Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:38 PM

529 posts, read 508,287 times

Advertisements

Dayum. Takara Allen looks fineeeee. Jesus Chrsit, there are women like her on Tinder? How to I tinder and end up on a date with a Takara Allen? She still available ? I could care less how she or anyone else wants to identify. You want to call yourself a native-america, irish, black, chinise, mexican, I don't care. Let's do this thang!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 01:41 PM

529 posts, read 508,287 times
She's Australian too! OMG. She is perfect. Contacting Takara Allen now. I will let you know how our first date goes!!!!

Old 05-16-2016, 07:27 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There is no "should." Identify how you choose to identify. It's your life.
I agree.

~~~

But doesn't the very act of "identifying" as something rule out any other options? You can't "choose" to identify with something, can you? Either you do or you don't. Take the whole gender-identity thing; you can't just choose to identify with the gender you are, it has to be there naturally. Otherwise, there'd be no problem.

Also, if you're a certain percentage of a certain race, then that's what you are. The conversation is over.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:51 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
But everyone is saying she is not even black and looks very white (probably filters) and already wears blue contacts and so on,she seems a bit ridiculous with her I'm black,I'm black etc.
https://www.instagram.com/takarawinel/

Even though she is probably 30 percent black.
You can still tell she's black-ish. She cannot unmistakably pass for a white girl. Regardless of what percentage black she is, you can still see she's got it in her. I looked at her page, and when she's not wearing colored contacts and when her hair is curly, she looks more black.

I think a person should identify by what they look like, not what they are mixed with. Obama is half white but he cannot pass for a white man. After all, you cannot look black unless you ARE.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Considering in American history, you had to identify as black with as little as 1/8 black heritage. Looking "black" is quite meaningless. This has spilled over into modern racial classifications. As for the woman in question, she looks "black" to me as I have cousins that look like her. Some with 2 "black" parents. And some with one. Identify how you feel like. But keep in mind a lot of racial identity is based on how you are perceived.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Yes, reconciling how we perceive ourselves to how the world perceives us can be a confusing process.

I would have initially guessed the girl was Latina. I do find it a MAJOR turnoff when black women feel the need to abandon their natural beauty in an effort to conform to someone else's idea of how they "should" look. I interpret that as weakness.
You apparently don't notice that our society tells black women in particular they are not pretty and these comments are generally not inclusive of all types of black. There is a story every month about a black woman or child who gets in trouble wearing there natural hair to school or work because it is "distracting." Just 2 days ago a cartoonist drew a pic of Michelle Obama and Melania Trump implying Obama was unfeminine and was not a real First Lady while Trump would be. It's not a sign of weakness but survival.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:20 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
It looks like I may have misinterpreted the use of the word "identify" in this thread. I was assuming it meant how you felt as a person, how you saw yourself, what you related to, not how you would "label" yourself for others.

Anyway, back on topic.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:47 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,263 times
I do notice since I grew up in that culture.

Just because someone/society says you are "wrong" in some superficial way, does not mean you have to accept it -- especially when you know it is not true. If you do, then you are more wrong than the people criticizing you (and thus weak, as I said).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You apparently don't notice that our society tells black women in particular they are not pretty and these comments are generally not inclusive of all types of black. There is a story every month about a black woman or child who gets in trouble wearing there natural hair to school or work because it is "distracting." Just 2 days ago a cartoonist drew a pic of Michelle Obama and Melania Trump implying Obama was unfeminine and was not a real First Lady while Trump would be. It's not a sign of weakness but survival.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:11 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I notice this a bit more. Looking at comments with media. Whenever a woman is light-skinned, and attractive, people will say they're everything but black, even throwing out options that are not ethnicities. I hear some comment on some stars "She's not black, she Latina." And Latina is not an ethnicity. There are black, white, and Indian Latinas. Being Latina means very little as to whether someone has black, or African may be the proper term, in them. But the light skinned, more conventionally attractive women will be perceived as mixed, or something else entirely, but not "black."

The adult film actress Dee Baker. A pretty woman. She is Latina I believe, but I think she has some black in her.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/silve...43817_1000.jpg
But, once again you hear the comments "She's not black." Someone even said on one site "She's in a lot of black-themed movies, it's like they wanna sell her as a black woman, or something."

It seems this is something that goes on more with black women. There seems to be a certain bias with what makes for attractive with black women, Lighter skin, straight hair, and smaller features will get more attention as attractive. to a broader audience. Maybe full lips at best are fine.

Looking at the girl in the OP, yeah, she looks black. As stated, people should identify however they see fit. Other people's stereotypes or ignorance shouldn't stop you.

Last edited by HappyRain; 05-18-2016 at 09:31 AM..

Old 05-18-2016, 10:22 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post

There seems to be a certain bias with what makes for attractive with black women, Lighter skin, straight hair, and smaller features will get more attention as attractive. to a broader audience. Maybe full lips at best are fine.

Ironically, tanning, lip injections, and butt implants -- the very things that give non-black women the attributes that have always been associated with black women -- are popular. So there is obviously something else going on in the psyches of people who denigrate black women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology