Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:53 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
... Need some help understanding this; I've never heard of a condition called 'terrified of the opposite sex' ...
Same here. How many people does the OP think have this condition that it deserves a topic for discussion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 07:48 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
"terrified of the opposite sex"..no, I don't think there is such an affliction, now bored with the attitude of the opposite sex, that is real.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:21 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I suspect very few are truly terrified...
and instead are either too lazy to put in an effort, or too apethetic to do much more than "Smoke weed and/or play video games", as timberline stated.
Frankly, more often than not, it isn't worth it, especially in the face of those women who do nothing but judge us and criticize us endlessly, only to drop us anyway.

The benefits of female companionship have fallen of dramatically, relative to the risks of divorce, nasty fights, etc. In dating as in economics, when something rewards less and pays off less, you get less of it.

Last edited by NickB1967; 01-29-2016 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-29-2016, 08:23 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So there is some compartment in which females are regarded as people (work) and other compartments in which females are regarded as not people but fleshy things to acquire (not work)?

Essentially, yes. You DON'T get too personal at work.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:27 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Do they not go to work? Are there no members of the opposite sex where they work? So they not go to social events? I am trying to imagine a world where this happens. I go to work every day with men who somehow DON'T freak out that I am female. Speaking to me is not a problem. They open their mouths. Their thoughts come out. What is the problem?
I am retired on pension now, though my career field was / is one where it is all male. Only in the past 3 years have they began trying to introduce females into the work environment.

I am a career submariner. I served as a crew member on various US subs, usually underwater for 7 months of each year.

Sub crews have a fairly high divorce rate. I was able to lock into a long-term marriage. Through the 70s, 80s, and 90s; I served with many hundreds of other crew members, among them I have only known 4 others who have had successful long-term marriages.

The sub community tends to have a lot of female-haters.

I do not think that any of us are really 'terrified' of females, rather they hate the effect females have on themselves. How stupid they get when they are exposed to females, and how much it costs when the female files for divorce.

Living in an environment where there are no female pheromones our hormones do not get triggered the way that they would be triggered if we were exposed to female pheromones on a daily basis.

As one of my many duties; I served as budget counselor. I have helped many crewmen after their ex-wife had filed for divorce 'in-absentia'. We surface and among our first mail-bags will normally be past-due bills, bank notices of maxxed credit cards, legal notices from courts telling the crew member that he is now divorced and how much he owes in alimony, and then notices of how far behind he is in making his alimony payments. I have helped guys through this process dozens of times.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:31 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think they feel safe in their work environment because they are doing something they are good at. So people don't perceive them as very different.

It is outside of work where they often hide from the opposite sex.
When you get off from work and leave the base, it is common to want to 'go out' or to party. In our culture that generally means going to a bar. So it is at a bar where your first exposure to females will happen.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:03 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I suspect very few are truly terrified...
and instead are either too lazy to put in an effort, or too apethetic to do much more than "Smoke weed and/or play video games", as timberline stated.
Put in an effort to do what? For someone who has anxiety talking about work related issues is easy. Talking about your personal life is hard.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:06 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think they feel safe in their work environment because they are doing something they are good at. So people don't perceive them as very different.

It is outside of work where they often hide from the opposite sex.
Exactly, OP you Tim and Pitt need to take a break from the relationship forum.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:54 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've never met anyone who was terrified of the opposite sex. Is this a real thing or just one of these crazy questions someone randomly comes up with?
Yes, I think the intent was just to mock the posters in the Relationships forum who struggle with dating and communicating with the opposite sex. Now that the thread has been moved to this forum, people are trying to take it seriously and I don't believe it was meant to be taken that seriously.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:28 PM

283 posts, read 327,608 times
I have a condition much like the one OP is alluding to

I'm a 21 year old male and am afraid of women

Here's how I do things

- I never frequent establishments where I know women will be present (cafes, malls, movie theatres, etc)

- Never go to clubs or parties

- Never commute to college during prime hours. Only in the evening, early morning or weekends

- One of the reasons I take online classes is to avoid women

- I never make eye contact with them, stick to looking at the ground

- I avoid them whenever possible. When I see a girl or a group of girls, I get out of dodge to the best of my ability

- I never apply for job positions where I know I'll be interacting with lots of women. If I do have to work with women, I avoid them and only speak to them briefly when I have to

- I wear hoodies so women can't see my face

I was made fun of and mocked by women relentlessly growing up. I am ugly, ethnic, short and scrawny. I have no self confidence as a young adult and I'm very socially awkward. This is where the fear of women comes from

For a full time career, I plan on working with computers so not a lot of physical interaction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology