisocial personality disorder) Lack of empathy is another trait that is a part of APD, but also many other disorders.

Whether or not you are a person with antisocial personality disorder, the fact that those around you see maladaptive traits in you may be reason enough to explore what's going on with your behavioral/mental health.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:04 PM

when I said "our" i mean in general. I've never been diagnosed with one, but I have my suspicions. (definitely not of the psychopathy variety, no offense lol). We are human beings with minds that have been distorted, raped, and manipulated with now for thousands of years. Pick and choose your battles.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:06 PM

Thanks for posting that, TabulaRasa! I was not even aware of that.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Here is my opinion about the personality disorders... They are essentially ALL normal parts and facets of the human condition that the majority isn't comfortable with. That's why they can't drug you out the gills for having these supposed maladies. At the end of the day, that is all they are, maladies. Professionals shy away from the personality disorders, generally because most people with personality disorders don't buy into a LOT the BS that gets shoved down our throats as humans.
There is a difference between having various personality traits and features and a full-blown mental health disorder that meets full criteria.

Having personality traits or features that fall below the the threshold for mental disorders may or may not affect one's functioning significantly.

Full-blown disorders meeting entire diagnostic criteria, yes, are going to have a strong negative impact on most areas of functioning. They by their very definition aren't normal parts and facets of the human condition; they fall outside the range of norms, and negatively impact one's life. People suffering from the former psychopathy, now APD, for instance, are at extremely heightened risk for, among other things, becoming incarcerated. Behavior and conduct so extreme that it results in a high likelihood of being imprisoned isn't, in fact, a normal part and facet of the human condition.

Re: drug therapy, the main reason pharm. therapy is less indicated for personality disorders is that most really don't respond particularly well to meds (or to treatment in general - a very specialized form of CBT has shown some slight success, but, really, even that is pretty marginal). It's not because it's just a mild malady. It's because it's severe enough to be pretty minimally treatable. Even incarceration has little effect; it just contains those with APD...people with APD tend to be rigid in their antisocial beliefs and in their decisionmaking, are highly unlikely to learn from their mistakes, and so punishment has essentially no effect on the behavior or condition.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting that, TabulaRasa! I was not even aware of that.
It's essentially straight from the DSM-5. There's a lot of other information about differential diagnoses, since other personality disorders share some, but not all diagnostic criteria.

It's interesting stuff to check out, and it's exactly what mental health professionals use to make diagnoses.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:27 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, of course you like it. You're a psychopath!

Yes, it's bad, and yes, you should be concerned.

You also should seek therapy.
Why? If OP likes himself, why change? I'm being serious. As long as OP doesn't break any laws, and many psychopaths don't, there's no reason for him to do so. Now if he has trouble having a successful relationship and that bothers him, then therapy might be in order. (Assuming this thread is real, that is).

Old 12-15-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
when I said "our" i mean in general. I've never been diagnosed with one, but I have my suspicions. (definitely not of the psychopathy variety, no offense lol). We are human beings with minds that have been distorted, raped, and manipulated with now for thousands of years. Pick and choose your battles.
Well, yeah, and also bear in mind that a stand-alone personality trait does not a pathology make. People can be manipulative and not be "psychopaths." People can be low on empathy and not have a mental health disorder. Telling lies in and of itself is not a diagnosis, etc.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:31 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
There is a book you might enjoy, OP. Its by a woman who thought she was a psychopath/sociopath, and went to get a formal psychiatric assessment to find out. She was then diagnosed as one (yes, this diagnosis is not formally in the DSM anymore).

Anyway, she wrote a book about herself.

Even if its not all true (no way to know), its a good read.

Confessions of a Sociopath

Then there is this book- a neuroscientist discovered his brain scan looked a lot like those of known psychopaths - The Psychopath Inside - I haven't read this one yet

Old 12-15-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why? If OP likes himself, why change? I'm being serious. As long as OP doesn't break any laws, and many psychopaths don't, there's no reason for him to do so. Now if he has trouble having a successful relationship and that bothers him, then therapy might be in order. (Assuming this thread is real, that is).
One would typically seek help if his or her behavior is significantly impacting social and/or occupational functioning and/or his or her ability to care for him/herself. As is the case with most mental health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology