Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 04:03 PM

657 posts, read 407,707 times

Advertisements

9 dot puzzle:
https://www.google.com/#q=%27Nine-Dot+puzzle

Newbies form a image of square that is 'not' part of the puzzle, but they don't recognize their 'addition'.
We form a image of 'awareness' but the image is not our real SELF.

http://www.google.com/#q=kanizsa+triangle

Last edited by sakoz-2; 02-28-2016 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 05:01 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem #77 was written by a different Nick than those others written by Nick?

I believe, that it's just you, but I may be wrong .
It's possible that your conditioning was tampered with to make you question that reality causing temporary cognitive dissonance
Or, maybe it was something just as simple as low blood sugar.
I hope that you're back with us.

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 02-28-2016 at 05:09 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 06:17 PM

In #77 Nick did not know all the answers, in all the other posts he does. That's a big contrast.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
In #77 Nick did not know all the answers, in all the other posts he does. That's a big contrast.
That's an interesting statement on the observation of the process of communication.

Do I need to know all the answers ?

I can't ask questions to find your frame of reference or perspective ?

If you had posted links to what you were referring to, it would have cleared up any confusion and allowed me to follow your train of thought.

Light a candle !
Unless you like and look for adversaries through the process of "Baiting the Bull " ?

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 02-29-2016 at 06:50 AM..

Old 02-29-2016, 11:18 AM

[quote=sakoz-

"If believing was not automatic, would we knowingly choose to believe a false thought?"

"I don't think any person would ever choose to believe a false thought. In fact, I don't think it's possible. If you believe it's false, then you don't believe it."
But it's a fact, people 'are' believing false thoughts,(rampantly). They are not 'choosing' to do it because as you said it is impossible, so they are doing it 'unknowingly' or 'automatically/involuntarily' because of being conditioned to do so.[/QUOTE]

The conclusion I derive from the above:
"chosen" thoughts "countermand" automatic/conditioned emotional alarm and/or false thoughts.
When false thoughts are "recognized", they are not believed and thereby they do not evoke needless emotional suffering.

(I was hoping someone else would have presented the conclusion; nevertheless it 'puts you in the 'drivers seat' of emotional regulation/control when you want to change or stop/curb a emotion.)

Last edited by sakoz-2; 02-29-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 05:29 AM

It is, what it is.
I am, that I am.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 AM

"What's in a name?" (Shakespeare)
To me, the word 'spirit' harks of religion. What does the word 'spirit' point to?
In secular terms, what would we name that same phenomenon?
Energy? Electricity in/from the brain?
If the words 'spirit' and 'energy' are synonymous/interchangeable; then I prefer 'energy'.
The word 'spirit' was coined long before physics was a science, the phenomenon was present way back.
This morning, I recognized I have been using the word 'spirit' like the word 'square' is used by newbies trying to solve the nine-dot puzzle.
Now I go beyond the religious connotations of the word 'spirit'.

'Thought electricity' is used to operate computers, wheel chairs, etc.
Google 'robotic skeleton'. Dr. Miguel Nicolelis and his team made a robotic skeleton for a paraplegic who "delivered the World Cup opening kick simply by THINKING ABOUT DOING IT."
How do we 'use' our thinking? What does our thinking have us do?

Old 03-01-2016, 12:18 PM

Synonyms for Spirit:

angel (noun) angel, archangel, cherub, cherubim, daemon, demon, guardian, guardian angel, guide, guru, seraphim.

energy (noun) activity, drive, effervescence, energy, fervor, fire, force, might, pep, potency, power, puissance, snap, spark, spunk, stamina, strength, verve, vigor, vim, vivacity, zeal, zing, zip.

enthusiasm (noun) ardency, ardor, eagerness, enthusiasm, excitement, fervency.

evil spirit (noun) archfiend, beast, dragon, dwarf, fiend, freak, genie, ghoul, gnome, goblin, hell hound, hell-raiser, hellcat, hellion, hobgoblin, imp, incubus, lamia, monster, nixie, nymph, ogre, satyr, siren, specter, sprite, succubus, sylph, vampire, werewolf.

focus (noun) asymptote, axle, bottleneck, center, core, crossing, crux, epitome, essence, focus, forum, funnel, gathering, heart, hub, intersection, kernel, lodestar, lure, magnet, marrow, meat, nucleus, plenum, polestar, rally, rendezvous, soul.

ghost (noun) Dracula, Frankenstein, apparition, bogey man, bugaboo, bugbear, chimera, ghost, horror, illusion, myth, nightmare, phantasm, phantom, shadow, terror.

vigor (noun) agility, agitation, animation, earnestness, exuberance, friskiness, gusto, industriousness, liveliness, lustiness, passion, relish, sprightliness, zest.

Other synonyms and related words: character, dash, disposition, feeling, life, mettle, temper, vigour, vitality.

Personally, I like bogey man the best !

Reference:
SPIRIT synonyms, another word for Spirit

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 03-01-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 12:37 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
To me, the word 'spirit' harks of religion. What does the word 'spirit' point to?
In secular terms, what would we name that same phenomenon?
Energy? Electricity in/from the brain?
If the words 'spirit' and 'energy' are synonymous/interchangeable; then I prefer 'energy'.
The word 'spirit' was coined long before physics was a science, the phenomenon was present way back.
This morning, I recognized I have been using the word 'spirit' like the word 'square' is used by newbies trying to solve the nine-dot puzzle.
Now I go beyond the religious connotations of the word 'spirit'.

'Thought electricity' is used to operate computers, wheel chairs, etc.
Google 'robotic skeleton'. Dr. Miguel Nicolelis and his team made a robotic skeleton for a paraplegic who "delivered the World Cup opening kick simply by THINKING ABOUT DOING IT."
How do we 'use' our thinking? What does our thinking have us do?
Posts like this are why these repetitive threads go nowhere. I'm out, have fun.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Posts like this are why these repetitive threads go nowhere. I'm out, have fun.
Google the name, Juliano Pinto, and get more details.
elhelmete may not read this.
Pinto, a paraplegic is helpless but a device was made that he could use by THINKING ABOUT kicking the ball ENABLED him do do it. That's not amazing? Then what is? The power of 'thought', what a power that is.
But to elhelmete it's "repetitive",'stuff' he already knows; and that's what he 'sees'.
He's stuck in his assumptions, EXACTLY like a person trying to solve the 9 dot puzzle, he does not see how he prevents himself from seeing what there is to see. That's also what is meant when we say a person can't get off his "hamster wheel" of his thoughts. He sees what he knows over and over.
He may not want to know his hidden assumptions, but I doubt that; because we function 'better' when we do know what we are reacting to. The status quo is limited. But many people resist change.

"Hidden assumptions" are like implicit premises, they are unspoken but function nonetheless. (9 dots an example).

Last edited by sakoz-2; 03-01-2016 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology