Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 08:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,438 times

Advertisements

Growing up as boys then becoming men, we are taught that males don't use certain words such as cute. Only sarcastically as in "that was cute" after seeing something somebody did go wrong. We find out how to talk from our buds that we hang out with, as well as Dads, Uncles, brothers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 09:49 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Handsome, yes; cute, not if they're over 12.

Slightly off topic, today's straight young women seem to me the gayest creatures that ever existed ;-)

Old 03-26-2016, 09:58 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,143 times
I doubt it? It seems men do not use the word 'cute' for being attractive. It seems more a feminine sentiment. I could say, "that young woman is really cute" and not be thought of as gay. My guess, men who are secure, will admit to knowing when another man is good looking, but I doubt they think 'cute' describes him?

Old 03-26-2016, 10:20 PM

51 posts, read 60,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatepeoplesomuch View Post
See, this is what I wanted to hear! Do any other straight men think like this?
I'll second that thought. I don't think there are many guys out there that really merit being called cute based on looks alone, but actions can be cute regardless of gender/sex. Usually cute might come to mind for actions that are ditsy, futile, incredibly cheesy, childish, or that contrast with something about the usual self/image one tries to present, followed by an immediate attempt to maintain that image while acting as if the break never occurred. I can't think of any good real life examples right now, but if fiction counts, then BL (boy's love) anime has some pretty stupidly cute stuff in it. Sekai ichi hatsukoi comes to mind, or maybe even the newer south park episode about tweek and craig that is about that whole BL genre.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:15 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,560,635 times
Guess that rules out calling Patriots quarterback Tom Brady dreamy....

Old 03-26-2016, 11:57 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
As a gay man, I think it's ridiculous when straight guys can't just admit another dude is attractive. You don't have to be sexually attracted to them, but you can obviously (and objectively) tell when someone is just good looking
Agreed. There are some people intrinsically good looking - - to not be able to admit that is kind of weird.

As far as cute, though - - that one's tough. For anyone who thinks men can be cute - - who is a famous person who'd fall into that category?

Just thinking about that word with how my wife uses it: she says that sometimes about old men (75+) who are (seemingly) post-sexual. So can a male between the ages of 15-75 be cute?

Old 03-27-2016, 04:53 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,189 times
I don't really understand the word cute as it is used for describing people. I think women know what it means. Seems like it is more than just looks, but also an element of behavior. In general, cute is a word females use. I do understand what it means for describing a kitten or a puppy, but if as male coworker asked me if I thought his shoes looked cute, I would probably avoid him after that.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 AM

505 posts, read 501,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
No, if other men are "cute" or "pretty" it is not a good thing. We don't compliment them because it is not manly to be "hot", or "pretty", or "cute". Especially if the guy is being sort of girlish cute. We straight guys think that guy is being "gay" and trying to attract us to him whether he is or not. This means trouble. We either avoid the guy or in school, sometimes the guy was sanctioned or berated which today is called "bullying" and not allowed in school.

I don't want to feel that a guy is cute. To me, it means the guy is messing up and dressing or acting too much like a girl.
Good lord

Old 03-27-2016, 09:43 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times
"Cute" is reserved for pets and kids, rarely for women and never for men.

And the only women I consider cute are those adults who can still pass for pom pom girls like Jennifer Aniston and, up until she put on weight, Valerie Bertinelli.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:02 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,443 times
Cute describing the actions of another man: maybe. "That was a cute move!" (I don't really say this though.)

Cute describing the looks of another man: no, not really. I can tell that another man is comparatively "attractive" or "handsome" or "good looking" or "physically fit" and use those words to describe them. Jon Hamm is comparatively handsome (especially compared to me, but I'm a schlub) It's just a fact.

Funny thing is, though, that even the most good looking men are handsome from a distance, but when you get closer you can find flaws like a crooked nose, receding hairline, weird adam's apple etc. To me, this seems different with very attractive women; the closer you get the more stunning they become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology