Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 09:13 AM

971 posts, read 688,522 times

Advertisements

I was standing in the garage last night after going through some possessions I had never unboxed from my last move, and I realize I truly have nothing to show for all my years of hard work, possession wise. I am not counting vehicles and toys, nor money in the bank, I am talking about actual material possessions such as household goods etc.

After two divorces and all the fun that goes with losing two homes and furniture, etc, I really have nothing that I have acquired over the long run, like most people do. I have managed to hang onto very little from my past 35 years on the planet. It makes me kind of sad.

Now I know material possessions are supposedly not supposed to mean anything according to some people, but it would be nice to be able to walk into a house and be able to actually see things I have owned for years sitting there.

Does anyone else feel this way and if so, how do you get over it? Kinda been in a rut over this lately, along with some other personal things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
That is a GOOD thing. Having the amount of household stuff increase continually over time is BAD. Because this means that you'll need to move to bigger and bigger houses. Apart from the rich, this is not feasible.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:50 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,252 times
I went through the" looking for love in all the wrong places" phase also and when it hits home, one has to take a good look at their life and ask themselves "what am I doing wrong ? "
Time to start over again and take care of number 1 as that's you're all that you really have.
You came into this world alone and will go out of it alone.
it's up to you as to how you want to be treated and how you want to live your life's journey.
Be kind to yourself !

Old 03-04-2016, 11:25 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
I do not understand what you are talking about.

What possessions? Old, ugly dishes, vases and other cheesy outdated stuff? Many people are way to obsessed about old stuff.

I change most furniture, dishes and everything every 5-10 years to keep it all modern and cool, depending on where I live. I don't see the point in keeping grandmas old stuff just because it was grandmas old stuff. NEW is better.

I still have a few pots from when I had my first apartment, they were expensive so I can't throw them away. Sometimes I wish they break so I can buy new ones without feeling guilty.

I never go into somebody's house and find old stuff laying around worth looking at. Look at all the rich peoples houses - clean, sleak, no unneccessary BS standing around. It's prettier and less dusty.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:49 AM

964 posts, read 994,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
That is a GOOD thing. Having the amount of household stuff increase continually over time is BAD. Because this means that you'll need to move to bigger and bigger houses. Apart from the rich, this is not feasible.
I agree. It means you haven't accumulated a lot of clutter. If you want nice furniture, go out and buy some. Or buy one piece at a time, savoring the experience, and building a small collection of prized pieces. Look for unique items or a style that especially appeals to you. I like Asian furniture, myself. Each piece is like a work of art.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:57 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Had a minister who reminded us that "everything you own today will someday be in a garage sale". Truth.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:05 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I do not understand what you are talking about.

What possessions? Old, ugly dishes, vases and other cheesy outdated stuff? Many people are way to obsessed about old stuff.

I change most furniture, dishes and everything every 5-10 years to keep it all modern and cool, depending on where I live. I don't see the point in keeping grandmas old stuff just because it was grandmas old stuff. NEW is better.

I still have a few pots from when I had my first apartment, they were expensive so I can't throw them away. Sometimes I wish they break so I can buy new ones without feeling guilty.

I never go into somebody's house and find old stuff laying around worth looking at. Look at all the rich peoples houses - clean, sleak, no unneccessary BS standing around. It's prettier and less dusty.
You're fortunate to be able to afford that. It's extremely expensive to replace all that. Most people buy furniture and dishes for a lifetime, unless they buy cheap laminate items, or something.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:39 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,842 times
I'm looking at all of my "stuff" right now. I really need to start donating to good will.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:45 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I was standing in the garage last night after going through some possessions I had never unboxed from my last move, and I realize I truly have nothing to show for all my years of hard work, possession wise. I am not counting vehicles and toys, nor money in the bank, I am talking about actual material possessions such as household goods etc.

After two divorces and all the fun that goes with losing two homes and furniture, etc, I really have nothing that I have acquired over the long run, like most people do. I have managed to hang onto very little from my past 35 years on the planet. It makes me kind of sad.

Now I know material possessions are supposedly not supposed to mean anything according to some people, but it would be nice to be able to walk into a house and be able to actually see things I have owned for years sitting there.

Does anyone else feel this way and if so, how do you get over it? Kinda been in a rut over this lately, along with some other personal things.
I'd say that was your choice. If those things mattered to you, you would have bought them and kept them.

It's just material possessions. Material possessions break, get lost, stolen, get damaged, wear out. So you just have to buy more of 'em.

You must have furniture. Do you sit on the floor? You must have dishes and pots, right?

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean family heirlooms? I have some things I inherited, and they're really just in the way, and the style isn't my style.

It's good not to have a bunch of junk. Minimalist is the thing these days.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
I am not of the opinion that it is best to have as little in the way of possessions as possible. I do believe in buying what you need, purging from time to time, and not going overboard via hoarding. But some of the things I've had since my early marriage, things given me by my mom and grandmother, etc, are indeed precious to me. So, I understand how you feel the lack of similar items.

In order to feel connected, in the way that owning something special makes you feel connected, locate snapshots or photos of some of your good memories. Treat them with respect by having them enlarged and/or framed for your place. I think these could be the touchstones from your past that you feel you lack now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology