Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 04:44 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,281,751 times

Advertisements

Maybe they think they won't be taken seriously if they are too attractive or high-maintenance looking. There is a stereotype that pretty women are dumb, I believe. So they are probably trying to avoid being stereotyped, is my guess.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:13 PM

92 posts, read 83,488 times
Some women aren't aware of their beauty. Some may be shy and feel awkward getting attention.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:38 PM

305 posts, read 180,063 times
I was a late bloomer in every sense of that phrase. I looked malnourished and I was so, so pale.

When I was in middle school I really wanted to be pretty. I tried to look like the other girls, but I was painfully aware that I could never get it just right... then one of my friends told me that my group of friends had been joking around about what to be for Halloween and one of them suggested wearing oversized clothes to look like me, and the reply was, "oh I'd kill myself if I were her". We were the outcasts of my school, we were supposed to all be friends. That was very damaging at the time.

By the time I got to my senior year of High School I had finally grown into myself and people kept telling me how pretty I was, but it was awkward to hear and I didn't believe them. I had become okay with the fact that I was ugly and always would be, because I had a great personality, I was intelligent, and I was very talented - I didn't need looks.

Around 21 is when I think I actually started to believe I was attractive in a conventional sense. Now at 28, I'd still rather be complimented on my abilities and talents before my looks, but I've learned to take a compliment. It was a good coping mechanism that I really needed for many years.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
My questions is, what causes a girl to repress her looks all in the name of wanting to be liked for something other than 'superficial beauty'
Who says the pretty girl is "repress her looks all in the name of wanting to be liked for something other than superficial beauty".
Maybe she's repressing her looks so she won't keep getting hit on by men with their brains in their [little] heads....that's probably all there is to it.
Also, any women I"ve known, never felt the need to"compete for mates", nor were they EVER jealous of other beautiful women, nor did they ever put them down for their lifestyle choices....course I'm talking women who are mature (not old) enough to know and respect that we all live our lives in different ways.

I don't think ANY women would "repress" her looks for any reason other than to deter being harassed by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology