Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:21 PM

583 posts, read 707,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
I love them.

There are very few of them in western WA, however. Maybe you should head to the west coast.

Trust me, I have been seriously thinking of moving to Seattle in the future. I have a friend who lives out there and he says that even though the storms are few and far between there, when there is thunder it's LOUD! We was talking on the phone a couple of months ago and I heard the thunder in the background and I was like "wow!" Even he was terrified. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 01:12 PM

578 posts, read 425,012 times
I've never heard any thunder (in the five years I've lived here) that compared to the storms I experienced in the Midwest. And when it does happen here, it's only a couple of booms -- long enough to get excited and say "Was that thunder? Are we actually going to have a thunderstorm?" and it's gone. No light show, no downpour. Just weird random thunder.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:12 PM

983 posts, read 989,261 times
Just a little side story:

After the Nisqually earthquake of 2001, 6.8 magnitude I think, a lady got so freaked out she moved back to Texas.
Where the tornadoes are!

Old 12-23-2015, 01:17 PM

Heh. I think it's a matter of what you're used to. I would probably do the same.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
I've never heard any thunder (in the five years I've lived here) that compared to the storms I experienced in the Midwest. And when it does happen here, it's only a couple of booms -- long enough to get excited and say "Was that thunder? Are we actually going to have a thunderstorm?" and it's gone. No light show, no downpour. Just weird random thunder.
What part of the Midwest did you live at? I live in the Midwest myself.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:49 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,713,110 times
Is it still irrational fear if one has been nearly struck 2-3 times outdoors & had lightning enter their homes 2-3 times?

I will admit just loud noise at irregular intervals makes me unable to relax. If that is odd, maybe it's just my nervousness believed to be caused by a neurological disorder presumed to be multiple sclerosis?

Old 12-23-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
What part of the Midwest did you live at? I live in the Midwest myself.
Grew up in Iowa. Also spent a few years in central Indiana.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Is it still irrational fear if one has been nearly struck 2-3 times outdoors & had lightning enter their homes 2-3 times?
Hell no.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:33 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,171,051 times
I love thunderstorms - the more severe, the uglier the clouds, the more excited I get. But when I was about 7 a derecho came through with winds around 75 miles an hour. A large heavy poplar got uprooted and fell on a house a couple blocks away, and the thing went through the top story and a half, with branches coming through the living room ceiling. That house was literally clobbered. Our street had big (60+ foot) elms lining it, and of course our house sat on the east side of the street. I worried for years that the tree was gonna clobber our house one of these days. During big storms I headed for the basement. Eventually dutch elm disease took care of that worry.

I got over my fear of storms. Heck - 10 years later I invented chasing tornadoes. 1968 to be exact. Got dad's Chrysler Three Hundred pelted with ping pong ball sized hail while out on a chase. He wasn't amused. Called me a crazy sap. [I was "center punching" and you shouldn't do that - but I didn't know that yet]

Old 12-23-2015, 06:35 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,393,271 times
Once, as a kid, we had lightening hit our TV antenna (Yeah, the old kind on the roof) and actually saw a "ball of lightening shoot across the living room wall at the top of the ceiling...nothing burned, but there was an "entrance" spot in the corner where the wall and roof met up. It was so fast, no time even to get scared, and it chased along the top of the all where it met the ceiling like someone thru a ball of fire around the room in a flash of a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology