Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 06:28 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Today my 1st world problem is:
Why is it that anyone who practices yoga has to talk so much about it? Shut the heck up.

I like the "idea" of yoga, but to me, it seems like bragging about doing it, and talking people's ears off about it kind of goes against the whole "thing." Can't you just do it, and love it, and not have to tell everyone about it?

At least if I just drink, I don't go yammering on and on to people about drinking.

Which is why drinking is superior to yoga. It doesn't involve the imperative to draft others. It's like the Jehovah's Witness of exercise.
Are you sure they weren't talking about yogurt? I could get behind a conversation about that. Talking about yoga just seems like a stretch to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Why is it that anyone who practices yoga has to talk so much about it? Shut the heck up.

I like the "idea" of yoga, but to me, it seems like bragging about doing it, and talking people's ears off about it kind of goes against the whole "thing." Can't you just do it, and love it, and not have to tell everyone about it?

At least if I just drink, I don't go yammering on and on to people about drinking.

Which is why drinking is superior to yoga. It doesn't involve the imperative to draft others. It's like the Jehovah's Witness of exercise.
I agree totally about the yoga yappers. They get on my last nerve. Look - I have a yoga mat. I actually occasionally get a wild hair and go to a yoga class. But that's like once a year. Then I get home, think, "Wow, that's expensive - I can just do yoga via internet TV," and I find a good channel, and then do it in my living room like, well, like one time. Then the yoga mat sits in the corner of my living room, taunting me, reminding me of my lack of discipline, till I finally get sick of looking at it and put it up for another 10 months or so.

Plus, I really hate downward facing dog and it seems like someone is ALWAYS TRYING TO MAKE ME DO THAT and going on and on about how relaxing it is, when the entire time all the blood is flowing to my head and the palms of my hands are killing me and I'm thinking, "Sheeze, I'd rather be doing warrior pose than this damn downward facing dog burro ****to!!!!"

Also, my mind wanders during yoga. When I'm supposed to be clearing my head and focusing on relaxing, I tend to start thinking about why my best friend is leasing instead of buying a car, and whether or not I have any wine left at the house or do I need to stop at the store on the way home, and whether or not I remembered to give the dogs their heartworm medicine on the first of the month and whether or not it will kill them if I give it to them twice...that sort of thing.

So yoga is great for me when it comes to making a grocery list or remembering to text my friend afterwards to see what color her new car is or wondering if my dogs have heartworms but I can't really say it's RELAXING.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:43 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
It's not exclusive to yoga practitioners. One of my co-workers started doing Crossfit and he seems unable to conduct a conversation that isn't ultimately steered to that program. I actually had to point this out to him but he still can't resist.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but don't want to hear about it for half an hour straight.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:16 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
It's not exclusive to yoga practitioners. One of my co-workers started doing Crossfit and he seems unable to conduct a conversation that isn't ultimately steered to that program. I actually had to point this out to him but he still can't resist.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but don't want to hear about it for half an hour straight.
Hey, I'm just blowing in here to tell you that I have a friend that has/had serious injuries from Crossfit. I'm not arguing the fact that no one should/should not do it, but this is really serious stuff. Sorry you are his sounding board. HAR! HAR! ( JK) I've seriously seen some pretty serious injuries from Crossfit.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 11-14-2016 at 08:25 PM..

Old 11-14-2016, 08:23 PM

I can't do Yoga. I've got a pretty messed up neck. I can do a treadmill although I did see a slick bicycle thing at Wal-mart, that folds into three different things, you can ride on, sit on, stand on ( I don't know) but I really want something more professional, but it would take up half of my living room. I'm a walker and a cycler, but only indoors. Sorry Tracy S, that you're having to endure Yoga. I don't think it's popular in this part of the country. Ive never run into anyone that does it.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
This area (northeast Texas) is a veritable hotbed of yoga practitioners and yappers. Speaking of hotbeds, we even have a "hot yoga" place close by, where strange people go of their own volition to do yoga in a room that is 87 degrees and humid. They go specifically to pose and sweat.

For the life of me, I don't get it. You can't even go to the grocery store afterwards to buy a bottle of wine because you look like you've been dropped in a dunking booth full of bodily fluids.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:

LOL This is so true! Look at me! Look at me! See how zen I am!!??? Notice the zen!!!! And my yoga pants!!! See how I'm being here now???!!!!

Maybe the problem is actually the energy drinks they're also all into...

But, you're so right. People in third world countries don't have to put up with this kind of nonsense.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL This is so true! Look at me! Look at me! See how zen I am!!??? Notice the zen!!!! And my yoga pants!!! See how I'm being here now???!!!!

Maybe the problem is actually the energy drinks they're also all into...

But, you're so right. People in third world countries don't have to put up with this kind of nonsense.
This is appropriate.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:31 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
[quote=thegreenflute334;46126052] I had to buzz the plumber in through the gate to come repair a leak. I could do it myself, but I'd rather read C-D and hire someone to do the work.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:33 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
This thread has turned serious and no-longer fun.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology