Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2018, 09:44 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
That they have a mental illness and should be treated as such.
It saddens me that you think that somebody different than you must be mentally ill.

I've had many gay friends and you could argue that they are TGs who decided to not go for the body change. Actually I think most if not all of them didn't have any gender disphoiria (that I noticed) but simply liked boys with boys. Who am I to judge them? Nobody appointed me God.

I'm pretty sure most of them didn't want to change genders. They were happy with their gender and their gender identification and preferences. They were men who liked men, or more sadly men who liked boys. I'll give you that, that there is a boy who wants older man thing, and a man who likes younger men (sometimes boys) that leaves me a bit discouraged.

I haven't known many lesbian or bi women although I'd like to know more.

For the records I'm a hetero man who likes kissing and hugging women. But I don't see why my male gender preference for women has to get in the way of liking gay people, or TG if I met any. I haven't met any TG people. I don't know if I'd handle it gracefully or not.

People, you just have to learn to not hate people who are different from you. If anything just be glad you are not like them. I hate to say, most of the gay people I met were one-off, somehow IMO lacking, sad people, many of them into drug use, and two of my best gay friends committed suicide. That's not a great record since I haven't known a lot of gay people, maybe couple dozen.

R.I.P. Dennis. R.I.P. Scotty. I'll miss you both. Dennis was my age (sr. citizen now if alive). Scotty was in his 20s when he committed. Maybe 50 if he had survived today.

I liked my gay friends. I never said it was a burden people could carry without bother or harm.

I'll always remember the evening Dennis and his friend J. Stevenson (***** might still be alive) took me to Studio 54 in Hollywood, a premier gay hangout in Hollywood emulating Studio 1 in New York. I never heard such a sound system that you could feel in your rib cage as the bass thumped.

Yeah some guys asked me to dance and I politely said, "Maybe another time." (not) It showed me that the gays sure know how to party, and at the time this venue was mainly gay. I don't know about now, that was 20 years ago.

I just feel sorry for people who are insecure in their sexuality that they feel threatened or disgusted by gay people. I'm totally hetero male and love women, and I have no problem having gay friends, and so far none of my women had any problem with them either. Gay people are good to party with. Just don't kiss them LOL.

Last edited by Lovehound; 05-05-2018 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 11:58 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
I don't think anything about transgender people. It's their own life to live. They aren't hurting anybody just by being transgender.

I wonder less about them, and more about people who have strong opinions about them.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:36 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,062,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The treatment is living as the gender they identify with.
Their suicide rate proves your suggested treatment is only more of the same sickness.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:43 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,062,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I don't think anything about transgender people. It's their own life to live. They aren't hurting anybody just by being transgender.

I wonder less about them, and more about people who have strong opinions about them.
You also don't think much about the transgender law , C-16 , enacted in Canada and the EU.
Refusing to use their preferred pronoun is a crime. That's called compelled speech.
To even debate the law is illegal.
When you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

https://youtu.be/p93NCyV5Hws

Old 05-06-2018, 06:31 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
You also don't think much about the transgender law , C-16 , enacted in Canada and the EU.
Refusing to use their preferred pronoun is a crime. That's called compelled speech.

https://youtu.be/p93NCyV5Hws

"Bill C-16 – No, its Not about Criminalizing Pronoun Misuse"

Bill C-16 – No, its Not about Criminalizing Pronoun Misuse — Mark S. Bonham Centre for Sexual Diversity Studies

" Arguments about free speech and pronoun criminalization have been debunked by legal experts, "
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ctions-n773421

Old 05-06-2018, 07:13 AM

824 posts, read 704,960 times
Every American is a genetic scientist and its their business to know what goes in the house apartment next door.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:06 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Their suicide rate proves your suggested treatment is only more of the same sickness.
Transgender children who are supported by their parents have the same suicidality rate as their non-trans siblings and the general community.

https://www.washington.edu/news/2016...mental-health/

The biggest factor in adult trans suicides is the way they are treated in the community. People who believe they are sick are part of the problem.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:47 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
I only judge people by who they are on the inside. If you're a good person, honest, and kind I will be friends with you whether you're white, black, brown, gay, straight, or trans. I respect everyone's right to be who they were bon to be, but if you're a rectum? See ya.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Quote:
It is interesting to note that doctors have one of the highest suicide rates of all professions, and that among doctors the psychiatrists have the highest rate.

Quote:
In America to debating any law is protected speech under our Constitutional rights. Also, I can use any pronoun I wish, ma'am. (Yes jones, I know your gender.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I only judge people by who they are on the inside. If you're a good person, honest, and kind I will be friends with you whether you're white, black, brown, gay, straight, or trans. I respect everyone's right to be who they were bon to be, but if you're a rectum? See ya.
Yeah, me too. I feel sorry for people who have such problems, accept that many of them don't view it as a problem. All I see is people. I form my opinions upon the individuals, not what groups or classes they are in.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times
This is interesting:

https://www.heritage.org/gender/comm...e-the-big-ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology