Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,837 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in knowing whether there's a correlation between introversion and minimalism. I've noticed that introverts like me live in their heads, so we tend to be less concerned with worldly stuff. In other words, we strive for a simpler life -- one with less clutter and fewer people. Here are a few examples of ways I'm aiming to do just that:

-Possibly not having kids (already created a thread on this)
- Living in an apartment rather than a house -- smaller means less space for junk
- Limiting interactions with people, which can be exhausting. My social circle includes only 3 close friends.
- Spending within or below my means
- Communing with nature
-Avoiding noise and commotion as much as possible
- Reading, writing, painting, and other solitary pursuits

This is what I think of as the "Zen" lifestyle.

Can any of you introverts identify with some or all of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:15 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
This is mostly me.
How ever I don't avoid talking to people I still talk to them if it comes to it but I prefer very few close friends and a stable romantic partner.
For some reason I never have been money driven that much.
I always just needed enough to pay the bills and have a little extra here and there.

Most people would say I'm more zen than wild or crazy but theres nothing wrong with that.
I just would not pair up well with any friends or a woman who wants a super active lifestyle.

Minimalist and Introversion are different things.

Minimalist means you don't need a lot of crazy things to live life. ( Extra luxuries, Fancy Restaurants, super active social life, career, fancy cars, probably basic needs)

I only need my basic needs ( car, apartment, clothes, food etc) and probably some small trips here and there and an occasational starbucks drinks

And Introversion.
Introversion is one of the major personality traits identified in many theories of personality. People who are introverted tend to be inward turning, or focused more on internal thoughts, feelings and moods rather than seeking out external stimulation. Introversion is generally viewed as existing as part of a continuum along with extraversion. Introversion indicates one end of the scale, while extraversion represents the other end.

The terms introversion and extraversion were popularized through the work of Carl Jung and later became central parts of other prominent theories including the big 5 theory of personality. The introversion-extraversion dimension is also one of the four areas identified by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). According to many theories of personality, everyone has some degree of both introversion and extraversion. However, people often tend to lean one way or the other.

Introverts tend to be more quiet, reserved, and introspective. Unlike extroverts who gain energy from social interaction, introverts have to expend energy in social situations. After attending a party or spending time in a large group of people, introverts often feel a need to "recharge" by spending a period of time alone.

Common Introversion Traits
Introversion is marked by a number of different sub-traits:

Very self-aware
Thoughtful
Enjoys understanding details
Interested in self-knowledge and self-understanding
Tends to keep emotions private
Quiet and reserved in large groups or around unfamiliar people
More sociable and gregarious around people they know well
Learns well through observation

So with this said.
This is mostly me as well.
I am not a social freak at all I tend to be close to very few people and I prefer it that way I love to spend time alone but I love to spend time with someone as well at certains and certainly have a stable gf I can get along with.

Last edited by CosmoStars; 05-02-2016 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Aside from the obvious ones such as minimizing human interactions, the rest of your list doesn't hold. Some introverts create things that take up space. Or they just like to have lots of space around them. That likely rules out apartments.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:57 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Totally not me.

I'm a pretty extreme introvert, but I'm very sentimental about the past, and that includes objects from the past. I have a house that's all mine, filled with things I love, that evoke memories of my own life, or thoughts about different periods in history. I'm very organized, so all my stuff is not "clutter." It's all in its place. But I do have a lot of stuff. I like to look at a picture or piece of art and smile at a memory it evokes, or just smile because it makes me smile. I buy some antique objects, not for their monetary value, but for how they affect me. I love that I have my own place and that I have the luxury to surround myself with stuff I like instead of stuff someone else likes, or even that "compromise" with a little bit of both.

I also believe in disaster preparation (disasters can include natural or manmade disasters or even me suddenly becoming unemployed or sick) so I like having a whole basement with lots of storage. I have non-perishable food, water, and household supplies that will last me a decent amount of time, or allow me to help others in need.

I also LOVE books, and I can't borrow or lend books. I must own them. So I have tons of (well organized) books all over my house, in shelves in every room. In fact the main reason I don't have a smaller house (it's 3BR) is because of my books.

I also love animals and have pets, so they require a good amount of space and "stuff."

I had my own apartment for years, but that was because I was younger and poorer. I didn't like having people on the other side of the walls, or having to murmur greetings to people in the entry.

I'm pretty frugal with my money, and don't spend impulsively. Those "luxuries" I buy are planned and budgeted for. I value saving money, mainly because as an introvert, I never want to be financially dependent on anyone else.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:09 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
I'm an introvert and I do strive for a minimalist lifestyle but it wasn't always that way so I don't see how they correlate. After moving a few times and being older, I am less concerned with material items. I see how I only use a few items or wear a few things I really like and barely touch the rest so I'm going to buy a lot less. I have always had a few friends around but I'm starting to dislike this lifestyle and will aim to have more friends. A lot of my close friends are introverts as well so they don't like to go out that much. I'm still quite social or aim to be and I have found happiness being around a lot of people especially when there isn't a lot of pressure for me to say something all the time but I can still contribute if I have something to say.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:34 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Introvert with rooms full of books, some of those books cause clutter. Also supplies for various hobbies and crafts. I think because I do spend a lot of time in my head I maybe don't pay as much attention to my surroundings, so some clutter just flies under the radar for me.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
We're pretty minimalist and enjoy simplifying, but it's not because we're introverted.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:58 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I'm interested in knowing whether there's a correlation between introversion and minimalism. I've noticed that introverts like me live in their heads, so we tend to be less concerned with worldly stuff. In other words, we strive for a simpler life -- one with less clutter and fewer people. Here are a few examples of ways I'm aiming to do just that:

-Possibly not having kids (already created a thread on this)
- Living in an apartment rather than a house -- smaller means less space for junk
- Limiting interactions with people, which can be exhausting. My social circle includes only 3 close friends.
- Spending within or below my means
- Communing with nature
-Avoiding noise and commotion as much as possible
- Reading, writing, painting, and other solitary pursuits

This is what I think of as the "Zen" lifestyle.

Can any of you introverts identify with some or all of these?
Sounds like me, but that I live in an urban part of the country. Sometimes the noise and expense get to me, but there are all of those nice, quiet museums to escape into, and I like to take long walks by myself. D.C. is great for that. So much parkland. When I want temporary companionship, I go with any one of a few Meet-Up or hiking groups. When I've had my fill of humanity, I go home and get back to the reading, writing, etc. in my nice 1BR. No kids, can't imagine being married again.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:10 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
I could never do an apartment. Too many people. I'd feel like Seinfeld when he "had" to interact with tenants in the hall.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 05-02-2016 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 11:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Hah, I've lived in so many apartment buildings where you NEVER EVER saw the neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology