Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:14 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am 29 years old, never married (but in a LTR), no kids. Recently I went on a splurge of Faceook friend add-- adding lots of old high school classmates, both from my class and 3+/- above and below. We were a fairly small school. It was a very weird feeling to see several of my classmates married, with children. It just made me feel..behind. I don't feel ready to have children right now. I would like to get settled with a house, and to move into a higher paying position at work. I also work nights. I work for the airline industry, so right now, the gf and I love to travel. We are able to travel at a very discounted rate. We were planning to get as much travel in as we can while we're young, and then settle down.

Any good suggestions? Has this happened to you? I know that being married and having children isn't everything, and obviously they have their own stressors, but it still makes me feel behind. Besides delete Facebook!

It also may be worth noting that I am ~ 2,000 miles away from many of these people. 50% stayed in the state, and the others have moved elsewhere. Regardless, no change of bumping into anyone.

Last edited by leadingedge04; 03-13-2016 at 12:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 05:14 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
So ... You felt good about your life and your choices until you started comparing yourself to others on FB?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...d-feel-happier

Forbes Welcome

Also, "never compare your bloopers to someone else's highlight reel."

Old 03-13-2016, 05:47 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So ... You felt good about your life and your choices until you started comparing yourself to others on FB?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...d-feel-happier

Forbes Welcome

Also, "never compare your bloopers to someone else's highlight reel."

Yes, I spent a few hours looking at old friends (adding them, and then finding friends of friends that I also went to school with) and saw that a lot of them now had kids/married etc.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:26 AM

21 posts, read 19,239 times
Its not a competition and even if a competiotion what a goal? Just try to concentrate on your own.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:30 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Why are you comparing yourself to anyone? You chose a different path to walk through life. Stay off of facebook, it only causes unnecessary drama, comparision and hysteria.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:41 AM

777 posts, read 1,872,917 times
Just so no to Facebook. It's pure evil.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:47 AM

370 posts, read 654,428 times
Where do you live? 29 where I live ( E.U) is considered too young to even marry lol. We are still trying to figure things out! By the way don't compare your life to your boring friends. They probably sell car insurance or something like that lol!

Old 03-13-2016, 12:23 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Many are envious of your life.

Secure job.
Healthy.
Very young (yes.... you are still very young)
Stable long term relationship that you want to be in.
Flexibility in lifestyle with subsidized travel.

You are actually living the dream, and you don't even realize it. Most of us will wait until retirement to fulfill a dream of travel, and then never do it because we can't afford/die/have medical problems that impede it.

I look at all those people spending all their time posting on facebook, married young and stuck in their home town STILL at the age of 29 and I think....... UGH! Sounds like a nightmare!

And most of my friends who married in their 20's were divorced by their 30's. My friends who married later have done much better....

So turn off Facebook, and enjoy your great life.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:31 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
I wouldn't worry about it. From what you've written, you're not behind by any stretch of the imagination.

And I'm with sfcambridge. Don't worry about facebook and enjoy life.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:39 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,
I am 29 years old, never married (but in a LTR), no kids. Recently I went on a splurge of Faceook friend add-- adding lots of old high school classmates, both from my class and 3+/- above and below. We were a fairly small school. It was a very weird feeling to see several of my classmates married, with children. It just made me feel..behind. I don't feel ready to have children right now. I would like to get settled with a house, and to move into a higher paying position at work. I also work nights. I work for the airline industry, so right now, the gf and I love to travel. We are able to travel at a very discounted rate. We were planning to get as much travel in as we can while we're young, and then settle down.

Any good suggestions? Has this happened to you? I know that being married and having children isn't everything, and obviously they have their own stressors, but it still makes me feel behind. Besides delete Facebook!

It also may be worth noting that I am ~ 2,000 miles away from many of these people. 50% stayed in the state, and the others have moved elsewhere. Regardless, no change of bumping into anyone.
I remember feeling that way briefly in my 20s. And we didn't even have FB.

It passes. Don't worry about it, just live at your own pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology