Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 05:16 PM

199 posts, read 294,626 times

Advertisements

The thread says it all
I hate competition
I hate having to compete for jobs with other people
I don't like big arguments

I don't care if i am ever the bread winner of the house or not

I don't care weather i win in baseball or lose in guitar hero if anything i play these games for fun.

Im just more the relaxed cooperating person who goes with the flow

Competition is always stressing and just sometimes tiring

Not that u can really escape it but why do some people thrive competition?

My point of view is that competition can be stress if you are always thriving for the best
Like for example
I would play a baseball game but have fun and wouldnt care much if i win or lose

My car is a toyota but it doesnt have to be better than my older sisters honda accord?

Do you strive on competing with other people?

I dont like competition in general
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 PM

215 posts, read 185,403 times
I like competition but I love when other people win / beat me and everyone is having fun

I like when there's no award for winning, just people out showing off and if I get beat then the other guy is damn good at what he's doing

Old 12-31-2015, 09:48 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post

Do you strive on competing with other people?.....
No, I don't. I avoid competition and think it is a major problem with modern society.

But that doesn't mean you can't be, or should not be successful. You CAN be successful and avoid competition all at the same time. The idea - I think - is to recognize that the only person you should be competing with is yourself. No one else.

I am a retired salesman who became a business owner and later, a truck driver. I was top salesman out of 2500 in a fortune 500 company, rose to become Director of Marketing & Sales before branching out on my own.
In a country where people who never attended any college refer to their favorite college team as "we", and competitiveness is touted as one of the most important qualities, it is a little difficult to walk the path of non-competitiveness, but I have found it very rewarding.

Want to see a competitive/non-competitive sport? Check out these two monsters as they urge each other on to greater and greater feats of strength!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv9v428_CcY

Old 12-31-2015, 11:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
OP, what's your problem? You are who you want to be.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:03 AM

658 posts, read 1,142,932 times
life is a competition.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,398,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
The thread says it all
I hate competition
I hate having to compete for jobs with other people
I don't like big arguments

I don't care if i am ever the bread winner of the house or not

I don't care weather i win in baseball or lose in guitar hero if anything i play these games for fun.

Im just more the relaxed cooperating person who goes with the flow

Competition is always stressing and just sometimes tiring

Not that u can really escape it but why do some people thrive competition?

My point of view is that competition can be stress if you are always thriving for the best
Like for example
I would play a baseball game but have fun and wouldnt care much if i win or lose

My car is a toyota but it doesnt have to be better than my older sisters honda accord?

Do you strive on competing with other people?

I dont like competition in general

I'm puzzled. Don't you have any confidence in your own abilities?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,442,340 times
You should watch the Twilight Zone, the episode "A Stop at Willoughby"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg2k...yqLgrarDPhnbPw

Old 01-04-2016, 11:13 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I'm puzzled. Don't you have any confidence in your own abilities?
+1. Healthy competition is fun.

Winning feels good. Losing feels bad. That’s life. You learn from your losses and become better.

Don’t check out of life. Challenge yourself and like Nonchalance says, have confidence in your abilities.

Best of luck.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:22 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,357 times
I hate it too. It's annoying how you have to compete to be successful..not only in jobs but if you are interested in someone you may have to compete to win their heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
No, I don't. I avoid competition and think it is a major problem with modern society.

But that doesn't mean you can't be, or should not be successful. You CAN be successful and avoid competition all at the same time. The idea - I think - is to recognize that the only person you should be competing with is yourself. No one else.
That works for some people. In an ideal world no one would be competing with anyone else if they didn't want to but that's not how society works. For instance it may be reasonable if you are the type that can own your own business but I could never do that.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:58 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
+1. Healthy competition is fun.

Winning feels good. Losing feels bad. That’s life. You learn from your losses and become better.

Don’t check out of life. Challenge yourself and like Nonchalance says, have confidence in your abilities.

Best of luck.
Competitiveness does not appeal to me either. The only reason people are affected by the idea of winning or losing it seems, is having been taught that it matters and having it equated with being "good or bad". I don't get a jolt either way.

I am not motivated by trying to "be better" than another, just doing what I may be good at or doing the best I can with something else. I never liked being inadvertently put into a position to compete with another, that one felt they needed to prove something, while I might just be doing something I could do well.

Many times I was told that I was chosen out of several applicants, for instance. Though it made me feel good, I didn't act as if I was superior.. jumping up and down saying "I won, I won, I won". It was just meant to be, not that there are always successes in life. I don't care for sports, either...who is running faster, jumping higher, throwing or catching a ball properly... My sister plays games on the Internet daily...she does not understand how I don't care to.. or how I prefer sharing, giving opinions and advice, instead.

Some people are competitive and some are not, that does not mean they are weak or passive or should be discounted. Here we go again... the idea that everyone should be one way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology