Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2019, 11:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Perhaps you should look into buying the land, anyway. It would keep your options open.

We may buy it. The thing is, we can't just buy one acre (directly behind our house). That would leave other land landlocked - but that other land is behind other peoples' homes and would also serve no purpose to us. It's not all that cheap either, and we're not poor but we're not crazy wealthy either. It would not be even CLOSE to being anything liquid and as it stands now it would be difficult to sell. So it would leave some options open but really close others off. We're going to wait and see if our other neighbors are interested in buying the land behind their property. If so, we will nearly certainly buy this land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 05:17 AM

See what I mean? Totally a first world problem! I sound like a jerk even talking about it! LOL

Old 12-06-2019, 01:19 PM

OK so this happened to me the other day:

First of all, my garage door went haywire (won't bore you with the details) and it cost me $235 to get it fixed - this happened on my way to lunch which is why I mention it since what happened at lunch happened on the heels of this fun.

So my friend and I get to the restaurant parking lot, which is not really big enough during lunch time, and we think we see a spot, near the front in fact - but no, a POS car is parked over the line in two parking spaces. Grrr. Well, I drive around and find a parking space way the heck away from the restaurant, but then I see this old lady get into the POS car that's taking up two parking spaces near the front, and I even see her PUT ON HER SEATBELT so I figure, hey, she's leaving - yay!

So I drive back over there and sit and wait for her. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. Then I realize she hasn't even started her car (though she's sitting there with her seatbelt on) and now she's reading something.

By then of course, someone else had gotten the other parking space. So I drove around and around again, and finally found a far off parking space - and then when my friend and I were FINALLY walking into the restaurant, we realized that at some point during all this, a spot directly in front of the door had become vacant. Oh well.

And when we went into the restaurant, the old lady was still sitting in her POS car parked in two spaces, still wearing her seatbelt, and still reading something - totally oblivious. And some other fool was sitting there waiting for her to leave.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:45 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times
The package gods hate me.
I think my package was in a UPS truck that was hijacked days ago. How else can you explain that it was in the same city, then nothing, then something about a delay because of current operating conditions (weather was fine at the time)? But 3 different trucks were hijacked which could be a reason for the delay.

4 days in a row, my FedEx package said "out for delivery" and then for whatever reason it was sent back to the local facility. This makes me almost want to laugh. It was sent "2 Day Delivery" but I don't think they know what it means.

And finally, an item was sent on December 3, with estimated delivery of 12/5, then it said "updated delivery 12/6". 12/6 came and went, then it said, "your package is running late" blah blah blah, there was no movement so I figured they lost it. On 12/7, I saw some movement, yay. Now it says, "if you don't receive it by 12/12, call us and we'll issue a refund." I don't want a refund, I want my damn item.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
We have a super duper Lexus loaner while our 10 year old Lexus is being serviced. We drove to a destination today and could not get the remote to lock the car. We drove home, and hopped into our 20 year old Honda and left to do errands in that.

I think we are cave people sometimes.

Friends told me that the newer cars lock automatically as you walk away.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:12 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I bit the bullet and bought an Apple TV. Now I have yet another gadget to learn how to use...
Ask a five year old to help you. My grandkids are very patient with me and their TVs.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:23 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I hate my electric glass stovetop.

But I digress.

Thankfully my husband is off his pool kick. So we don't have to buy the lot behind us and move our septic system. Good grief!

Someone more talented than me once sang "you can't always get what you want," and I agree with that sentiment. Plus I don't really want to deal with the hassle of pool maintenance.

I'm thinking nice water feature in the back yard. Pergola. Hot tub. All that jazz. I mean, a pool would be nice but we already have one luxury item that rarely gets used (a boat). Come on. How many superfluous luxury items that are rarely used does one household need?
I hated my electric glass stovetop too, with a passion. Now I have an induction one I love it with a passion.

Well, we have a pool that only gets used when the grandkids come to stay, a boat that gets used literally once a year even though we live on the waterfront, an exercise bike that just sits there. Then there is my kayak that is covered with weeds....

My problem though is that I cannot decide whether to get rid of the carpet and have timber flooring which is much more fashionable. Or new carpet, which we prefer. I keep mentally going round and round in circles.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:32 AM

430 posts, read 283,256 times
My friends and relatives one-up me on Facebook. More happy children and grandchildren, catch bigger fish, go to more remote vacations, eat more exotic meals (with pictures of the food, of course), find prettier sunsets, Oh woe is me!

Old 12-10-2019, 08:41 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Seriously first world problems. I'm planning my wedding. I've never planned a legit wedding event before, it's looking like it's going to be great, but all the logistics (let alone the costs) are making my head spin. Thank god for spreadsheets. I don't know how I'd survive without them in my life.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:45 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Someone more talented than me once sang "you can't always get what you want..."
Clearly, that man never met my wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology