Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 02:55 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
*backs away quietly*

No worries, we're just having a friendly, intelligent discourse so there is no cognitive dissonance !
And quite possibly a side result of this is establishing territory, boundaries, and maps of where to go and not go !

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 02-15-2016 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 03:07 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Sakoz doesn't like being challenged. hence the "ego" comment, etc.

Fortunately, he mostly replies to himself.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Sakoz doesn't like being challenged. hence the "ego" comment, etc.

Fortunately, he mostly replies to himself.

I see, kind of a display of his cocooned conditioning that results in his cognitive dissonance that he can't quite tune into.

I've always found these types of people intriguing because of the universe that they exist in.
They can go on a trip and never leave the room !

Old 02-15-2016, 03:18 PM

657 posts, read 407,842 times
NickofDiamonds: Reread your #3 above and tell me what that has to do with what I wrote in #1.

I'm willing we start over. Nick read #1 again and address the subject please.
You start with your judgements about it and generalizations, you did not address the topic nor the question.

Let's make it real easy and start with the title; "What's your premise of believing?"

Old 02-15-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
NickofDiamonds: Reread your #3 above and tell me what that has to do with what I wrote in #1.

I'm willing we start over. Nick read #1 again and address the subject please.
You start with your judgements about it and generalizations, you did not address the topic nor the question.

Let's make it real easy and start with the title; "What's your premise of believing?"

I'm not going on your fool's errand of going back to #1 and #3.

However, the premise of believing is the mind's way of learning what's right and what's wrong with the consciousness of changing one's beliefs through trial and error through feedback from their interaction with the environment that surrounds them.

If you live in the mountains, the woods, or in Saudi Arabia, you will have beliefs that are different then others but there are some axioms that don't change no matter where you go on this planet.
Science, math, physics are some examples of these beliefs by humans.
I hope that this is real easy for you to understand without resorting to circular questioning.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I'm not going on your fool's errand of going back to #1 and #3.

(cop out?)

However, the premise of believing is the mind's way of learning what's right and what's wrong with the consciousness of changing one's beliefs through trial and error through feedback from their interaction with the environment that surrounds them.
Good answer.Why is there so much emotional misery/hurt? Are humans slow learners? Why are so many false thoughts believed? Their our thoughts, by believing false ones, we are in effect, "shooting ourselves in the foot" so to speak.

quote; "....believing is the mind's way of learning what's right and what's wrong....etc" unquote
Does that mean; "believing is the mind's way of learning which thoughts are true and which thoughts are erroneous?
Believing false thoughts is too rampant for your definition to be acceptable. (to me).
I agree with your part where you said "interaction with the environment..."
How about when we interact with our thoughts, but don't recognize our thoughts but 'mistake' them for the environment; that's a case of "confusing the map with the territory".
(the classic example of confusing the map with the territory is 'believing the thought 'bogyman' as being really 'territory', when in fact it's only thought.)
Is that the Don Quixote syndrome? It's very prevalent.

Last edited by sakoz-2; 02-15-2016 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-15-2016, 06:55 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
I couldn't help it, but your question about 'believing' - and the 'map is the territory' made me recall this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Not everyone has 'maps', and even those who do may not have enough layers to formulate a clear belief. I'm reminded of Richard Feynman's recollection in youth of when asked to understand a cat, he asked for a 'map' of the cat.

I'll give your query a try. I think some people will wait until they have enough 'layers' (i.e. data points / variables) before they will form a belief. And there are others who will willingly accept 'beliefs' of various types to give them comfort, or make sense of something they do not have enough data points to do so (probably the most common premise, if admitted) with greater degrees of certainty (sort of analogous to the old adage that 'there are no atheists in fox holes').

Statements can hurt (some) people's feelings if they value the statement maker and then impute the statement as negative. The nuance of intent is often not clear and the recipient can often interpret a statement one way or another.

Automatic 'believing' is a tool used to control people; sometimes instilled for good reasons (say, safety for the non fully developed human i.e. guardians often instill beliefs into progeny for their own safety-sometimes easier than explaining cause and effect) and sometimes bad reasons (leaders instilling 'beliefs' into other adults to not challenge or (usurp) their control over the mechanisms of control (educational, financial, judicial/ legal, mass media, religious, scientific, etc...) in the economic political realms of their time.

I surmise your point is more attuned the latter 'conditioning'. Breaking that conditioning is difficult when it bathes a large population continuously through various means.

There's also the realm of delusional belief; believing one's own thoughts without any concern for verification i.e. the bore and blowhard who thinks he's god's gift to women or the internally wrought who contrive fantasy worlds like The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Conceptually you can think of the realms of influence being the nine dots exercise and the only way to connect the dots is to go 'outside' the nine dots to do so.

"Man's mind once stretched never goes back to its original dimensions" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Old 02-15-2016, 07:12 PM

Ciceropolo: Thanks for your contribution, it's a refreshing change from what you see I've got thus far.
(It's getting late so I'll 'sleep on' what your wrote and reply more to-morrow.)

Old 02-15-2016, 08:49 PM

48 posts, read 49,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
We believe the wind is real - we can't see it but we see the effects of it. And we can feel it.

Jim Jones' followers believed his false teaching as he led them to mass suicide.

We believe there are only the colors that are visible to us, when in fact there are many other colors that we aren't able to see this side of heaven. That's what I believe to be true.
Hi. Some things may be "likely," but not absolute. Although I tend to agree with your basic thought there -- there are realities we do not see, but suspect (if that's a good word) are there. (true) :-)

Old 02-16-2016, 03:25 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
"So automatic believing is not feasible."

Of course it isn't. We are given free will or choice. There are such things as good and evil. We choose which path to take. Nations do the same. The 20th century was the most violent in word history. The forces of good eventually prevailed, but the forces of evil keep flaring up in regional areas.

Once again, mankind must choose whether to sit and watch or to intervene for good. Sometimes we are frozen in place by analysis paralysis such as in Rwanda around 1993 when 600,000 Christians were massacred - with machetes. Today on Mount Sinjar there are Christians, Kurds and Yasidis (sp?) surrounded by evil forces who find joy in beheading men and raping women. They follow a book that advocates evil.

Some of us have fought for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology