Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 01:14 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times

Advertisements

I tend to think that some people put way too much stock in the Myers-Briggs personality types. But still, there's something to it, and sometimes the validity smacks me in the face.

This is a little article about what each personality type likes to do for fun. I'm ISTJ, and that paragraph could actually be written about me. And although I'm strongly I T and J, I'm closer to the mid-range on the Sensing--Intuiting continuum, and on some brief tests I come up as INTJ. The INTJ paragraph also feels pretty close to me, but not as much as the ISTJ paragraph.

I love doing research on topics for fun and relaxation, just like it says. I feel very good when I accomplish some sort of project, and I get satisfaction and even joy by looking at my accomplishment over and over, even more than any satisfaction I'd ever get by showing it to someone else and getting positive feedback. The nostalgia thing: me. The animal thing: me. And if I do have to go out, I definitely prefer a quiet dinner or a comedy show over some dance place, a party, a strenuous outing, an athletic event or a loud concert.

Does this article hit you as valid too?

The Little Things That Each Myers-Briggs Type Finds Fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 01:36 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
I'm an ISTP and have been retested twice and both times an ISTP. The link article is very simplistic and I have read other descriptions on my type and it was spooky how close I was to the description. I worked in a company with 100 other engineers and almost all of them were ISTJ's and it was obvious the difference between us. The few Other types like me were already friends and for some reason had bonded.

On the longer description of ISTP's it said that most ISTP's become Pilots, Police, Firemen, Military, and engineering. Here's the weird part I have been all those at one time or another.

So, yes, I believe that Myers Briggs has a handle on personality types.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:47 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I tend to think that some people put way too much stock in the Myers-Briggs personality types. But still, there's something to it, and sometimes the validity smacks me in the face.

Does this article hit you as valid too?

Nope, couldn't find a personality that fit my "Fun" things to do....

Old 05-08-2016, 02:10 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Where I think the M-B analysis is helpful is where it recommends professions for people to go into, according to type. There are a lot of young people out there who need that type of guidance. And not-so-young people, too. It's good for people considering a career change to check into.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
My grad program cracks me up, because about half the department (mostly the experimental psych people and the neuropsych, who are very science/research/statistics-oriented) is openly derisive of personality assessments like the MBTI, and half (mostly the counseling psych, career counselors, etc.) is pro using it, along with a hefty grain of salt, as a tool.

I've taken the actual clinical use MBTI, as an assignment for a class (versus the free online approximations), and also in the past in my undergrad, and every time I take either the real-deal assessment or a free MBTI "type" test, I consistently "get" the same type. But its hard for me to really assess how reliable and/or valid an instrument it is.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I took the online MB test and then read he description linked to by the OP. It describes me pretty well, although I don't think it describes all of me.

I have trouble with tests like this. I don't feel I am always the same way in all cases.

But the description sounds pretty good for me in a superficial way.

I am apparently an ENFP.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I waffle between ENTP and ENFP oVer the years. Both are pretty accurate for me.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I took the online MB test and then read he description linked to by the OP. It describes me pretty well, although I don't think it describes all of me.

I have trouble with tests like this. I don't feel I am always the same way in all cases.

But the description sounds pretty good for me in a superficial way.

I am apparently an ENFP.
One of the criticisms of different assessment tools modeled after the MBTI is that they questions are often written so that reponses are fairly easy to skew dependent upon context.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:53 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
Well. I dunno about the validity of this but......I find myself on the fence between 2 types. I have taken these type of tests multiple times and I always fall into the same 2 categories. The descriptions in that link for those 2 nail me nearly perfectly. Scary close. Then again after reading all of them I notice many of them just reword the same things. So.....

Old 05-09-2016, 08:58 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I'm an ISTP and have been retested twice and both times an ISTP. The link article is very simplistic and I have read other descriptions on my type and it was spooky how close I was to the description. I worked in a company with 100 other engineers and almost all of them were ISTJ's and it was obvious the difference between us. The few Other types like me were already friends and for some reason had bonded.

On the longer description of ISTP's it said that most ISTP's become Pilots, Police, Firemen, Military, and engineering. Here's the weird part I have been all those at one time or another.

So, yes, I believe that Myers Briggs has a handle on personality types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where I think the M-B analysis is helpful is where it recommends professions for people to go into, according to type. There are a lot of young people out there who need that type of guidance. And not-so-young people, too. It's good for people considering a career change to check into.

To be clear, this was meant to be a simplistic article, just about things the different types find "fun." it was not a complete description of the personality types and their career aptitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology