Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 02:39 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times

Advertisements

I feel for them living in the society the way it is and the way people judge each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 02:57 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
I applaud their bravery and courage but I also question their thoughts.

As a black man, if I decide I want to be white and bleached my skin and permed my hair, I would be told it was self-hatred and looked on as a freak.

But if I wear a wig and skirt, I'm suppose to be respected?

Society is clearly not ready to go down this rabbit hole of endless possibilities of self-identification. If you can self-identify as a different sex/gender, then you should be allowed to self-identify as a different race.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:23 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
One thing I am absolutely certain, I'll pick my pronouns based upon the appearance of the person, and won't ask him to drop his pants or her to lift her skirt. (Ick!)

I was at a cafe Friday and was faced with a gender neutral person, our server. Me and GF discussed the person's gender and I never did come up with an answer. She had an answer and I know it's a very bad idea to argue with my date!

Old 05-06-2018, 05:01 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Their suicide rate proves your suggested treatment is only more of the same sickness.
It's not my suggested treatment, and if you are referring to the John Hopkins Dr., his study was discredited and JH is doing TG surgeries again.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatepeoplesomuch View Post
What are your thoughts on transgender people?

-How do you think transgender people decided to transition? In other words, do you think it's simply a matter of misalignment of the body and mind, a severe mental illness, or a conscious decision?

I believe transgenderism is epigenetic and should carry no stigma.

-Would you date a transgender person? What would be the deal breaker?

I've been married for more than thirty years, so no?

-More likely to date a "passable" transgender person or non passable?

Irrelevant.

-What thoughts would run through your head if you found out someone is transgender?

I'd make a note of it and move on with whatever I was already doing.

-When it comes to friendships, would you be friends with a transgender person?

If we had similar interests that could be the basis for friendship, yes.

-Would you be "embarrassed" to be seen with a transgender person, whether it's as friends or as a love interest?

I've stopped caring enough about what other people think of me to be embarrassed.

-Are you likely to openly make negative remarks at a transgender person?

No.

-Also, describe yourself a bit! What's your age, political views, and location? Urban, suburban, or rural? White collar worker or blue collar worker?

Fifty-something woman. Mother of young adult children. Politically unaffiliated. Intermountain West. Suburban. College-educated.

This is purely out of curiosity. My friend and I touched on the subject and it got me interested to see how open the world is.
Answers in red above.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Answers in red above.
I particularly liked this part: "I've stopped caring enough about what other people think of me to be embarrassed."

I'm single, male, and white, and when I'm dating a black woman I could care less what bigots think.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:30 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Do you think it's right that straight men are bullied into dating MTF transgenders/biological men with male DNA born with a penis?
how are men bullied into dating ANYONE??

Quote:

I have a number of MTF transgender friends who I love very much

I'm interested to see what people think of transgender people.

-How do you perceive someone that is "passable" vs. someone that's not passable?
For instance, PrincessJoules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9BVPUzNaVQ vs. someone that has obvious masculine features but still wears female clothing and presents as female?

-How do you think transgender people decided to transition? In other words, do you think it's simply a matter of misalignment of the body and mind, a severe mental illness, or a conscious decision?

From what my friends have told me, it is a misalignment, for lack of a better term.

I am twice divorced and have no interest in dating ANYONE anymore..... But if the chemistry and attraction were there, I would have no problem dating a FTM ...... deal breaker?? loss of interest in the relationship or cheating

I'm guessing that for me, the person would have to be passable

-What thoughts would run through your head if you found out someone is transgender?

the same thoughts I would have about anyone when getting acquainted...... I am more interested in THEIR interests, goals, what makes them happy, what makes them mad..... what makes them TICK......

I am already.....

-Would you be "embarrassed" to be seen with a transgender person, whether it's as friends or as a love interest?

Heck no ..... I do get annoyed at times by the stares from others, though......

No..... I treat others as I myself want to be treated.

-Also, describe yourself a bit! What's your age, political views, and location? Urban, suburban, or rural? White collar worker or blue collar worker?

58 y/o, fairly liberal, professional/white collar, college educated woman in a suburban to rural-ish area of a large urban area.

This is purely out of curiosity. My friend and I touched on the subject and it got me interested to see how open the world is.

and Lovehound, I am loving your posts in this thread..... you sound like a fun guy!!

Old 05-07-2018, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the complement latetotheparty! I've been working on my head for about 5 years and just in the last 6 months or so I'm getting a pretty good pay-off. For the record I have always been non-prejudiced. What I mean is that until recently I wasn't that social, or the term that I LOL at: social butterfly. I recently went about a dozen years since breaking up with my previous girlfriend, and perhaps a bit like you (or not) I just sort of withdrew from dating. I was interested in women, just not enough to do anything, and inhibited by a tendency to shyness. Changing my head and joining two online dating sites changed all that. The women I'm dating seem to be having a good time. I am!

It would be interesting if somebody in the know could describe how transgender people look and act. The TGs I've seen in the news didn't impress me as a very acceptable presentation of their new gender. The TG men appear seriously feminine (like a woman wearing a Chaplin mustache) and the TG women appear seriously masculine, almost a travesty in the original meaning of the word: before it was acceptable for women to appear in live plays so men dressed as women played their parts.

Just for the record, I think that true transgenderism has to be more than just a psychological condition. Most people don't realize (but I do due to my education BS degree + minor in Psych) that there aren't just two genders, there is a wide spectrum of intermediate and indeterminate genders between male and female (true XX and XY). There are also many genome anomalies that contribute to gender appearance and probably gender identification. — I don't know for sure but my best guess is that the real transgenders are more likely than not to not be the ordinary XX or XY with no unusual genomic characteristics.

So if any of you know transgender people well, please describe your friends or acquaintances.

It may also be interesting to compare and contrast transvestism vs. transgenderism. ... This is an interesting topic and I'm glad I'm in it and reading the other posts. I am particularly glad that everybody had been serious and genuine in their discussion of what may be a controversial topic for many. I really like topics that lead to improved relations between diverse people.

But I think I'll stick to dating just women, LOL!

Old 05-07-2018, 11:10 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:

I'm interested to see what people think of transgender people.

-How do you perceive someone that is "passable" vs. someone that's not passable?
For instance, PrincessJoules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9BVPUzNaVQ vs. someone that has obvious masculine features but still wears female clothing and presents as female?

My thoughts are....live and let live. What does it cost you to do so...?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:32 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
On a personal level, I feel sorry for them as society just isn't set up in a way for those people to be comfortable. A lot of trans people, particularly youth, go through some pretty awful things. The suicide rate for trans teens is astronomical. The murder rate for trans women with male partners is also high.

With that said, I think the movement toward trans is more of a function of mass media than anything else. I believe people are mostly born on some continuum of bisexuality, with some people being exclusively gay or straight. I don't see any genetic component to being trans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology