Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:38 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,143,505 times

Advertisements

Consuming, seething envy is a little strange to me. I've always been a bit of a "don't get mad, get even" sort of guy when it comes to personal success. In terms of socioeconomic status and generally happiness, I've done better than some, not as well as others, and really that's OK.

Help me out here, C-D:

"Must be nice!"...from an ex who didn't make much money and found it disturbing I could shop at nicer clothiers. I'm single, always will be, with good income. She chose to have a child with her ex, leave him (divorce), and suffer the single mother's curse of seldom having quite enough for a comfortable lifestyle. Life is tough for many single moms, 'tis true. That has...what exactly...to do with me...?

"Must be nice!"...when I have time for personally fulfilling trips domestically and internationally, to explore a new-to-me place, culture, or hobby. They've chosen to have a wife (or husband), and/or one to many children, and take the income and time hit. Those decisions, regretful as they may be in my opinion, do consume time and resources. I seldom if-ever outwardly judge their choices one way or the other...?

"Must be nice!" ...when I turn up with a new sports car, every five years or so. That's my thing: I've saved for retirement, make the mortgage promptly, and am blessed with extra income. See above: that results from choices, not Leprechauns, Faery Dust, or buying lottery tickets. Men needs hobbies, that's one of mine...?

My life isn't perfect. There are probably more than a few folks within ten blocks with greater income, who perhaps even feel themselves more fulfilled than me in their relationships, parenthood, careers, other choices they've made.

Bully for them, I say. What, i should envy that and "Must be nice?" in a sarcastic way to them, too? See second sentence, above. I just...don't...get it. Never have.

Obviously, it does bother me a bit to hear these comments, though. My sarcasm meter can be lower than most, smarminess sometimes sails right over my head though if it's obvious enough, I do get it.

Someone take a crack at explaining Schadenfreude for me, people, though strictly speaking I suppose that's dwelling on someone's "mis" -fortune, not envying others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 05:54 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
There is only one proper way to respond to that expression of jealousy: Just say, "Yes, it is." No snark or arrogance, just a flat statement of affirmation.

After all, there is NO way to say, "Must be nice!" that doesn't come with a . You're right; they aren't trying to share any happiness with you. They're just trying to drag you down to their level of misery.

Just don't take the bait, don't let it make you quiet. Just move forward. It is their issue, not yours.

Of course, you should leave out all the judgy stuff you wrote about THEIR life choices.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:40 AM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
I don't think the comment as sarcastic or coming from jealousy.

In my experience, "Must be nice!" come from exasperation or simply a desire to shut the other person up. The person saying that can be tired of the bragging.

Your post comes across as judgmental and braggy.
You do not just get new cars.... you get new sports cars every five years, while they chose a spouse and children.
etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Just say, "Yes, it is." No snark or arrogance, just a flat statement of affirmation.
That works, both for you and the listener.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:06 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
When I encounter self satisfied braggers, I never say "Must be nice". I say "That's nice". And I repeat it until they get I don't care about their sports car or whatever. I'm glad for people who are doing well and enjoying their lives, but there's a difference between those who are and yet feel no need to brag about it and the bragging by people who live to convince others they are "winning" life.

People value different things. Just because someone feels the need to crow about their choices or what they own doesn't mean the other person is jealous if they don't respond in a manner you find appropriate. In their head they may be thinking they wouldn't want or enjoy your life at all.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:45 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
When I encounter self satisfied braggers, I never say "Must be nice". I say "That's nice". And I repeat it until they get I don't care about their sports car or whatever. I'm glad for people who are doing well and enjoying their lives, but there's a difference between those who are and yet feel no need to brag about it and the bragging by people who live to convince others they are "winning" life.

People value different things. Just because someone feels the need to crow about their choices or what they own doesn't mean the other person is jealous if they don't respond in a manner you find appropriate. In their head they may be thinking they wouldn't want or enjoy your life at all.
Such as OP?

Old 05-13-2016, 08:23 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Bully for them, I say. What, i should envy that and "Must be nice?" in a sarcastic way to them, too? See second sentence, above. I just...don't...get it. Never have.

Obviously, it does bother me a bit to hear these comments, though.
Wait...

First you act as if you take pleasure in the fact that you are more successful than these people - but then in the same post you say their comments bother you??

So which is it?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Wait...

First you act as if you take pleasure in the fact that you are more successful than these people - but then in the same post you say their comments bother you??

So which is it?
Thought I mentioned that "successful" is in the eye of the beholder...how one defines it is quite personal.

It's when someone looks at another and says "must be nice..." that I start to grow a bit puzzled. Yes, it, umm, is nice to live my life, via my choices? Isn't living your life via your choices nice too?

That's the question, hey? I take pleasure in none of the above, but do try and get along with others. Smart### comments like "must be nice" don't usually lead to interpersonal harmony.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:57 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Consuming, seething envy is a little strange to me. I've always been a bit of a "don't get mad, get even" sort of guy when it comes to personal success. In terms of socioeconomic status and generally happiness, I've done better than some, not as well as others, and really that's OK.

"Must be nice!"...when I have time for personally fulfilling trips domestically and internationally, to explore a new-to-me place, culture, or hobby. They've chosen to have a wife (or husband), and/or one to many children, and take the income and time hit. Those decisions, regretful as they may be in my opinion, do consume time and resources. I seldom if-ever outwardly judge their choices one way or the other...?

"Must be nice!" ...when I turn up with a new sports car, every five years or so. That's my thing: I've saved for retirement, make the mortgage promptly, and am blessed with extra income. See above: that results from choices, not Leprechauns, Faery Dust, or buying lottery tickets. Men needs hobbies, that's one of mine...?

My life isn't perfect. There are probably more than a few folks within ten blocks with greater income, who perhaps even feel themselves more fulfilled than me in their relationships, parenthood, careers, other choices they've made.
...but some examples you gave certainly do sound like bragging. If you are saying these things
on a regular basis to people (which I think you do) obviously some may find them annoying and
repetitive. So the quickest solution or their chance to escape is to say that phrase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I don't think the comment as sarcastic or coming from jealousy.
In my experience, "Must be nice!" come from exasperation or simply a desire to shut the other person up. The person saying that can be tired of the bragging.
Your post comes across as judgmental and braggy.
You do not just get new cars.... you get new sports cars every five years, while they chose a spouse and children.
etc.
That works, both for you and the listener.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post

^^

Old 05-14-2016, 07:32 AM

486 posts, read 991,884 times
I get where you are coming from, I have had family members and coworkers tell me "Must be nice to be able to go [insert a vacation destination, usually overseas/Europe]"

They seem to always say it in a sneery sort of way, implying that because I am single and with no kids, that I can spend my money on vacations and traveling, while they HAVE to spend their money on their kids/mortgage/house, etc.

Choices. I chose not to have kids and I enjoy traveling so I make sure to find a way to always have to the time and money for my enjoyment. My family members chose to get married, have kids, get the house with the mortgage, therefore they will not have much time or money for traveling overseas. It is what it is.

Anyway, I don't see where the OP is bragging. He is just telling it like it is.

[BlondeBaerde, cool blog you have, I look forward to reading it]

Old 05-14-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I get where you are coming from, I have had family members and coworkers tell me "Must be nice to be able to go [insert a vacation destination, usually overseas/Europe]"

They seem to always say it in a sneery sort of way, implying that because I am single and with no kids, that I can spend my money on vacations and traveling, while they HAVE to spend their money on their kids/mortgage/house, etc.

Choices. I chose not to have kids and I enjoy traveling so I make sure to find a way to always have to the time and money for my enjoyment. My family members chose to get married, have kids, get the house with the mortgage, therefore they will not have much time or money for traveling overseas. It is what it is.

Anyway, I don't see where the OP is bragging. He is just telling it like it is.

[BlondeBaerde, cool blog you have, I look forward to reading it]
Eh. I started this thread calling for opinions, receiving several thus far I don't particularly understand. That is okay, I reckon: read, ponder, grow. Welcome to C-D.

Yes, it's the "sneery" part I find mildly offensive, hurtful, or simply puzzling. Best to mostly keep quiet, apparently, to not be perceived as a braggart, though timidity isn't my style. I'm all-for others finding their own version of success and/or simple happiness, simply asking in-return they not trample mine.

So you travel, great. To the theme of the thread, I like to hear travel stories about interesting destinations. I'm inspired, not jealous, and don't make snotty comments if at current I can't afford the time/money to also travel to that destination. Last year I saved most of a year to spend three weeks on an African adventure very few would tackle, and gained a lifetime of interesting stories and memories. I was inspired by a friend-of-a-friend, who is a minor celebrity in the UK. Not by smart*** "must be nice" from the Ex- and others who had made different life-choices.

Yes, that is simply how it is. Appreciate the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology