Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:15 AM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klotone View Post
Jhagoods, I'm glad you reached out and expressed your feelings. And getting therapy is an excellent first step.

One thing you could try, and I'm only saying this because I heard of a guy who quit his addiction to a medication... and he also changed his body clock because he was staying up all night. He just got as much sunlight as he could, during the day. And if possible, get morning sun and setting sun rays. This may sound strange but our brains need sunlight. And using cellphones and computers have a blue light, which isn't good for the body. If you google: "Blue light has a dark side" you'll see an article about it. This is one reason, in my opinion, that so many people have sleep issues. You can get free software for your computer and phone which will block the blue light. It's called f.lux. Also, try to not use the computer at night.

Another idea would be to talk to a holistic doc because you may need certain natural supplements since your brain chemistry may lacking some nutrients. Brain chemistry is complicated and when things aren't balanced, it can cause all kinds of issues with emotions, addictions and depression.

And perhaps look into EMDR and/or tapping. I know someone who was scared as a kid a lot, and the EMDR healed it, so that people could walk behind this person and they wouldn't be scared. Massage therapy is also good and helps to release trauma that is stored in the muscles. I think most massage schools will give free bodywork as they are studying.

And if you believe in God - prayer and also meditation. Best wishes in your healing!
The bolded. It's a very effective--miraculous, if you ask me--treatment for trauma, and it only takes a few sessions, if it's a good practitioner. It gives people their life back, if you know what I mean. You can Google it + your locale + "psychotherapist" or therapist/counselor, and see who comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 12:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
OP, lots of people go their whole lives and never have the insight that you seem to. So congratulations for that! (In fact, your father probably felt the same way--out of control and angry--but never came to terms with it.)

Do seek a good therapist--someone you're comfortable with but who also challenges you. Depending on where you live, there may be support groups in your community for sex addiction, gambling addiction and narcotics addiction. There may also be anger management support groups. And you don't say whether you've been physically abusive toward your wife, but if you have, there may be groups that target abusive men. If those groups are available, try all of them and see if there are any that speak to you.

I also second the suggestion of meditation. It doesn't have to be real woo-woo if you're not into that. I like this book: 8 Minute Meditation Expanded: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life.: Victor Davich: 9780399173424: Amazon.com: Books

Good luck to you.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Yep, lots of great advice.
However, you then repeat again...I'm controlling, I'm this and that....
It's like watching a person in a house fire screaming when the firemen have placed a ladder for them.
Just knock it off...for one week...stop controlling and the other stuff.
Just stop...you will like it....and yourself much better.

A week is nothing I could eat white rice for a week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology