Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:01 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm referring to Autism Spectrum Disorder, also known as Asperger's Syndrome, my problem, not theirs.
All right, that's how I took it but I was confused; I didn't realize you were referring to yourself.

Interestingly, one of my children is autistic, another has some autistic tendencies and I believe their teacher is autistic - as you say, Asperger Syndrome, or the former designation of it, anyway (technically, per the new DSM, it no longer exists as its own diagnosis).

So it's likely your autism is affecting how you deal with these children. Since you mentioned it, it's also likely you realize this. I get that specifically you're talking about deliberate behaviors on the part of the children but what measures do you take to deal with children and communicate with them effectively given you are autistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Well, I took a step and wrote out some much more specific classroom rules to address behavior issues we were seeing again and again. I didn't think it was necessary at first, because the kids are given a set of rules to follow already, and I thought I would just work within those rules. It seems that explicitly posting my rules and expectations worked a lot better than expected, though. I had far fewer disruptions. So far, I've been talking to them, picking out the most disruptive ones, and trying to follow my chain of consequences--warning, in-class time-out, and out-of-class time-out and referral.
All kids, "problem" ones or not, need to know SPECIFICALLY where the lines are they can't cross. Even good kids will attempt to push those boundaries; that's pretty normal. I have to think that kids who have behavioral issues will do it all the more. And when rules aren't always enforced or aren't clear then it's just chaos. This isn't just true in a school setting; it's the same for children at home - if the rules aren't clear the kids pretty much run amok, and get offended and angry when a rule IS enforced. So this clearly defined set of rules could indeed help. It sounds like a good first step to me.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:11 AM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I think you asked what will happen to the kids you have in the juvenile detention facility.

Realistically, and not politically correct, many of them will end up as residents in a much more regimented facility for varying lengths of time for the rest of their lives.

Others will follow in the footsteps of their parents, many of whom will continue to be a multi-generational drag on the productive members of society.

A much smaller number will overcome their environment and earlier mistakes and become what we define as regular citizens.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:36 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
All right, that's how I took it but I was confused; I didn't realize you were referring to yourself.

Interestingly, one of my children is autistic, another has some autistic tendencies and I believe their teacher is autistic - as you say, Asperger Syndrome, or the former designation of it, anyway (technically, per the new DSM, it no longer exists as its own diagnosis).

So it's likely your autism is affecting how you deal with these children. Since you mentioned it, it's also likely you realize this. I get that specifically you're talking about deliberate behaviors on the part of the children but what measures do you take to deal with children and communicate with them effectively given you are autistic?
I've tried to establish better routines for the kids. I can't function very well around unplanned chaos, and even simple disorder frustrates me. My attack plan is to reinforce my rules until they become second nature to the kids. I'm also going to try to provide engaging learning experiences that hold their attention. I'm counting on the rest to be taken care of by the officer in the room.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:43 AM

Quote:
I've tried to establish better routines for the kids. I can't function very well around unplanned chaos, and even simple disorder frustrates me. My attack plan is to reinforce my rules until they become second nature to the kids. I'm also going to try to provide engaging learning experiences that hold their attention. I'm counting on the rest to be taken care of by the officer in the room.

I'm going to tell you something I think you know and may hurt your feelings, if so I apologize.

Part of your problem isn't subject knowledge and won't be totally fixed by enforcing new rules. It centers around your ASD, you have trouble interpreting body language and nuance. Those are two of the most effective tools in a teacher's bag of tricks and you don't really have them.

Connected to that, and I think you recognize it to an extent now, is that the kids you have now aren't "normal" by any definition.

So interaction which will work with most regular kids in a regular school setting won't work with them.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:58 AM

To MM, who repped me with a comment about "inner city kids". She is not teaching in the inner city but a juvenile detention facility. Is that a definition, for you, of "normal"?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Is there any way to look for a different teaching job? I'm not saying this flippantly, as if jobs are easy to come by...I'm just saying, these frustrations will probably continue for you. Have you been looking around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology