Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 06:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My HAIR takes all day to dry naturally in our humidity. You know the thing where you do a bunch of twists and sleep on your hair and wake up with beautiful curls?

Me either because my hair never dries.
Oh my gosh, I totally get this.

My youngest son and I were exchanging photos of our hair in text messages the other day because our hairs were so cray cray with the humidity. I told him, "Just wait till yours starts doing the folding thing. Let it grow just a little longer and see if it does it."

Those beautiful spiraling curls? Never had 'em. Crazy coarse thick wavy "folding" hair is what I got. The humidity makes it do some sort of bizarre unicorn looking wave right at the front too. WHAT THE HECK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 07:21 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Watching a presidential primary debate with a bunch of hopefuls who don't have a snowball's chance. Don't recognize most of them. Who are these people?

Old 06-26-2019, 09:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK after experiencing this (and savoring the experience so I could really, really speak with authority on this), I have reached a huge conclusion.

I think that weather stations lie to us about the whole "feels like" (fill in the blank) thing. For instance, today my local weather source says "High of 95, will feel like 110." Then for Midland, TX, with significantly lower humidity, it said, "95, feels like 92."

OK I've got news for all the weather folks out there. WHEN IT IS 95 DEGREES IT IS FREAKING HOT, I DON'T CARE WHERE YOU ARE. It feels every bit of 95 degrees. Now - can humidity make it feel even hotter in some ways? Yes, BUT do not believe the "95, feels like 92." Nope. It feels like Satan's backside out there when it's 95, any way you slice it.
THANK YOU. If you live in that area, it feels like what it is. For those who live in Midland/Odessa, where it's incredibly dry, 95 feels like 95 to them. For those who live in Houston where it's very wet, 95 feels like 95 to them, because they know what 95 feels like, and it doesn't feel like more than that. Everyone calibrates to where they live, and all the weather station has to say is, it's 95. Those people who live there get it.

Just tell us what the temperature is, we know how it will feel.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:28 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
The problem with high heat and high humidity is that the ac can’t make you comfortable. With high humidity the ac works harder and cools colder, but, IME, you can’t get really comfortable.

Before I retired I worked in a place which had an ac system that worked hard in August to keep us freezing cold and clammy inside. Going out after work to get in my car was hellish. The steering wheel burned my hands, and I had to endure another struggling ac system in my car. In that case it could not keep me anywhere near cool.

In the here and now, I am sitting in a cool, clammy room with fireplace going. We are having naturally cool and clammy weather in my corner of the PNW.

We always search for comfort, no?

Old 06-27-2019, 10:39 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Right now it is so hot and humid that when I open the door to go outside, it feels like I just opened the dishwasher after it is finished washing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2019, 04:53 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Then wash your dishes yourself.

(Yes, I know my post doesn't make sense, another first world problem.)

Old 06-27-2019, 04:58 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Mixed feelings. I (had to/got to) go to the dentist today. Wouldn't want to live without them.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:09 PM

Went to Atwoods. Spent nearly $60 on nothing but food for various animals - birds, dogs, squirrels. And we didn't even buy dog food. These damn animals! They are so spoiled! We must have the most spoiled animals on our block, including the wild ones.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
We were supposed to get a Fresh Market near my house but that fell through and now we are getting an Aldi's instead. I've been to an Aldi's a couple of times and wasn't impressed. I was really hoping for a Fresh Market. They have ground in the store almond butter which I like.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
We were supposed to get a Fresh Market near my house but that fell through and now we are getting an Aldi's instead. I've been to an Aldi's a couple of times and wasn't impressed. I was really hoping for a Fresh Market. They have ground in the store almond butter which I like.
Ugh, this would tick me off too. I HATE Aldi's!

OK get this. About a year and a half ago, I bought a phone. Yes, it cost me nearly $1000, which is ridiculous in and of itself. But I compounded that issue today, when I dropped that phone in the toilet at Canton Trade Days. (Thankfully, the toilet was already flushed.)

It worked for about five more minutes, and then one thing after another started going wrong with it and then it turned itself back on and I couldn't even turn it off and it started saying bizarre things like "WARRANTY VOID" and other stuff. So apparently I get to go buy a new phone tomorrow.

I don't even want a new phone. I had this one all set up exactly as I like it. Now I have to remember passwords to apps and all that good stuff! OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I am so ticked off. This will take me hundreds of dollars and hours to get straight.

And I didn't even want to be at Canton Trade Days, where it was about 100 degrees and I was sweating like a pig, whatever that means (not even sure that pigs sweat, but if they do, I was sure sweating like one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology