Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:39 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,037 times

Advertisements

I was curious to learn about the key difference between an extrovert and an introvert brain, and what makes us feel so drained in certain environments, so I looked up a quick read and here's a possible answer which other fellow introverts and beloved extroverts may find interesting.

It's all about how we react to dopamine.
Here's the scientific explanation for why introverts like being alone - Introvert, Dear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:46 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Introverts are shaping up to be the next protected class.

"Introverts, unite! (Separately ... In your own homes.)"

Old 05-03-2016, 08:10 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,441,022 times
Thanks for the article. Just yesterday, I had to interact a whole lot for hours it seemed. Frankly, I enjoyed most of it, but I was also trying to escape, and I was utterly pooped out afterwords.

In retrospect, I think that is one reason why when I was in the college dorms, interacting and living in very close proximately to so many people I was often overtired, even when I had a lot of sleep. I was too young to realize it was a bit against my nature.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:28 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
When I have been out more than a few days in a row it takes me a day or so to recuperate. I just want to stay in and not even answer my phone. Thank goodness I took early retirement.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:38 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,208 times
I read the thing about being an introverted extrovert and im about 99% sure thats me because I am very outgoing for the most part and want to be out and about, but basically on my terms and when I am comfortable in a social situation, otherwise I would rather stay home. How would one deal with this?

Old 05-06-2016, 12:49 AM

1,544 posts, read 924,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I read the thing about being an introverted extrovert and im about 99% sure thats me because I am very outgoing for the most part and want to be out and about, but basically on my terms and when I am comfortable in a social situation, otherwise I would rather stay home. How would one deal with this?
I would often go to quiet places like the library or a café. The beach is cool to an extent, but I feel out of place being around those who want to follow the crowd.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:29 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,219 times
Interesting article, and I can completely relate with becoming worn out after being with a group of people. I like to interact with others, but in small groups...anything larger than say, 7-8 people and I start getting stressed, and find that I don't enjoy myself at all. I just want to leave. So when the company I work for holds its annual workshop for all staff (50+ employees), I absolutely dread going, even though I work with really nice people, and even though the workshops are geared toward a relaxing, fun atmosphere.

I hate crowded areas. Hate malls. Hate a lot of noise. Give me a quiet setting with a garden or an open field, or just relaxing in front of the tv at home, and I'm in heaven. Interestingly though, my sister is the complete opposite of me. She's an extrovert, and even just going to visit her can play absolute havoc on me. I find that once I'm there, within 5 minutes I am fighting the urge to go home - even though I'd looked forward to the visit. My sis has two teenagers who are very loud (they often shout rather than speak in a normal tone), and they often have their friends over; she has a dog barks a lot - has a very high, sharp bark - and an extremely loud parrot...when he starts squawking he doesn't stop, and he drowns out everything. Oh, and the tv is usually turned on an turned up, even if no one is watching it. It's a very hectic, chaotic household, and my sister thrives on it. For me, if I had to spend more than a couple of hours there I'd go crazy. Funny how the two of us came from the same parents... we're as different as night and day.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
My DH says I am an extrovert. I do not identify as an introvert. I want to assure you that interacting with people for several hours is draining for me.

I worked for years at a job where I talked to people all the time. I was mentally exhausted many, many evenings.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:44 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My DH says I am an extrovert. I do not identify as an introvert. I want to assure you that interacting with people for several hours is draining for me.

I worked for years at a job where I talked to people all the time. I was mentally exhausted many, many evenings.
That's what an introvert is. (The bold.)

Too many people think introversion is a synonym for nerdy or awkward or shy or someone with social anxiety. It's not.

Something interesting from the article when it speaks about the para vs. sympathetic nervous systems. It says, "Thinking is reduced, and we become prepared to make snap decisions." in the sympathetic, which is where extroverts usually are when they feel energized. Does this translate into more extroverts doing silly or unsafe things when out and about? Or is it just peer pressure (or alcohol).

Interesting stuff.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:48 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

It sounds like you could be more of an ambivert than an extrovert, then.
Ambiverts are in the middle between introversion and extroversion, and can feel drained when they're around many people but they don't really identify as introverts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
That's what an introvert is. (The bold.)

Too many people think introversion is a synonym for nerdy or awkward or shy or someone with social anxiety. It's not.

Something interesting from the article when it speaks about the para vs. sympathetic nervous systems. It says, "Thinking is reduced, and we become prepared to make snap decisions." in the sympathetic, which is where extroverts usually are when they feel energized. Does this translate into more extroverts doing silly or unsafe things when out and about? Or is it just peer pressure (or alcohol).

Interesting stuff.
No, I think that's just peer pressure and alcohol (United to wreck havoc).
They just happen to be more likely to sucumb to both of them, at least when they're younger when you're most likely to be called a party pooper if you don't binge drink. Plenty of introverts fall for it, too, when they're still trying to figure out what's going on, why can't they enjoy partying as much as other teens? When we play pretend and try to behave as the extroverts do because everyone insists that's how healthy people behave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology