Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:03 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post
I was about 17 and was surprised people can be like that.
I was raised in Eastern Europe when i moved to USA. i found out.

I also think that on USA television, there is a lot of LGBT people. and Media is pushing it on purpose to brainwash people. LGBT people have higher rate of homelessness and poverty.
the government wants those people to be powerless and weak!.

Russia has banned gay discussions for 100 years in public.
China has banned same sex relationships on TV.
I think I was around 12 or 13 when it became a major political debate issue and I found out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 11:33 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
First off it is a choice just as any other choice that someone makes. You are not born gay. It is strictly environmental programming that brought someone to make that choice.
No, not even for a second. Recall to me the time you made a choice to be straight. If it were a choice, I would not have endured the ridicule and shame throughout middle and high school that sent me home in tears. I would snap my fingers for a magic fix if it were so easy. You are extremely arrogant and uneducated on the topic to suggest that so boldly.

I am much happier now, but the misconception you spread is far too common. And not even remotely true.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:11 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
I grew up Catholic and quite sheltered from the outside world. I knew what homosexuality was from reading the Bible. I didn't realized it actually existed until in my 20's that some people are gay from watching TV.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:15 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Especially ABC

Old 03-12-2016, 10:11 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I didn't realized it actually existed until in my 20's that some people are gay from watching TV.
Some people are gay from watching TV? Wow!

Old 03-12-2016, 12:58 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And highly ineffective propaganda if it's capturing just 8% of the population.

The more one reads through threads on this forum the more one can understand how people like Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and Ben Carson were/are considered legitimate candidates for President of this country. Talk about erosion of society...scary stuff.

Last edited by kyle19125; 03-12-2016 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-12-2016, 01:03 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I grew up Catholic and quite sheltered from the outside world. I knew what homosexuality was from reading the Bible. I didn't realized it actually existed until in my 20's that some people are gay from watching TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No, I was watching a TV show or something and on the show people were talking about the gay population. It may of been the news. I don't remember. It was probably around 16yrs. ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
And highly ineffective propaganda if it's capturing just 8% off the population.

The more one reads through threads on this forum the more one can understand how people like Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and Ben Carson were/are considered legitimate candidates for President of this country. Talk about erosion of society...scary stuff.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post

My next door neighbors while growing up were (male) gay partners, nice, but very private. I knew they were "different" just thought it was strange two guys lived together.
Where I grew up, small town in the 1980s and 1990s, my friend's neighbors were two older women...we just always assumed as kids that they were friends, like the Golden Girls. No, they were actually two retired Navy nurses who had been in a relationship for decades and lived out their days together quietly. When I got older, and worked at the local newspaper, I typeset one of their obituaries when she passed away. Being in a small community, and part of two marginalized groups, gay and elderly, must have been stifling at times.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:25 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
I first heard of Gay people when my Mom's cousin committed suicide in 1962. I was 9. She didn't use that word though, she called him a sissy. One day just after Stonewall, I told her I thought I was gay. She said "NO you're not, and don't ever say that again." At least I knew where she stood, (right on my foot!) So I stayed in the closet until she died when I was 26. My dad never mentioned a word about it.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:01 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
I first heard of Gay people when my Mom's cousin committed suicide in 1962. I was 9. She didn't use that word though, she called him a sissy. One day just after Stonewall, I told her I thought I was gay. She said "NO you're not, and don't ever say that again." At least I knew where she stood, (right on my foot!) So I stayed in the closet until she died when I was 26. My dad never mentioned a word about it.

Sounds a bit like with me. I too was 9 when I first heard about gay people but in my case down the street from us lived two guys. Whether they were gay or not that I don't know but I do remember the day in August 1977 when they came home from work only to find the body of their beloved dog in their front road ( he was stabbed to death ) and hearing my then neighbor saying if they weren't "disgusting sissies then the dog would had lived". I don't think the police ever did find out who had killed their dog but they did move out of town not long afterward.

Gay propaganda in media ??? That debate has been going on forever. I can remember back in the 70s hearing from preachers that Laverne & Shirley and Lenny & Squiggy were gay only because on TV they were seen living together and yes they had said the same thing about Felix & Oscar on The Odd Couple too ( guess they never saw the movie ). If that didn't sound silly there was that Elton John tune "Daniel". I can still remember when our local AM radio station had banned that tune from their station back in the mid 70s. Why ?? Because some doofus called them up and told them the song was about a man who was having a sexual relationship with his own brother named Daniel. Talk about taking the lyrics out of context !! The ban didn't last though and years later I had a chat with the owner of that station and he told me it never happened but I and many others do remember it. I am not surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology