Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:27 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,975,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Thank you for the replies

I think you all are right. I must have hit a nerve. I honestly was not trying to. I kind of need to be on this person's good side.

Should I apologize to him? He seems mad at me now and has disappeared. Like he's giving me the silent treatment or he's upset or something. Maybe just give him space until he gets over it?

I also don't know if I wasn't really in the wrong, is an apology even warranted? Is it my fault if he's overly sensitive about something? I guess I'm not very good at dealing with people.

You said you kind of need to be on this person's good side.

You COULD apologize for maybe being too blunt.

Also, did you say he was presumptuous around other people who might've overheard you? You might've embarrassed him, if that was the case. And IF it's the case, you could also apologize for calling him out in front of other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 PM

1,348 posts, read 788,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's not worth rage, but it's not a compliment.

It usually means to assume something without fact, and it's often combined with arrogance.

Would you want someone to say that about you?
YES! If that person accurately comprehended what I put forth and truly felt that I was being presumptuous, I would absolutely want to know that. Then I'd probably pose 2 or 3 questions to zero-in on why they think that....to make sure I understand.

There are too many people that live in a self-created, psychological bubble that's all soft, comfy and ideal and they expect no one to inform them when they are out-of-line or incorrect. Plenty of rational people would call that way of living a form of insanity. It is important that we receive feedback from others in order to be balanced, healthy humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Thank you for the replies

I think you all are right. I must have hit a nerve. I honestly was not trying to. I kind of need to be on this person's good side.

Should I apologize to him? He seems mad at me now and has disappeared. Like he's giving me the silent treatment or he's upset or something. Maybe just give him space until he gets over it?

I also don't know if I wasn't really in the wrong, is an apology even warranted? Is it my fault if he's overly sensitive about something? I guess I'm not very good at dealing with people.
As long as you comprehended him correctly then you do not owe an apology for your opinion!

Here's the deal: that guy is both deeply immature and is trying to control the relationship with his nonsense behavior. The overblown reaction is an attempt to diminish you and your viewpoint. That is a person who is going to be a problem for you. Because there is much more of that treatment in your future if you remain engaged with him.

Having said that, it always makes sense to give a person a chance to explain further. Sometimes people realize they've over-reacted and are too embarrassed to address it (especially if they're immature to begin with). If you have that conversation with him it will reveal volumes about his character. If he handles it decently and you come to understand each other, he may have just been having a bad day. If he wigs-out again or tries to blame you for having an honest opinion then you'll find out exactly who you're dealing with. A jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology