Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:38 AM

657 posts, read 407,842 times

Advertisements

Is there a name for that 'syndrome'?
We ought to name it because it's pandemic.

Some answers to the topic question please.

Last edited by sakoz-2; 04-21-2016 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 12:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Hmmm. How about: the normal human condition?

That description works for me.

Because frankly, assumptions, while they could be incorrect, are based on parameters we have established through experience during our lifetimes and give us a jumping-off point for understanding a situation. Without those parameters we'd be lost and every new experience would be treated as ENTIRELY new, as in literally, soup to nuts. Life would be impossible to navigate that way.

All human beings make some assumptions. We may be corrected and graciously accept that correction, or our assumption may be correct. It can go either way.

So I'm going with: normal human condition.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:10 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
At its worst it's prejudice or bigotry.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:16 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
At its worst it's prejudice or bigotry.
At its worst, yes, I agree.

But why assume (not necessarily you, fleetie) that an assumption must be negative/negatively judgmental? Sometimes we make assumptions far on the other side of the scale; yet other times, the assumption may be neutral. For example, I might walk into a party assuming people will be friendly and the food will be good. I'm assuming my kids will have a good day at school today because they left in good moods and with a good breakfast under their belts and the homework all done, and I'm assuming my work day will be done at about 2:00. None of these are negative. They could be wrong but they exist because they are my parameters, via experience, of these various happenings. They give me a basic "graph" or chart (mentally) of my day and allow me to proceed forward: 1. I'll start getting dressed for the party at 6PM, 2. I'll be waiting at 3:00 for my kids' buses, 3. I will map things out for my work day and make a list of what to have done before 2PM.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
How can you not know that what you just perceived is an assumption on your part if your perception is based on assumptions made beyond the scope of the factual information given at that moment?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Hmmm. How about: the normal human condition?

That description works for me.

Because frankly, assumptions, while they could be incorrect, are based on parameters we have established through experience during our lifetimes and give us a jumping-off point for understanding a situation. Without those parameters we'd be lost and every new experience would be treated as ENTIRELY new, as in literally, soup to nuts. Life would be impossible to navigate that way.

All human beings make some assumptions. We may be corrected and graciously accept that correction, or our assumption may be correct. It can go either way.

So I'm going with: normal human condition.
What you call 'the normal human condition" involves needless/unnecessary emotional suffering.
quote; "All human beings make some assumptions."unquote. Yes, we are designed/structured to make assumptions*. And yes, can be correct or false. "It can go either way". So 'recognition' is the key to optimal use of assumptions.
The question is; "What's the outcome when we UNKNOWINGLY assume perceptions?"
My answer to that:- Our amygdalae react automatically to perceptions, those originating in/from environment and those simulated/imitated by 'thought' (assumed perception). amygdalae do not recognize the difference, so we must be aware of the thoughts we think so that we can dismiss/veto/rescind thoughts BEFORE amygdalae react to false ones.

*When a deer or rabbit hears a noise from behind a bush, they flee, before or without 'seeing' what caused the noise. (It could have been another deer or rabbit, or some other innocuous source, they don't wait to see because time is of the essence 'in case' it is made by a predator. Doesn't that 'seem' like rudimentary assumption at the cellular level?) In case of animals, it doesn't matter if they were 'wrong', they survive, and that's what matters. With humans, when we 'recognize' it's only an assumption, not every assumption is a critical life or death. When the perception originates in/from environment, I agree, don't take chances, but when we 'know' it's our own assumption,(thought) we're about to react to, we can avoid making so many mistakes.

Last edited by sakoz-2; 04-21-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How can you not know that what you just perceived is an assumption on your part if your perception is based on assumptions made beyond the scope of the factual information given at that moment?
Great question. You familiar with the rope/snake illustration?
We can 'look' at a piece of rope but 'see' a snake, (snake is assumed perception in that case).
If someone is with you, ask them do you see a snake? If they don't then your sure you experienced a 'assumed perception".

Years ago, when I heard someone say; "When you assume, you make a ass of u and me". It did not feel right to me, I knew I could not stop assuming any more than I could stop breathing.
I learned to 'be aware of ' or 'recognize' when assuming.

Last edited by sakoz-2; 04-21-2016 at 01:27 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 09:50 AM

[quote=JerZ;

/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610;
[quote=sakoz-2]Great question. You familiar with the rope/snake illustration?
We can 'look' at a piece of rope but 'see' a snake, (snake is assumed perception in that case).
If someone is with you, ask them do you see a snake? If they don't then your sure you experienced a 'assumed perception".
/QUOTE]

Old 04-23-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
"How can you NOT know that what you just perceived is an assumption...............?"
It seems incredulous; but it happens all too often, (everyday, called 'conditioning')
Examples: Most children DO NOT RECOGNIZE their thought of 'bogyman' is only a thought. and they suffer as a result.
Placebo experiment subjects DO NOT RECOGNIZE their thought of innocuous sugar pill is only a thought and they are deceived by their own thought/assumption.
How can they NOT know that what they just perceived is ONLY their assumption?
Shall we inquire into that, and come up with an answer so that we will RECOGNIZE our assumptions from then on? CSD610, I do hope you participate in that inquiry, and several other readers as well.
Relief is in sight, once we recognize our assumptions.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:09 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Amzanig huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology