Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:54 AM

862 posts, read 1,196,347 times

Advertisements

One morning last week I was having a conversation with my neighbor and her 13 year old daughter. While the three of us were talking a young man working for a local pizza place was attaching fliers on the doors in our complex. Knowing that my other half hates such things being attached to our door I asked the young man politely not to put a flier on our door. The young man started to call me every single dirty word enough to probably would had made Larry Flynt blush !! He also cussed out my neighbor and her daughter too. We couldn't believe it !! After I told him to leave I told my neighbor who was still shocked by his actions as I was that I am going to call up the pizza place and report him. She then begs me NOT to do such a thing and went on to say "...do not get him fired !!" and that she would be very mad at ME if I would report it. No she did not know the pizza employee I asked. Anyway not to cause a problem between the neighbor and myself I ended up not calling up the pizza place.

A few weeks ago my other half more/less witnessed the same thing at a local store. He witnessed an employee at a supermarket not only becoming angry with a customer but went as far as telling the customer that she can "..go to hell !!". Of course she went to the manager but according to my other half she begged the manager to "...please don't fire him !!".

A family member some years back had also seen this sort of thing at a supermarket. A car pusher was busy talking on his cell phone only to ram the cart into a car causing damage to the car. The owner of the car saw it and management was notified and again the owner of the car also begged that the store not fire the cart pusher even though the cart pusher made it clear that he could had cared less about what he did.

OK now I know most people in general don't like to see someone losing their job but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. In these situations despite the actions of these employees why do some people still feel the need to beg "....please don't fire them !!" even if their actions are totally unacceptable ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 03:27 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,641 times
Because we are human. Everyone has an off day besides, the people in the jobs you've described clearly aren't rhode scholars. They're probably frustrated that they're fighting tooth and nail to hold down a job that pays just enough to not be entirely homeless.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Because we are human. Everyone has an off day besides, the people in the jobs you've described clearly aren't rhode scholars. They're probably frustrated that they're fighting tooth and nail to hold down a job that pays just enough to not be entirely homeless.
That does not excuse such behavior. If that person ever hopes to get a decent job, they must learn to control their temper and treat others with respect. My wife had a similar situation with a young woman at the local Taco Bell drive-up window, who actually called her a bi___. After my wife reported it to the manager via the email address in the window, she received a response that included an apology and the news that the girl had received other complaints and been warned and had been fired. Since then, she has turned up as a cashier at the nearby Rite-Aid so it seems that she landed on her feet, and hopefully learned her lesson.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,997 times
I'm thinking it's because they've seen "The Donald" do it so much that it's now ingrained in their soul how it's almost like being damned to hell.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:53 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
One morning last week I was having a conversation with my neighbor and her 13 year old daughter. While the three of us were talking a young man working for a local pizza place was attaching fliers on the doors in our complex. Knowing that my other half hates such things being attached to our door I asked the young man politely not to put a flier on our door. The young man started to call me every single dirty word enough to probably would had made Larry Flynt blush !! He also cussed out my neighbor and her daughter too. We couldn't believe it !! After I told him to leave I told my neighbor who was still shocked by his actions as I was that I am going to call up the pizza place and report him. She then begs me NOT to do such a thing and went on to say "...do not get him fired !!" and that she would be very mad at ME if I would report it. No she did not know the pizza employee I asked. Anyway not to cause a problem between the neighbor and myself I ended up not calling up the pizza place.

A few weeks ago my other half more/less witnessed the same thing at a local store. He witnessed an employee at a supermarket not only becoming angry with a customer but went as far as telling the customer that she can "..go to hell !!". Of course she went to the manager but according to my other half she begged the manager to "...please don't fire him !!".

A family member some years back had also seen this sort of thing at a supermarket. A car pusher was busy talking on his cell phone only to ram the cart into a car causing damage to the car. The owner of the car saw it and management was notified and again the owner of the car also begged that the store not fire the cart pusher even though the cart pusher made it clear that he could had cared less about what he did.

OK now I know most people in general don't like to see someone losing their job but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. In these situations despite the actions of these employees why do some people still feel the need to beg "....please don't fire them !!" even if their actions are totally unacceptable ????
I've had somewhat similar experiences with customer service people whose behavior was inappropriate. I'd never complained about someone in my life, so I discussed it with my friends, ALL of whom said "Don't complain!" That was the wrong answer. The behavior only escalated, and I had to complain in the end. People like that SHOULD be fired; they need a clear message that such behavior isn't acceptable to a company that depends on good customer relations.

My conclusion: there are a LOT of people in our society who are afraid to assert themselves, and say "this is wrong". You'll be doing others a big favor by complaining, and having the errant employee removed.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:25 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Why ruin somebody's life over one incident? Maybe he/she only had a bad day. A warning is enough. They either get their crap together and are more professional, or the next time they really will get fired.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
If I have a complaint I complain and personally I don't care if someone gets fired even if they are having a bad/off day.
It was their choice to behave in a manner worth getting fired for and I am happy to help them achieve their goals.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:24 PM

89 posts, read 113,356 times
Well, I can see both sides.

First of all, I have tried to get people fired before--not in the contexts you describe, but more so poor coworkers (I have two I'd love to get fired and report things to my boss, who wants us to tell him what's going on anyways, and he and I have talked about firing these two workers). It's not, for me, about being a bad human being or unfeeling. I have low tolerance for bullsh!t, but especially when it negatively affects me as coworkers not doing their job does. Plus, it's not really me "getting someone fired"; it is their not doing their job the right way. It's their fault, just like in the examples you give. If they didn't want to get fired, they should have provided the kind of service they are supposed to.

Working with people who provide poor service to the public and even having worked other jobs with poor coworkers, I know they do poor work/provide poor service because they know they'll probably get away with it, whether you complain or not. Your complaints would get that person confronted, but they're not going to get fired 90% of the time. Almost every employer I've had puts up with a ton of crap from poor workers and keeps them, and I had one who did eventually fire a bad employee but only after tons of complaints, warnings and chances over and over again. I have a hard time believing so many people don't understand this is how places of employment operate, or at least in the US anyway, because we all see it at some point.

One of the employees I've been kind of trying to get fired has been at my job for maybe a year and a half, screwing up left and right, taking money, not doing this or that, coming in high. The managers know it. He's just not going to get fired, and I've worked other places where that was the case. So, people have to know on some level that complaining to a manager doesn't equal getting someone fired.

I think "I don't want to get him fired!" is an excuse for not wanting to cause a scene and not wanting to be confrontational. I know that I never complain when I have a bad experience as a customer, and that's really why--not caring about whether or not someone gets fired. And in the case of going somewhere to call or report a pizza guy, that takes effort, which seems even more "malicious," but mainly I'm going out of my way for confrontation in doing that. If I'm checking out of a hotel that was horrible and the front desk asks me at checkout how everything was, I can tell them and that's totally different from going and looking up the number to a pizza place, calling, asking for the manager and then complaining. But even in the hotel situation, I probably wouldn't say anything to the desk worker's face because I'm too wimpy for that. I'd go online and write a bad review, if anything--no one sees me, no one knows me, I'm not arguing with anyone, etc--it's anonymous.

Let's get real--no one really gives a damn about anyone else. This is about me and my comfort, not caring whether or not you have a job. That's just now how humans operate--we care about ourselves, and then family and friends, only. Sorry, it's true. That's why I talk about my coworkers behind their backs to the managers vs, for example, talking out loud in meetings about everything they do wrong while they're sitting there.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:18 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
There was a grocery cashier who literally threw each item of food toward the bagger and many of my items were damaged. When I called the store manager to complain, his response was that his hands were tied and if he reprimanded an employee then said employee would probably quit and he'd have to do the work himself.

So much for anyone being held accountable.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:22 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,376 times
It's not fair to the business if the person is not reported. That person is representing the business. It is basically unethical not to let the business know that their representatives are acting in manners that are inappropriate.

It would totally suck for the business owner to be paying people to act in abusive manners towards their customers and potential customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology