Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 08:12 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Went to out today for a quick bite that took 30 minutes. Turns out the manager had left (quit?) and the staff, teenage girls to early 20s at most were doing the best they could. Almost every order wrong. One customer had to get her money back and leave because she'd been waiting so long she couldn't stay any longer. I give the staff props for carrying on. But i had to wait 30 minutes for my food! My order was wrong, but not a deal breaker. I took it and got out of Dodge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 06:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I had a tooth pulled out- half was removed the day before Christmas, the other half shortly after Christmas and I thought that was the end of it... but part of it was embedded in my swollen gums. So I had to go back a THIRD time and the dentist yanked it out. It took about 3 minutes, total. But it hurt worse than the initial pulling because he didn't numb it or anything. (I was a little taken aback because he's usually so concerned about not causing any pain. He must have been having a bad day.)

I left the dentist office and ran into Family Dollar to grab a few things. I smiled and chatted with the checkout person, as usual. I noticed she was slightly less friendly than normal. Then I got out to my car and looked in the mirror. I had blood on my chin, my right cheek and smeared all across my teeth.
We DON'T TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!

PS. I realize the visual this post paints of me... toothless, bleeding from the face while shopping at Family Dollar.
OK this is funny, but also sad. So I will share a true story with you to make you feel better.

Unfortunately this didn't happen to me, but it did happen to a close friend of mine who shared this story with me so I figure it's true.

She is a very, very attractive woman, and also very stylish. But she was super sick with a bad cold - absolutely miserable - and she just had to go to the grocery store eventually, so she waited till late one night so she might not see many people. She brought her little dog with her to the grocery store but left him in the car. Before she got out, when she was still parked in the dark parking lot, she pulled a tissue out of her purse and blew her nose again, and wiped her face, sort of trying to clean up.

She then went into the store, and grabbed a few items - and she noticed that people were studiously avoiding eye contact with her. Then she got to the checkout line and she couldn't help but notice that the cashier seemed VERY uncomfortable, and unfriendly, and also wouldn't look at her.

She grabbed her little bag of stuff and walked out to her car, and when she opened the car door, her little dog started whining and literally backed into the farthest corner of the car he could squeeze into.

My friend thought "What the heck," and she pulled down the mirror to look at herself - and realized that she had apparently smeared red lipstick all over her face. That's right - when she pulled that tissue out of her purse and blew her nose and wiped her face, apparently there was melted lipstick all over it so she smeared red lipstick everywhere.

She said "I looked like my nose and lips were bleeding profusely."

Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
My first-world beef for today pertains to people who leave an important phone message on the answering machine, and then mumble their phone no.

Hey people, not everyone has caller ID.
What's worse is when they race through their phone number like someone or something is chasing them. Slow down people.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:39 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I'm so used to ordering something online and receiving it within 2 days. That's really the standard now.

But on Jan 6th, I ordered 2 things from ebay sellers. One took 8 days to get to me (in PA) from Florida. The other is coming from Colorado and still isn't here yet (it's now Jan 17th).
I watch the USPS tracking daily. After going to 3 different places, still within Colorado, it landed in Jersey City NJ (overshot I guess), and today it's in Philly. I'm estimating it'll be at least 3 more days. The first package bounced to two places within Florida before flying to Philly.

Can we just get rid of, or privatize, the damned USPS already!

Sure, both items had "free shipping" but 8-12 days???? I think the pony express was faster.

Lately I order things on Amazon and they are on my front step the NEXT day.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
What's worse is when they race through their phone number like someone or something is chasing them. Slow down people.
To me, what's worst of all is when people just say "This is So and So. Call me." My message clearly states "Leave your name and number AND THE REASON YOU CALLED." I feel like I'm being manipulated - by someone who refuses to play well with others. Want me NOT to call? Leave me a message like that.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:01 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I get annoyed when almost anyone leaves a voicemail. Unless it's business. I mean, if we both have cell phones, and it's a personal contact, I so much prefer they hang up and text me instead. I don't want to have to dial into my voicemail and check messages and I can't get rid of the damn notification on my phone until I do and having notification clutter irritates me.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:10 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK this is funny, but also sad. So I will share a true story with you to make you feel better.

Unfortunately this didn't happen to me, but it did happen to a close friend of mine who shared this story with me so I figure it's true.

She is a very, very attractive woman, and also very stylish. But she was super sick with a bad cold - absolutely miserable - and she just had to go to the grocery store eventually, so she waited till late one night so she might not see many people. She brought her little dog with her to the grocery store but left him in the car. Before she got out, when she was still parked in the dark parking lot, she pulled a tissue out of her purse and blew her nose again, and wiped her face, sort of trying to clean up.

She then went into the store, and grabbed a few items - and she noticed that people were studiously avoiding eye contact with her. Then she got to the checkout line and she couldn't help but notice that the cashier seemed VERY uncomfortable, and unfriendly, and also wouldn't look at her.

She grabbed her little bag of stuff and walked out to her car, and when she opened the car door, her little dog started whining and literally backed into the farthest corner of the car he could squeeze into.

My friend thought "What the heck," and she pulled down the mirror to look at herself - and realized that she had apparently smeared red lipstick all over her face. That's right - when she pulled that tissue out of her purse and blew her nose and wiped her face, apparently there was melted lipstick all over it so she smeared red lipstick everywhere.

She said "I looked like my nose and lips were bleeding profusely."
I found the blood to be helpful. People moved out of my way easily and quickly and I got out of the store in record time. Perhaps this is the answer?! But I could implement your friend's technique with the lipstick because I certainly don't want to keep having teeth pulled. I'll run out eventually!

Old 01-19-2019, 04:34 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
When I woke up this morning and looked at the alarm clock it said it was 6:55 a.m. I was happy as I keep waking up way too early lately and then I'm unable to go back to sleep. So I stumble out of bed to go pee and let the dog out. When I get to the living room I see my wall clock says 5:56 so I'm thinking the battery is dead but nope the clock in my bedroom moves itself up an hour every once in awhile; don't know why but it was actually 5:55 a.m. when I got up so my happiness at sleeping till almost 7 was short lived. :-(

Old 01-19-2019, 05:03 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I am getting around slooow, because of a clumpy shoe i have to wear after bunion surgery. I received 2 pair of pants from Lands End yesterday, but in order to try them on, I’ll need to clomp to the bedroom, remove the shoe, tease the pants on over the foot, repeat, put on the shoe again and clomp back to my chair, remove the shoe and put my foot up. Life is HARD.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:29 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am getting around slooow, because of a clumpy shoe i have to wear after bunion surgery. I received 2 pair of pants from Lands End yesterday, but in order to try them on, I’ll need to clomp to the bedroom, remove the shoe, tease the pants on over the foot, repeat, put on the shoe again and clomp back to my chair, remove the shoe and put my foot up. Life is HARD.
Recuperate well. Enjoy your new pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology