Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:07 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Who are we (the public) to judge and dissect someone who chooses PS? Sorry, but most of these arguments make absolutely no sense. People choose PS for a variety of reasons, and frankly, it is none of my business why, nor do I give a rat's --- what others choose to do.

That's how I feel. Not my body. Not my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 11:19 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
How much do you think plastic surgery costs? No one takes decades to "pay it off". Try two or three years and a life time of looking better, and perhaps increased earning power, in certain fields.

It most certainly could if it's a full face-lift that runs close to $10k! That's what a friend of mine had, with underarm 'tucks' at the same time, and it wouldn't surprise me if she's still paying it off almost 20 years later. I've noticed that she never uses a credit card for anything and is living pretty frugally.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:46 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
I would love to have a facelift---but for me it is not worth the chance that something could go wrong.

I made conversation with a woman the other day about traveling with her Dad. When she walked away I suddenly realized that was probably her husband, not her father and her odd looks were probably a facelift.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
It most certainly could if it's a full face-lift that runs close to $10k! That's what a friend of mine had, with underarm 'tucks' at the same time, and it wouldn't surprise me if she's still paying it off almost 20 years later. I've noticed that she never uses a credit card for anything and is living pretty frugally.

A friend of mine had "The Life Style Lift", essentially a mini face lift that takes care of jowls, a double chin - in an other wise normal weight person, and mid and lowe facial sagging.
This was a few years ago, and in a very high priced state. I think it was only $2500.

She looked amazing afterwards.

Because of the nature of the "item" you are purchasing, financing is not over ten years. Just think about it.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:51 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Wow, respection level for what brain produces is discriminated just because of messy teeth, huh? People don't use their teeth for thinking

You would not? That is just horribly failure of raising kids and this is why I am mostly blaming society. Because only thing is indeed to stop judging by their looks and instead appreciate them by their skills and characters.

It is actually quite good measuring tool to label these failed raised people if is having something not so trendy in own looks. No need to waste time with those people who would let such things than crooked or messy teeth to define who someone is. Better quality company is available always - those who focus on what people are inside.

It gives deeper, stronger and more spiritual friendships when one knows that a friend would never change "respection"-level by weekdays looks. Bad hair day? I so not respect you, we are not friends before you are getting a better hair dresses, huh! That kind of person has no idea what -respect- is at first place.

Have you peeked into other countries attorneys and scientists, when (if) you are reading articles of new studies, are you first seeking what they looks like and then think if that study is valuable or not? Or are you seeking the factories how they made that study?

It must be true because he is handsome, it must be failure because of his crooked teeth..

I would react to someone with severely crooked teeth similarly to how I would react to someone who uses the "respection."

But seriously, severely crooked teeth says someone more about a person than simple less-than-attractive looks. If the person is under 50, unless they are from another country, it says that they either grew up in poverty or had neglectful parents. That's because by the time people my age reached our teens, getting braces was normal and expected. Not necessarily for a mildly crooked bite, but for anything severe and noticeable. If I see someone my age or younger with crooked teeth, does it make me not respect them as human beings? Of course not. does it make me look down on them completely? Of course not. But I will draw conclusions, silently, about their upbringing. Even those in the professional world who did grow up in poverty or with parental neglect know this and get their own teeth corrected in adulthood.
It may be "trendy" to you, but it's been the "trend" for at least 30 years now, so I don't think it's a fad. In no way does it define who a person is or determine their value as a human being. But just like being clean and neat, it says something about the person.

Do I lose respect for a professional who has a "bad hair day"? Of course not. But if they come to work rumpled, dirty, or sloppy or messy, yes, most of us will judge that in some way.

Face it, somewhat straight teeth are now an expectation just like other expectations with proper grooming and hygiene. It's not about attractiveness but about being "put together" and well groomed. Nothing to do with being handsome or pretty. But I would not apply that to people from other countries because they likely did not grow up with these societal expectations.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:15 AM

562 posts, read 463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
Who said that I want to get plastic surgery? and if I did, who said that I want recognition for it?

I find it hypocritical how people consider plastic surgery to be shallow, but they don't consider the natural good looking person, who simply won the genetic lottery, to be shallow.

They praise and admire them to no end. They lust over beautiful men and women, in movies, media, magazines, Tv ads, Tv shows, sports, youtube, EVERYWHERE. They consider the improvement of looks, something to shallow, yet they praise good looks all the time, all around the world.

That is the a huge hypocrisy. They are ok with people who won the genetic lottery and obtained their looks without doing a damn thing, but if someone choose to do something about their not so great looks, they are shunned by society.

Society will always value innate traits over worked ones, that's why. People are aware of this, which is many who get cosmetic surgery lie about it, or simply hide it. Also, the people who use anabolic steroids, do the same thing. They lie about it and hide their use. In both cases, they know they will be judged negatively by society. They know society prefers innate/natural traits.
It's far better in the long run to accept who you are and work on yourself.

I wanted breast implants for the longest, because I wasn't happy with having small breasts, but the truth is, I now prefer myself as I am.

I spent a lot of time researching breast augmentation. I certainly have the money to get really nice breast implants, but in the end, I decided that it wasn't for me. Yes, I'm sure for the first few months, having fuller larger breasts would be wonderful, but I much prefer to just work on me (and become a more complete person) than relying on superficial surgeries to make me feel better for the time being.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:52 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I would react to someone with severely crooked teeth similarly to how I would react to someone who uses the "respection."

But seriously, severely crooked teeth says someone more about a person than simple less-than-attractive looks. If the person is under 50, unless they are from another country, it says that they either grew up in poverty or had neglectful parents. That's because by the time people my age reached our teens, getting braces was normal and expected. Not necessarily for a mildly crooked bite, but for anything severe and noticeable. If I see someone my age or younger with crooked teeth, does it make me not respect them as human beings? Of course not. does it make me look down on them completely? Of course not. But I will draw conclusions, silently, about their upbringing. Even those in the professional world who did grow up in poverty or with parental neglect know this and get their own teeth corrected in adulthood.
It may be "trendy" to you, but it's been the "trend" for at least 30 years now, so I don't think it's a fad. In no way does it define who a person is or determine their value as a human being. But just like being clean and neat, it says something about the person.

Do I lose respect for a professional who has a "bad hair day"? Of course not. But if they come to work rumpled, dirty, or sloppy or messy, yes, most of us will judge that in some way.

Face it, somewhat straight teeth are now an expectation just like other expectations with proper grooming and hygiene. It's not about attractiveness but about being "put together" and well groomed. Nothing to do with being handsome or pretty. But I would not apply that to people from other countries because they likely did not grow up with these societal expectations.
You know what's so funny about your statement about teeth and being raised in poverty or having neglectful parents, it can really be off base. My husbands' teeth are crooked, which doesn't really bother me, but does seem to bother him at times. His parents are very, extremely financially comfortable (always were) and not in the least neglectful. My husband didn't want braces. At all. Do I feel his parents dropped the ball? Maybe, but sometimes as a parent you quit trying to get the horse to drink, after all, it was his mouth. Just wanted to point out another perspective

Old 02-16-2016, 07:57 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Carrying 10K in debt (possibly) 20 years later is absurd. I paid off 10K in 12 months, but had up to 3 years with no interest. How would she ever pay a car off in 5 years if she can't do 10K in a reasonable amount of time, like 3 years or so? Crazy.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:22 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
You know what's so funny about your statement about teeth and being raised in poverty or having neglectful parents, it can really be off base. My husbands' teeth are crooked, which doesn't really bother me, but does seem to bother him at times. His parents are very, extremely financially comfortable (always were) and not in the least neglectful. My husband didn't want braces. At all. Do I feel his parents dropped the ball? Maybe, but sometimes as a parent you quit trying to get the horse to drink, after all, it was his mouth. Just wanted to point out another perspective
Of course there are exceptions. But the conclusion I draw is common.

Also, there are many who will say that letting a kid make a decision instead of the parents is "neglect."
My parents were like "You're getting braces, no arguments." Just like "You're going to college, no arguments." "You will be home by X time on Saturday nights, no arguments." or "You will do what we say, no arguments."

Old 02-17-2016, 05:51 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
Quote:

There could be several reasons, maybe a person decided that who judges a human being by teeth is not worth of respect .. Like I usually think of people who judges me by broken english

Quote:

Clean and crooked are very much different things. Crooked teeth could be cleaner and better nurtured than someones straight teeth. My cousin for example, perfect teeth, did not wash them at 2 years before got sick to endless need of dentist and started to wash them.

Another cousin crooked teeth, very well nurtured, no problems or need to fix.

Quote:

Maybe in hygiene aspect but if work is well done, hygiene is personal matter. Justnever visit on his or her room, call instead, lol

Hygiene is far away from plastic surgery issue.

Quote:
I have seen it is obsession in america. Still in my daily life most peoples teeth are natural. My uni teacher had no 3 front teeth at all, very smart dude My other proffessor was bald, I love that man! Really, I cannot see why looks would make people any worse

Like you see it is you who are brainwashed to think like you think. You have biases, assumptions and demands. Basic on what? looks! You and your society and that is not ethical nor justified.

If people would be blind, the whole "looks" thing would not exist.

Quote:
Of course there are exceptions. But the conclusion I draw is common.

Also, there are many who will say that letting a kid make a decision instead of the parents is "neglect."
My parents were like "You're getting braces, no arguments." Just like "You're going to college, no arguments." "You will be home by X time on Saturday nights, no arguments." or "You will do what we say, no arguments."
You are adult now, you are able to be aware now, no need to still believe all their bias that they taught you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
And you skygirl are one aware person to not ban him away from husband candidates just basic on his teeth.

Maybe he kept them just to find a girl who would appreciate him for what he is and not for his looks

No wonder if he is bothered sometimes when people are making so much assumptions just basic on teeth..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology