Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:39 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,432,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I've been to the Netherlands several times and also my personal experience with every Dutch person I've ever known is that they are extremely sexual. High sex drives and also a sort of an instinct for the erotic.

Any ideas why this is the case?

The Scandinavians have a reputation for being very sexual as well. As do the French and Italians, I guess. But from my own personal experience, nobody quite holds up to the Dutch. Possibly in the entire world. Its not surprising prostitution is legal in the Netherlands, in that case.

I'm curious why this would be. I've also noticed Dutch women tend to be very attractive and Dutch men I've heard are well endowed. Is this just some unique genetic niche?

Anybody else notice this or have any theories about this?
"they" say: "those who talk about it all the time are the least ones getting it".

I AM assuming you "sampled" multiple examples of this over-zealous sexual-ness you describe? Or was it all TALK you heard? BIG difference.

America is one of the BIGGESt hang-up and sexually repressed societies I know. DOn't forget the PURITANS were among those who settled and proliferated the original colony{ies}.

I remember a woman I knew who took a "survey" in a magazine titled something like "is your mate suited to you" or something like that. SHe read aloud one question: "DO you like the way your mate looks naked"? SHe said 'how would I know?'...I looked incredulously at her and said "7 {yes seven} kids and you don't know what your husband looks like naked???".... She seriously said 'well, no, because the lights are always off, or he gets dressed in the bathroom'. I was thinking REALLY? I like to see what/who I am doing!!! I DON'T like to fumble around in the dark groping who knows what {who?}.
But that is me.

I consider myself "sexually liberated" but don't talk about it in public as it is "uncouth" here to do so. My own mother taught me at puberty that "sex is only for married people,only for those who want to have kids, only in the dark with the shades pulled and drapes drawn, and NEVER on Sundays!" She also banned us from watching television she considered "to risque". Perhaps that was to be a deterrent, perhaps it's a wonder I was born at all!!!
I once went with her to the hospital library where she said she was looking for books on "sex after 50"... I said "MOTHER! If I had known it was THAT you were after, I would NOT have come!". She asked why and asked if it "wasn't nice to know your parents are still interested?". I said "Mother: I don't want to know about your sex life any more than you want to know about mine".... her jaw dropped and she said "you HAVE a sex life?" {I was 34 but unmarried at the time}.. I said :"mother I am 34 years old....do you really think I am STILL a virgin?...and if so...well, sorry to disappoint you, but I haven't been one for many many years". She sighed a big sigh. I guess she thought all her efforts were in vain???

If we were a more open society in our attitudes towards s-e-x {some can't even say the word, they have to spell it out}, we'd not be so disappointing compared to the Dutch, the Europeans in general, or any other such society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 PM

11,649 posts, read 12,836,349 times
From my experience, the most sexual people tend to be Arab, Persian and Indian men.

Europeans are just sexual in an artsy, liberating, "elegant" way (if that makes sense).

Old 02-06-2016, 12:45 AM

543 posts, read 937,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
From my experience, the most sexual people tend to be Arab, Persian and Indian men.

Europeans are just sexual in an artsy, liberating, "elegant" way (if that makes sense).
Trust me...I am an Indian(as in the country in Asia) and we are by far, by far the most sexually repressed creatures on this Earth. Can't speak for Arabs or Persians but here it is a living nightmare to be a woman. India makes America look like the most liberted, sexually(and otherwise) enlightened country ever.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:38 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,204,497 times
I've heard that the Dutch are the tallest people on the Earth, but that this is relatively new. Prior to WWII, that wasn't the case.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:13 AM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I've heard that the Dutch are the tallest people on the Earth, but that this is relatively new. Prior to WWII, that wasn't the case.
A genetic predisposition might be there, though. Both my grandmothers, whose parents and/or grandparents were from the Netherlands, were 5'8", which even in America was tall for women born in 1892 and 1907. My mom is 87 years old and 5'9" because she has shrunk a couple of inches with age.

Scandinavians are also very tall.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:17 AM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
"they" say: "those who talk about it all the time are the least ones getting it".

I AM assuming you "sampled" multiple examples of this over-zealous sexual-ness you describe? Or was it all TALK you heard? BIG difference.

America is one of the BIGGESt hang-up and sexually repressed societies I know. DOn't forget the PURITANS were among those who settled and proliferated the original colony{ies}.

I remember a woman I knew who took a "survey" in a magazine titled something like "is your mate suited to you" or something like that. SHe read aloud one question: "DO you like the way your mate looks naked"? SHe said 'how would I know?'...I looked incredulously at her and said "7 {yes seven} kids and you don't know what your husband looks like naked???".... She seriously said 'well, no, because the lights are always off, or he gets dressed in the bathroom'. I was thinking REALLY? I like to see what/who I am doing!!! I DON'T like to fumble around in the dark groping who knows what {who?}.
But that is me.

I consider myself "sexually liberated" but don't talk about it in public as it is "uncouth" here to do so. My own mother taught me at puberty that "sex is only for married people,only for those who want to have kids, only in the dark with the shades pulled and drapes drawn, and NEVER on Sundays!" She also banned us from watching television she considered "to risque". Perhaps that was to be a deterrent, perhaps it's a wonder I was born at all!!!
I once went with her to the hospital library where she said she was looking for books on "sex after 50"... I said "MOTHER! If I had known it was THAT you were after, I would NOT have come!". She asked why and asked if it "wasn't nice to know your parents are still interested?". I said "Mother: I don't want to know about your sex life any more than you want to know about mine".... her jaw dropped and she said "you HAVE a sex life?" {I was 34 but unmarried at the time}.. I said :"mother I am 34 years old....do you really think I am STILL a virgin?...and if so...well, sorry to disappoint you, but I haven't been one for many many years". She sighed a big sigh. I guess she thought all her efforts were in vain???

If we were a more open society in our attitudes towards s-e-x {some can't even say the word, they have to spell it out}, we'd not be so disappointing compared to the Dutch, the Europeans in general, or any other such society.
I don't think your experience is the norm, though. My mom is also very religious, but she's not that extreme. She used to complain to us (7 kids) when we were teenagers and young adults that she wasn't getting enough from our father, and it was NOT something we wanted to hear lol.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:01 PM

14,986 posts, read 23,767,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
HAHAHA, is that a joke? ...change that to "sexist", not sexual. The unfortunate social and political standards of the arab and indian world simply mean that women are objects for the a.) kitchen or the b.) bedroom, and a woman in public alone, a western woman, or a woman showing too much skin is automatically a qualification for option (b).
I would, however, easily qualify them with the most sexual hang-ups.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:48 AM

652 posts, read 337,609 times
My ex is part Norwegian and very in tune with her sexuality. Only woman I was ever with who could orgasm by being caressed/tickled with a feather.

I think I'll call her....

Old 02-09-2016, 09:24 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,415,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Maybe because they sent most of their religious zealots to America?
Bingo.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:08 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,656,540 times
Thats obvious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology