Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 07:33 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I find it is much easier to toss dirty clothes in the trash bin and buy new outfits every few days.
You make a strong point with this one.

Speaking of shopping, I had to activate a new credit card yesterday. Get this - I had to start all over with the call because they made me type in THE WHOLE number and I made ONE ITTY BITTY MISTAKE. Gosh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 11:02 AM

741 posts, read 1,282,405 times
Sitting here paying money for a program to make me eat less of the huge amount of food around me.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:04 PM

2,204 posts, read 2,295,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
Tonight I made apple crisp. I wanted it to be both with and without cinnamon. I could not decide, so I made it with a little cinnamon. Well, it does not satisfy either of my desires. Afterwards, I realized I could have put cinnamon on half and none on the other half. Duh. Now I am stuck in my warm, secure home with apple crisp without the desired amount of cinnamon.
I'm obsessed about aging gracefully, so I have this hang-up about avoiding the sun, or at least trying to avoid it as much as possible.

Unfortunately, I am required to be outside a few hours every day (I operate a side business as a pet-sitter/dog-walker). Now, most people would simply slap on some sunscreen and a hat and be done with it. But, in addition to my wanting to age gracefully, I also care about the health of my skin, and most of the commercial sunscreens are very toxic; they are full of chemicals that absorb through the skin into the bloodstream, and that can't be good. Furthermore, most of the natural sunscreens, the mineral-based sunscreens, do not rub into the skin well and leave a white, pasty coating on the skin. So, when wearing these products, I walk around with a pasty looking face, which is ok if you are at the beach, but not ok if you are walking around town or simply going about your daily business. So, my first world problem involves hassling with sun protection and trying to find a workable solution whereby I can protect myself from the sun while not harming my skin and body with nasty chemicals or leaving my skin pasty white…

A large-brim hat and sunglasses work well, and they can block out most of the direct UV rays, but not all of them. This is a minor problem in relation to all the other problems in life, but it's still something that bugs me. It gets to the point that I don't want to be outside during the day AT ALL. I guess I have a bit of vanity about me, in that I care about how I look and do not want to turn into a wrinkled up prune before my time. I am 41, and most people tell me that I look much younger than that, which is a nice compliment. I see many examples of people who spend large amounts of time outdoors unprotected, and more often than not (especially if it's a fair-skinned Caucasian), these people look haggard and worn out; they might be 30 or 35 and have deep crows feet and forehead wrinkles and sun spots all over. No offense to anyone, but I simply do not want to look like that. We all have to get old, but I wish to do it as gracefully as possible.

I even added extra window tinting to my vehicle windows to cut down on my exposure while driving! LOL…

Honestly, much of my concern probably centers around the fact that I am not yet married, so obviously, I wish to keep myself looking somewhat good for as long as possible. But even if I don't get married, I still want to look as good as I can.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:02 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,937,914 times
Trivial First world problems? Here's a whole thread about one...

Note to snowbirds: Stay OFF the freeways during rush hour!

Old 01-27-2016, 08:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,694,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I'm obsessed about aging gracefully, so I have this hang-up about avoiding the sun, or at least trying to avoid it as much as possible.

Unfortunately, I am required to be outside a few hours every day (I operate a side business as a pet-sitter/dog-walker). Now, most people would simply slap on some sunscreen and a hat and be done with it. But, in addition to my wanting to age gracefully, I also care about the health of my skin, and most of the commercial sunscreens are very toxic; they are full of chemicals that absorb through the skin into the bloodstream, and that can't be good. Furthermore, most of the natural sunscreens, the mineral-based sunscreens, do not rub into the skin well and leave a white, pasty coating on the skin. So, when wearing these products, I walk around with a pasty looking face, which is ok if you are at the beach, but not ok if you are walking around town or simply going about your daily business. So, my first world problem involves hassling with sun protection and trying to find a workable solution whereby I can protect myself from the sun while not harming my skin and body with nasty chemicals or leaving my skin pasty white…

A large-brim hat and sunglasses work well, and they can block out most of the direct UV rays, but not all of them. This is a minor problem in relation to all the other problems in life, but it's still something that bugs me. It gets to the point that I don't want to be outside during the day AT ALL. I guess I have a bit of vanity about me, in that I care about how I look and do not want to turn into a wrinkled up prune before my time. I am 41, and most people tell me that I look much younger than that, which is a nice compliment. I see many examples of people who spend large amounts of time outdoors unprotected, and more often than not (especially if it's a fair-skinned Caucasian), these people look haggard and worn out; they might be 30 or 35 and have deep crows feet and forehead wrinkles and sun spots all over. No offense to anyone, but I simply do not want to look like that. We all have to get old, but I wish to do it as gracefully as possible.

I even added extra window tinting to my vehicle windows to cut down on my exposure while driving! LOL…

Honestly, much of my concern probably centers around the fact that I am not yet married, so obviously, I wish to keep myself looking somewhat good for as long as possible. But even if I don't get married, I still want to look as good as I can.
I have Supergoop's mostly mineral sunscreen. No white cast on me! I am a dark skinned black women. There is one more kids sunscreen I tried. I don't recall the name but it is made in California and the packing has drawings of an interracial bunch of kids and is brightly colored: orange packaging I think.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,694,357 times
The bus home tonight was standing room only and I had to keep my purse in my lap for the 30 minute ride, instead of placing it on the seat next to me!

Old 01-27-2016, 08:43 PM

87,993 posts, read 83,805,998 times
I find those Charmin toilet paper commercials with the bears repulsive.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:49 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,915,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I find those Charmin toilet paper commercials with the bears repulsive.
I find their new "Go Commando" commercials even worse.

They start off by talking about how the ripples allow you to pick up more... "layers". Layers?! Like the person hasn't wiped themselves or showered in months, so they are now wiping up layers of their body fluid? Then at the end they come out of the bathroom with their dirty used underwear in a bag, why?

And just the whole nastiness that people apparently don't know how to properly wipe themselves, and their underwear is only there to keep body fluids from getting onto their clothes. Its just gross.

Why can't we go back to the days where Charmin was about being squeezable soft? Why do I have to hear about other people's wiping issues while trying to enjoy a nice evening at home?

Old 01-28-2016, 01:01 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,915,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
However, I have been trying to place this order by telepathy, to no avail. I may actually have to get up, go get my purse, and dig out my credit card. This sure does seem like a lot of work, but maybe it's worth it in the long run.
That is why I buy almost everything online from Amazon. They have my information, so need to walk across the room to get my purse. If I buy somewhere that doesn't already have my information, it can take days before I'm at my computer with my credit card.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:47 AM

44,886 posts, read 59,869,542 times
I woke up at 4 and couldn't get back to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology