Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 01:29 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times

Advertisements

I've looked for it under every term I could think of--- passive aggression, micro-aggression, gas lighting, covert passive aggression, anti-social behavior, borderline, etc--- I can't find an explicit example and accompanying term to go with it.

So what I'm trying to find a term for is when a person wordlessly tries to control the physical space--- such as in the home of a family member-- to deny you, in a seemingly coincidental but covert way--- access and use of certain spaces in a home.

This is some weird sh-- but, you know when you get the sense that something is happening far too regularly to be an accident every time? That's what this feels like. It's like this person is physically blocking my movements or certain objects I need to get to and passing it off as either ignorance of my presence or just an accident of general day to day circumstance.

They either put themselves in the way of certain rooms I might be expected to want to use or block objects I need to access with other objects.

We have clashed in the past-- namely over this person's control tendencies (they are a relative, not a partner)-- and we obviously have issues but I would never have expected them to fall to this kind of immature game.

I've never seen anything like this. It's like they are trying to confine me to as small a space as possible and comes off as some kind of psychological tactic.

It's not working...I have a very strong head on my shoulders but I want to know if this kind of covert, non-direct confrontational abuse has a name? It sounds like a form of passive aggression but none of the signs for PA that I've read include the covert control of physical space.

I have no doubt it's a symptom of some kind of mental disorder but I am not sure which. It almost seems like obsessive compulsive disorder combined with passive aggression. I mean who would be likely to try to antagonize someone in such an unusual manner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 03:47 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
From what you wrote, s/he is trying to control you. This is a type of emotional abuse. Most types of abuse fall under the big 3: emotional, physical or sexual. (There is also neglect but that usually involves a child, elder, or someone disabled.)

And to me, if s/he is *physically* getting in your way or blocking your way, this is more straight our aggressive vs passive aggressive.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:33 AM

953 posts, read 842,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
From what you wrote, s/he is trying to control you. This is a type of emotional abuse. Most types of abuse fall under the big 3: emotional, physical or sexual. (There is also neglect but that usually involves a child, elder, or someone disabled.)

And to me, if s/he is *physically* getting in your way or blocking your way, this is more straight our aggressive vs passive aggressive.
These issues are complex, but I do agree with the above response. With many problems having their roots in a person's early childhood development and formative years, maybe this individual experienced trauma in one of those three areas characterized by having to endure some type of extended physical confinement in which their own unfettered access to space was purposefully denied, giving rise to the present day behavior.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:33 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
It's control. It's like the person who deliberately puts cheese down near his dog so he can have the pleasure of watching the dog keep looking over helplessly in a combination of desire and utter terror of what might happen if he eats the cheese.

To some people it's not real control unless they can see the suffering and the struggle attached. So for instance, watching you start to go near a room or a part of a room, glance back in fear/uncertainty at the abuser and sort of stumble off instead.

Is there a name for it? Sick. Okay, that's just my unofficial DX.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:42 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,986 times
Does it matter what it's called? I mean, if you want a name for it, I can make one up: Jerkfacia territoriata.

It's really just a form of manipulation to try to block you out physically, as this person might feel helpless about blocking you out mentally, while simultaneously calling attention to themselves. Best way to deal with a manipulative little weasel like that is to confront them head on. Call them on their b.s. "Hey, I noticed that every time I need to get into the hall closet, you stand in the way. What, hiding gold in there? Same goes for you constantly putting your GI Joes around my pencil cup. It's juvenile. If you have a problem with me, grow up and say something, because the next time you do it, I'm just pushing your crap out of the way and leaving it for you to clean up."

And then do it.

As you can see, I have no respect for weasels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology