Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 12:00 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times

Advertisements

If I had my choice between hanging out with crowds vs 10 or 12 of my closet friends, I'd take the friends. It has nothing to do with the herd mentality and everything to do with love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 12:49 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times
bottom line---we are here for the survival of our species and everthing else is there to bolster it including sex drive(mainly sex drive)

Old 03-19-2016, 02:47 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Certain regions of country more "herd" oriented, too. Scary, isn't it? People who can't think for themselves and can't find out what they think.
That is an interesting point....that some regions do this more than others.

I will try to explain what I mean a bit better. Let's say a beach community has events every weekend in the summer. All are roughly equal in terms of popularity/appeal. It is getting towards the end of summer. There are no holidays "at play". It is almost guaranteed that one of those weekends will have crowds show up in much larger numbers than the other weekends. (And again, we can remove a variable like weather; it's a place where the weather is almost always good).
Why? The masses will subconsciously want to go on the weekend when everyone else is going. There will be a huge herd.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The more I live, the more I realize what the biggest human drive is (stronger even than sex desire): the herd mentality. To be with a lot of people in the same place at the same time, doing the same thing. It's kind of depressing to realize. Thoughts/ experiences?
No, I don't agree.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:06 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
If I had my choice between hanging out with crowds vs 10 or 12 of my closet friends, I'd take the friends.
Well, really, you can only fit just so many into the average size closet. I should think that even 10 or 12 could get a mite uncomfortable, unless you're all doing something that requires extremely close, intimate contact.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:08 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
I stopped feeling the need to follow crowd when I was in high school.

I must be some alien from another planet.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:36 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
That is an interesting point....that some regions do this more than others.

I will try to explain what I mean a bit better. Let's say a beach community has events every weekend in the summer. All are roughly equal in terms of popularity/appeal. It is getting towards the end of summer. There are no holidays "at play". It is almost guaranteed that one of those weekends will have crowds show up in much larger numbers than the other weekends. (And again, we can remove a variable like weather; it's a place where the weather is almost always good).
Why? The masses will subconsciously want to go on the weekend when everyone else is going. There will be a huge herd.
A beach community will often have a planned 'programmed' event calendar. The end of summer is a primal tribal call probably going back to mankind's earliest rituals. If it is populated be seasonal dwellers they will often want to optimize their reason for being there by experiencing the local flavor in unison.

Some people develop 'cycles' of down time and 'tribal / community' time. These will vary based on culture. I do agree some people find a need for belonging with their tribe / herd very strong throughout their lives. Much of it is tied into self identity and sense of belonging but it doesn't always involve uniform 'assembly'.

I went to enough large events early in my life to realize certain types of events (entertainment type) were often excuses for some to act like idiots in the crowd of anonymity. Depending on why individuals engage in the event would be more telling. Not everyone that attends an event wants to be part of a 'herd'. It may simply be the only chance to see a particular skilled performer / entertainer in person and they want to experience it at least once.

You may like to examine this thread which touches on the same issue:
//www.city-data.com/forum/psych...l#post38784127

Old 03-19-2016, 07:37 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
I should add that if people "get wind" that many other people are thinking of going to a place at a particular time, that subconsciously makes them want to go at that time too.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:

Or they realize the summer is almost over so they better go while they can.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:58 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymatter46 View Post
Herding?

I would vote for (drum roll)...........LOVE,
.. and it's flip side, Hate.
True. I'd replace the word hate (along with other emotions) driven by fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology