Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 09:57 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Because they've only ever heard it pronounced, Hippa. They know is is an acronym, so they probably capitalize it. But they hear hippa, so they type HIPPA.
Healthcare workers see it written all the time, though, so they should know the correct usage. Laypeople get a pass, I suppose. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 01:49 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Because they've only ever heard it pronounced, Hippa. They know is is an acronym, so they probably capitalize it. But they hear hippa, so they type HIPPA.
Yes, because it's simply impossible that they actually READ once in a while and actually see the acronym spelled correctly, or the whole term spelled out.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:51 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Healthcare workers see it written all the time, though, so they should know the correct usage. Laypeople get a pass, I suppose. Maybe.
However, if these laypeople are going to post online repeatedly about how gossiping about a neighbor's medical condition is "violating HIPPA laws" they should at least first learn something about what they're talking about.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:47 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
However, if these laypeople are going to post online repeatedly about how gossiping about a neighbor's medical condition is "violating HIPPA laws" they should at least first learn something about what they're talking about.
Agreed!

Old 06-13-2016, 06:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yes, because it's simply impossible that they actually READ once in a while and actually see the acronym spelled correctly, or the whole term spelled out.
I am guilty of not reading stuff right. So I assume others do same.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
My daughter brought home a tres leches cake tonight and we wanted to eat it right after dinner but it was frozen solid. So we had to choose - do we want to eat frozen cake right away, or wait?

We ate it frozen.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
So I got an Amazon Tap as a reward at work. It is the Echo' portable cousin. It has a speaker, and much of the Exho functionality. Except that it is not always listening. You have to hit the button to talk to it.

Here is the problem. I have a Sonos Play. I can control it from my phone or iPad or computer. But it isn't portable. It is statically located in my apartment. I also have a mini jam is. It is portable, but I have to control it from my phone. Not combine it. If I move it to the bathroom for my shower and I want to change to playlist.

Now the Tap is not like the Echo, so I have to hit to button to change tell it to change the playlist or skip to the next song. And the phone app doesn't let you launch any controls. So if I put it on my desk or anywhere else in my apartment, I have to walk over and tell it to do something.

So maybe I can put it in the bathroom, but I'd have to decide the music before I get in the shower, because I won't be able to hit the button and talk to it. And my bathroom is dysfunctional and only has one inconvenient plug. So I'll have to leave the charger on my desk,and walk it back and forth. And the Sonos already provides sound for,that section.

So I have no idea what I will do,with this Tap. Keep,it in the bathroom and live with the limitations. Put it in the kitchen and find recipe plugins and let it read me my kindle books? Decisions decisions.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I ordered some essential oils - my husband calls them voodoo, but that's beside the point. Personally, I think they work for a lot of things.

The frankincense was expensive, and I didn't like the way it smelled anyway, but it's good to mix with some other oils for various potions, so I was mixing up my mojo in the bathroom and I knocked over the frankincense, which spilled down the sink immediately.

When I tried to catch it, it got all over my hands - so now they sort of stink. And my bathroom REEKS of frankincense.

But I have none in the bottle - it's just permeated everything else. Plus I literally poured money down the drain, which wasn't very gratifying, so I hope I don't do that again.

Now - do I reorder it? I wonder, does one HAVE to have frankincense to mix with other oils? I mean, will I live a quality life without it? I was living a quality life before I bought it, but now I think that things could be better with it in my life and in my oil blends.

And yet, it sort of stinks.

Decisions, decisions.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:44 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I ordered some essential oils - my husband calls them voodoo, but that's beside the point. Personally, I think they work for a lot of things.

The frankincense was expensive, and I didn't like the way it smelled anyway, but it's good to mix with some other oils for various potions, so I was mixing up my mojo in the bathroom and I knocked over the frankincense, which spilled down the sink immediately.

When I tried to catch it, it got all over my hands - so now they sort of stink. And my bathroom REEKS of frankincense.

But I have none in the bottle - it's just permeated everything else. Plus I literally poured money down the drain, which wasn't very gratifying, so I hope I don't do that again.

Now - do I reorder it? I wonder, does one HAVE to have frankincense to mix with other oils? I mean, will I live a quality life without it? I was living a quality life before I bought it, but now I think that things could be better with it in my life and in my oil blends.

And yet, it sort of stinks.

Decisions, decisions.
Have you considered Myrrh and gold leaf in addition to more frankincense to increase your quality of life? All I know is that after that trip to the dollar store, it won't help my quality a bit. BTW ... doesn't that frankincense cut down on the amount of air freshener needed after certain bathroom visits?

El Nox

Old 06-17-2016, 04:23 AM

521 posts, read 292,396 times
connect your charger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology