Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like gender roles?
I am a man and yes I like my gender roles 23 31.08%
I am a woman and yes I like my gender roles 17 22.97%
I am a man and no I do not like my gender roles 6 8.11%
I am a woman and no I do not like my gender roles 17 22.97%
Something else 11 14.86%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 08:51 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times

Advertisements

I believe it's healthy to accept whatever part of my gender is influenced by biology and to make good life choices for me based on that.

As others have mentioned that doesn't mean I have to accept others' definitions of my gender role. Both nature and social pressure are strong influences but nature is primary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 09:13 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
THey are irrelevant to me. I have disregarded them all my life, and will continue to do so.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:45 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
The title of the thread says it all. Do you like or dislike gender roles? No right or wrong answer, but answer for yourself personally and not for the rest of men/women. Do you feel fine with being a man and having the roles and expectations of you? (leader, provider protector) Are you a woman and feel fine with the roles that are generally considered female? (support, nurture, giver of life) I will make the poll by sex so we can see if there is any difference in men and women on the question.

Just gauging the community. Go ahead.
I'm male. I feel men and women do tend to think differently in ways, so in that sense I do like gender roles...to a point. The thing to remember is that those are just general views about how people are likely to behave. They're not anything to force on people.

For example, I think men and women tend to prefer different sorts of conversations. Women don't generally seem to like crudeness. Crudeness generally seems to be a good way to burn bridges with women fast. Men will seem to find crude things more humorous.

I think it would be a mistake to just strive to treat women and men exactly the same way in ways. I will be considerably more likely to tell men my favorite book is "Pissing in the Snow" which is a book of extremely horrible, revoltingly crude jokes gathered from the Ozarks areas. Instead, I might tell women how much I liked The Lord of the Rings if they're into fantasy...unless I know that they do like crude stuff. I do, however, feel strongly that we need to just relax and not care when people step outside those gender roles. One of my favorite people is Richard Simmons. He's healthy. He's optimistic. He also takes gender roles, spits on them, stomps on them, then wipes his behind with them for no other reason than that he feels like it, and I think that's neat.

I do see some potential problems that could result from teaching society men and women are exactly the same though.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:12 AM

687 posts, read 616,755 times
I said no because I find gender roles to be about fitting in with the social group and cultural norms. Some find that easy, and others do not. We end up putting emphasis on arbitrary ideals, which is hard for me to accept as necessary or good, especially when they become arbitrarily damaging and dismissive of the range of human expression and experience.

I find it easy to fit in my gender role. It is easy to conform but difficult to justify.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:48 AM

854 posts, read 520,601 times
I think people would be happier in the long run if gender roles didn't exist. They stand in the way of women and men being individuals and reinforce patriarchy. I prefer gender neutral relationships. I'm not overly fond of chivalry either.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Sometimes gender roles are not roles; they are simply the way we are.

I don't accept the premise of your question. Most of us do not inhabit a place that requires absolute adherence to someone else's idea of a gender role.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I voted "other" because there was no option to express that I like all gender roles.

I like them all. Without them we would all be identical except for our dirty bits. Sex would be just a mechanical act, insert tab A into slot B, remove, repeat steps until satisfactory results are achieved.

What I don't like are gender biases, gender stereotypes, gender prejudices. Although I am a male heterosexual, I think everybody should just follow whatever makes them happy as long as they do it with cooperating adults and does not hurt anybody.

The French have a saying: "Vive la différence." I totally agree.

No gender roles doesn't cut it with me.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:36 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
I love traditional gender roles and mourn the loss and destruction of them by modern feminism, which believes that they are entirely socially constructed and should be demolished - They are not,the masculine and feminine are ancient universal principles.

I am very traditionally feminine and embrace a lot of traditionally feminine attributes,like domesticity,homemaking,cooking,gentleness,overly caring,intuition over reason,emotion,some submission etc etc

I find being this way brings out masculinity in men, and relationships are more natural and harmonious than I see around me.I also find I'm very happy being this way.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:36 AM

676 posts, read 528,425 times
I like some of the gender traits assigned to women and some that are assigned to men. I admire strength and courage, but also nurturing and compassion. I have been described as androgynous in my personality.

I am off-putting as a woman because I am not friendly and don't smile much. I don't try to put others at ease and I don't care much if others like me. I am assertive and confident and that is sometimes admired and often disliked.

On the other hand, I am seem to garner positive regard for my strength, ability, sense of adventure, loyalty, nurturing of family, and attention to the needs of my family.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:44 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I love traditional gender roles and mourn the loss and destruction of them by modern feminism...
I disagree. If someone wants to be a "modern feminist" then that is their right to personal choice, and their right to express their gender role any way that it pleases them. It's their life!

However I like women with strong personalities and I could totally get along with such a woman if she also believes in gender equality. Perhaps not likely though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology