Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 03:54 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,838 times

Advertisements

I also hate talking on the phone! But I hate texting also, my fingers are too big. If someone texts me and it requires a long reply, I'll either email or (as a last resort) call them and hopefully get voicemail so I can leave my message and be done.

I rarely answer my cell phone, especially if it's anyone other than my best friend or my sister. Both of them usually have a valid reason for calling. If I answered every time my mom called, I wouldn't be posting this now....I'd be in a padded room in an insane asylum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 04:16 PM

54 posts, read 77,546 times
I can't stand talking on the phone. I'm lucky if I talk to a close friend for 20 minutes (also- my other close friends and I stay in touch through messaging apps).

Old 02-08-2016, 04:25 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I thought that I was the only one who hated to talk on the phone. Glad that I am not alone. Once e-mail started many years ago, I was thrilled. That is really my preferred method of communication, but texting also works for me.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:19 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I much prefer to talk on the phone. There are so many things communicated thru voice that just don't translate via text. I love good conversation. That just can't be achieved via text.

Also, texting lacks privacy. You never really know who is texting you. For example, if hubby's driving, I'll answer his texts. My friend's having relationship issues, she'll ask me to compose the text, etc. My friend gets an awkward/weird text ---it's immediately shared or forwarded. etc.

I have friends who only text and, if it's important, want to meet up. Drives me nuts. Can't you just call me? Seriously?
Sure, I can. What's your number?

Old 02-08-2016, 05:33 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i do not talk on the phone, have not in thirty years, one to contact me, text.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:43 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,532 times
I don't like talking on the phone either. I do it for work a lot and that's all I can stand.

I hate getting endless texts or texts from people who insist I reply promptly. To me, a text is asynchronous communication and I treat it as such. I'm not going to pull my car off the road to read a text. smh

I like IMs at work when I'm in the mood or you have something interesting to tell me. If you're going to tell me something I don't want to hear or already know, I'll be annoyed.

I hate getting 3000 emails per day at work, and getting cc'd on every single email in a lengthy chain makes me want to scratch my eyes out.

I hate mail as well. It piles up and piles up until I have to go through it in batches. I just found a large uncashed check in the pile this morning, from 1.5 months ago, and a variety of $10 copays I owed. (I always offer to pay them at the time of the service, but they aren't set up to do that.)

I hate endless flyers people are putting on my lawn and door. People seem to have full time jobs filling my door up with paper. I recycle all of it.

I don't like RSS feeds or those banners at the bottom of the TV screen when the news is on.

I don't like telemarketers and won't speak to them. Same for people who approach you in the mall offering a free sample of some stupid lotion that will shave 30 years off your face.

I don't like ads on the Internet, except if I do.

So in conclusion, I dislike all forms of communication that are not on my terms--meaning, I have the time and desire to receive it.

True story.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:18 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
It doesn't bother me at all unless I'm in the middle of something. Moreover, I consider it rude for one to leave people on the lurch and not return a call promptly. One can always keep a call short if someone is chatty, otherwise I think it's rude to leave people hanging. If I had my druthers, it would be a requirement that a call be returned within a reasonable time or the phone would be confiscated.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:24 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
I hate to text and just love to talk.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Where do I start?

I hate these new smart phones. I can't hear the other person very well, and they are uncomfortable to use. Carry a phone around? Really? I was tethered to a pager back in the 1980s. No thanks. There is nothing going on in my life that can't wait until I get home.

I have a big button speaker phone at work. Laugh all you want. It's easy to use, I can hear the other person, and I never miss-dial it

At home, I have an old trim line. I leave it turned off a lot of the time. There were too many political calls. Ugh.

There are better things to do than talk on the phone. If it's important, I'd rather get together over coffee.

Whatever you do, please stop talking on your phone in a stall in a public rest room. I don't want to hear about how you're cheating on your boyfriend or other personal details. Double ugh. I suppose that's why lots of people walk around, plugged into an MP3 Player.

I understand if you have a sick child or some other crisis going on, but short of that, the constant use of blabbing on phones in lines and such is really annoying. Send a text, instead.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I hate talking on the phone. I HATE HATE HATE HATE the sound of my voice. I sound like Minnie Mouse on helium to me. It's HORRIBLE! Plenty of people yammer on about absolutely nothing. Every phone call with my mother rolls around to her foot problems every 10-15 minutes. We've all got problems. Some of us just don't share them with the world. And we don't really want to listen to others yammer on for an hour - or more - about their problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology