Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 05:30 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times

Advertisements

I just suddenly hiccuped (hiccoughed?) while holding a mouthful of water. I successfully avoided drowning, though. I must have my own internal self-contained underwater breathing apparatus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 11:46 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
^^ Good job! Ever sneezed while driving? Your eyes have to close or they'll pop out of your head. I try to hold it till traffic is clear.
Then when I think it'll be okay if my eyes are closed for a second it's ah-choo!

Old 09-08-2018, 04:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
What if you are a multiple sneezer. That’s me. I sneeze not once or twice, but often multiple times in a row. As I am about to launch into a second or third sneeze into my elbow, people around me are saying “bless you” and I’m still going.

Not a thing I can do about it, either.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
What if you are a multiple sneezer. That’s me. I sneeze not once or twice, but often multiple times in a row. As I am about to launch into a second or third sneeze into my elbow, people around me are saying “bless you” and I’m still going.

This is me - I am an eighter, and sometimes for some inexplicable reason, a thirteener. There is no single sneeze with me.

I end up waving my arms around trying to get well wishers to just shut up till I get done. No point in wasting perfectly good "Bless yous!" But it's quite stressful because usually they won't just SHUT UP and then they start interjecting other comments such as "Oh my," "Oh my goodness, are you alright?" "Oh goodness - God bless you - you poor thing - are you sick?" All the while I'm just waving my arms around, incapacitated and thinking, "Why on earth are they asking me questions when it should be very clear that I can't really talk at the moment?"

Then I get done and look up and anyone who was anywhere in the general vicinity is now standing around me looking at me in a very concerned manner. My gosh, are they going to call an ambulance? Do they expect my head to explode? What? Quit looking at me!

The truth is, other than the unwanted and alarmed (and alarming) attention, I actually sort of enjoy sneezing. I mean, I may as well enjoy it because I'm totally at the mercy of it. It feels sort of good though.

My husband has tried to train me on the fine art of sneezing. He says that the reason I sneeze so many times in a row is because I don't sneeze loudly or effectively - I have little sneezes but if I just sneezed louder and more aggressively, I'd cut down on the number of sneezes. He cannot seem to understand that I have absolutely no control over the "type" of sneezing that I do.

One time, I had a sneezing attack in the grocery store and I swear, I absolutely could not stop sneezing. It became incapacitating. Eventually I just had to leave the store. I went out to my car and continued to sneeze - by now I'd been sneezing for at least half an hour, and I didn't even have any groceries either because I had had to just leave my cart and walk out. I lived close by so I was able to drive home, but I continued to sneeze. After about three hours of sneezing, I began to wonder if I needed to go to the ER, because I was incredibly tired now and my eyes and nose were actually all swollen up. Eventually though, it just stopped and though I looked like I'd been on a crying jag, other than that I was fine.

That time it was way too much of a good thing.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:47 AM

658 posts, read 722,261 times
Quote:
I can't decide how to decorate my fireplace mantel. That's pretty first world, don't you think?
I don't even HAVE a fireplace mantel. In fact, I don't have a fireplace.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:28 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:

Hadn't thought of that. I'm a single sneezer. One shot. Like a musket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
...Why on earth are they asking me questions when it should be very clear that I can't really talk at the moment?"...
They do that same thing when eating or drinking and liquid went down the wrong way or something solid tried to. Reflexes stopped it, but nature sometimes gives us too much of a good thing (like a 3 hour sneezing jag ) so there we are coughing and hacking. "Are you alright?" Can't say yes, so while coughing have to go into overall attempt at nodding entire body, yes. Air flow clearly still going or would just be silence, throat clutching and turning blue. I hope I never have to fend off a well-intentioned but entirely unnecessary Heimlich maneuver!

Old 09-09-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^^ Good job! Ever sneezed while driving? Your eyes have to close or they'll pop out of your head. I try to hold it till traffic is clear.
Then when I think it'll be okay if my eyes are closed for a second it's ah-choo!
Lol, yeah, that's always fun.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:

That's my mom.

Quote:
One time, I had a sneezing attack in the grocery store and I swear, I absolutely could not stop sneezing. It became incapacitating. Eventually I just had to leave the store. I went out to my car and continued to sneeze - by now I'd been sneezing for at least half an hour, and I didn't even have any groceries either because I had had to just leave my cart and walk out. I lived close by so I was able to drive home, but I continued to sneeze. After about three hours of sneezing, I began to wonder if I needed to go to the ER, because I was incredibly tired now and my eyes and nose were actually all swollen up. Eventually though, it just stopped and though I looked like I'd been on a crying jag, other than that I was fine.
I remember this story, Kathryn. That's scary.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That's my mom.

I remember this story, Kathryn. That's scary.
It was bizarre but apparently it too was a first world problem.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
This is me - I am an eighter, and sometimes for some inexplicable reason, a thirteener. There is no single sneeze with me.

I end up waving my arms around trying to get well wishers to just shut up till I get done. No point in wasting perfectly good "Bless yous!" But it's quite stressful because usually they won't just SHUT UP and then they start interjecting other comments such as "Oh my," "Oh my goodness, are you alright?" "Oh goodness - God bless you - you poor thing - are you sick?" All the while I'm just waving my arms around, incapacitated and thinking, "Why on earth are they asking me questions when it should be very clear that I can't really talk at the moment?"

Then I get done and look up and anyone who was anywhere in the general vicinity is now standing around me looking at me in a very concerned manner. My gosh, are they going to call an ambulance? Do they expect my head to explode? What? Quit looking at me!

The truth is, other than the unwanted and alarmed (and alarming) attention, I actually sort of enjoy sneezing. I mean, I may as well enjoy it because I'm totally at the mercy of it. It feels sort of good though.

My husband has tried to train me on the fine art of sneezing. He says that the reason I sneeze so many times in a row is because I don't sneeze loudly or effectively - I have little sneezes but if I just sneezed louder and more aggressively, I'd cut down on the number of sneezes. He cannot seem to understand that I have absolutely no control over the "type" of sneezing that I do.

That time it was way too much of a good thing.
For most of my life my sneezes were fairly quiet. As I have gotten older, they have become louder. I know what you mean about concerned onlookers. I am usually nodding between the sneezes and trying to indicate that I am OK. I don’t know what people think is happening, but it is just several sneezes in a row, and certainly nothing that out of the ordinary.

And how about when you can feel the sneeze building for a good minute or two and you are making stupid faces while the irrestible urge to sneeze keeps ramping up.

This is a first world problem, for sure, when sneezing signifies nothing much, but bystanders feel worried because you can’t seem to stop after one sneeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology